Help on prepping for MCAT, applying this summer!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golfandmedicine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I am currently a junior and very excited about going into podiatry. I have a 3.25 cGPA and a 3.56 sGPA right now and will be graduating winter 2013. I am planning on taking the May MCAT, the only problem is that I have not yet taken physics, and will only have completed the first semester of organic by May. I changed majors and trasferred schools and Im going to graduate on time but most of my science classes will all be in my senior year schedule. Rather than take a year off Im going to commit all free time to learning these subjects.

I am looking at taking the kaplan physics and organic edge classes online to get the groundwork covered and then take the on-campus kaplan structured mcat course.

I got A's in A&P, and gen chem, B+ in bio, and I excel in math so I think I can do okay in physics with a good prep course and a lot of studying.

All opinions will be helpful and appreciated, and pretty much everyone I've spoken with has said take a year off and study after taking the courses. I just really don't want to sit around for a year after graduation.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I am currently a junior and very excited about going into podiatry. I have a 3.25 cGPA and a 3.56 sGPA right now and will be graduating winter 2013. I am planning on taking the May MCAT, the only problem is that I have not yet taken physics, and will only have completed the first semester of organic by May. I changed majors and trasferred schools and Im going to graduate on time but most of my science classes will all be in my senior year schedule. Rather than take a year off Im going to commit all free time to learning these subjects.

I am looking at taking the kaplan physics and organic edge classes online to get the groundwork covered and then take the on-campus kaplan structured mcat course.

I got A's in A&P, and gen chem, B+ in bio, and I excel in math so I think I can do okay in physics with a good prep course and a lot of studying.

All opinions will be helpful and appreciated, and pretty much everyone I've spoken with has said take a year off and study after taking the courses. I just really don't want to sit around for a year after graduation.

I highly recommend taking at least Physics I before taking the MCAT. The MCAT is not as easy as remembering an equation and plugging in numbers--its all about relationships. The MCAT is a beast of a test and you may hurt yourself by rushing things. Make sure to take as many full length practice tests as you can as part of your preparation.

It takes some people longer than others to get. I am a very math/logic oriented person, so a lot of the concepts I could teach myself. Honestly, if you could get your hands on maybe a Kaplan review guide for physics, you would be set. For organic, lets be honest, 99% of the stuff on the MCAT will be content you've never seen before. If you thoroughly understand the driving forces behind mechanisms (and not just memorize mechanisms) you should do fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I am currently a junior and very excited about going into podiatry. I have a 3.25 cGPA and a 3.56 sGPA right now and will be graduating winter 2013. I am planning on taking the May MCAT, the only problem is that I have not yet taken physics, and will only have completed the first semester of organic by May.

Out of curiosity, why are you taking the MCAT this coming May? If you intend on finishing your degree, your application cycle won't open until August 2013, giving you over a year with an MCAT score that you will just be sitting on.... If I was you, I would wait until you finish your pre-reqs, because taking the MCAT over a year early without taking the pre-reqs seems a bit silly to me.

actually my application cycle opens august 2012. I am a junior currently and will graduate april 2013 so i am applying for fall 2013 admittance. I am however taking physics 1 and organic 2 this summer so I may wait until august to take my mcat and submit my app before I get my results back.

actually my application cycle opens august 2012. I am a junior currently and will graduate april 2013 so i am applying for fall 2013 admittance. I am however taking physics 1 and organic 2 this summer so I may wait until august to take my mcat and submit my app before I get my results back.

Oh, your earlier post said that you were graduating winter of 2013..

yup, my original post was still correct.. i'm from michigan and the semesters here are fall and winter so winter semester 2013 ends in april of 2013... sorry about the confusion there

I hadn't yet finished physics when I took the MCAT and did just fine. If you want to brush up on, or even learn a few new concepts then watch the physics playlist by Khans Academy on YouTube. The videos are great and he knows what he's talking about (dude got 3 degrees from MIT and an MBA from Harvard). Also, for a review of chem, I highly recommend watching Chads Videos. You can google it and find it. Videos made by a guy named chad at ASU and he knows his chem like a machine. Both those guys are excellent teachers.

I am using Chad's videos and love them!

Take as many of the AAMC's practice exams as you can get your hands on. That's the best way to prep IMO.

Also, try and notice that most of the time you're given everything you need to answer a question right in the passage, though sometimes it's not as clear as you may expect. Once I realized this it was easy to pick details out of the passages and I excelled.

My entire prep program consisted of two weeks of self administered practice exams from AAMC and eMCAT.com. When I hit a topic I was unsure of I spent a few hours looking it up. I ended up with a 30.

Just relax! The MCAT is hard, sure; but I feel like a lot of people make it a lot harder than it needs to be. It's a test taker's test, strategy is incredibly important. But a clear head, and the absence of anxiety is probably the most important thing you need.

Also, take hard candy to store in your locker. During each restroom break, grab one and eat it. You're going to be burning an awful lot of glucose during the exam. A caffeinated beverage such as a Mt. Dew or Coke before hand can help you focus your thoughts as well.

Best of luck, you're going to do great.