Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Help on recommendation

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by MTY, Jun 27, 2000.

1. MTY

MTY

hi everyone,
    i've just finished talking to my pre-med committee, and they told me that my composite recommendation won't be sent out until October.
    is that going to affect my application? i've sent out my primary applicant a few weeks ago, and now i'm working on my secondary application.
    will the adcom only review my applications after they receive my recommendations?

thank you

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. fiatslug

fiatslug Senior Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Good God, why is it taking them so long?

4. MTY

MTY

i don't know. i was told that there are 32 students ahead of me on the list.

5. MrAnonymous

MrAnonymous Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

You know what you should do! Complain to them. That's what I would do. I would call them up and ask if my grandmother could so that letters could be sent out today. Seriously, we don't have a premedical advisory committee so I don't know how long their letters are... I assume 1-2 pages is more than enough... 32 students?? So..... what they can only do two every one week or something. That's absurd, my Biochem professor will finish my strong letter of recommendation tomorrow and I asked him to do it TODAY!! Premedical committees... thank goodness the UW doesn't have one... its too much beaucracy (did I spell that right?) ehhh..

6. MTY

MTY

Thanks Mr. A
    i tried to push them, at the same, i tried not to upset anyone or this might be the nightmare of my applying to med school.

anyhow, will this delay my chance of applying to med school? or it won't make that much difference?

thanks

7. fiatslug

fiatslug Senior Member

Attending Physician
    I doubt your application will be reviewed (for interviews) until it is complete. You may get secondaries without the recs, but most schools will send secondaries to anyone (ie, they don't screen your AMCAS, your MCATs, etc); they want your money. What school is this? Can you get individual letters from your profs? You might want to have your profs send your letters to a letter service (your career services dept. should have one); they send out all the letters they have for you in a big pile. But, keep in mind that several schools (as I remember) will *insist* that you use the committee letter, if your school offers it.

8. Snoopy

Snoopy Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

If I recall correctly, the secondaries asked you to list all the people who would be sending LORs, including the committee. Most (probably all) of the schools I applied to said they would wait until my file was complete before reviewing it for an interview. It does them no good to spend time looking at an application only to find that they have to come back later and review it again. Unfortunately that leaves you in a frustrating position. If it were me I would be insistent but polite with the committee and explain that the absence of their letter is holding up your application. What would happen if you were applying ED? You couldn't! Maybe you could tell them that you are considering applying ED and that would speed things up??? If you do this by phone, it's not a bad idea to document everything in writing, even sending a letter restating the conversation.

Good luck!!!

9. MrAnonymous

10+ Year Member

Hold on there Snoopy! Applying EDP means you only apply to one school, and if the committee found out that you were lying.. they might not write a good letter for you. I guess you would say what's the odds of that happening. I don't know, but its a risk. And if medical schools found out (ie by the committee) your application would lose a lot of merit. I would say hey premed committee here's ten bucks hire someone!! [​IMG] I'm just joking the way..

------------------
    What's best isn't always what's obvious..

10. Snoopy

Snoopy Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

My suggestion wasn't to lie and say that he was applying ED. If you read what I wrote I suggested that he tell them he was "considering" applying ED. If his LOR is not done until October, his pre-med committee is automatically eliminating it as an option for him. My guess is that he's paying a lot of money for his education and thus for the "services" of the committee and he should have every option at his disposal. You are right, however, that lying about anything in the med school process (anything in life really [​IMG]) is a bad idea.

11. MrAnonymous

10+ Year Member

Does it cost money to have the committee write a letter of recommendation. That would really suck! They already make us pay EXORBITANT secondary application fees. Serioiusly, how hard is it to process one application... $100 bucks please...

12. raindodger

raindodger Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

This begs the question, 'how many pre-meds lie on their med school applications?'

13. MTY

MTY

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions,

i've spoken to my pre-committee, (by the way, it's the post-bac pre-med) and there's no way that i can rush him unless he is done with the 32 applicants ahead of me.

i paid 500 dollars just to get this composite recommendation, now i begin to think if i should go for ind. letter of recommendations. it's only 5 bucks for each school, but without the composite letter.

what do you guys think? or should i send in the individual letters first to complete my file, then send in the composite in October?

thanks,

14. A MAN WITHOUT

A MAN WITHOUT Junior Member

MTY,

Sounds like a familiar situation. I would guess you are in the same post-bac I did and turned in your personal inventory late. Same thing happened to me last year because I waited until I got my MCAT'S before I turned everything in. If you are indeed in the program I think you are there is not much you can do. The guy who writes those letters is pretty much on his own. Med schools really like to see a composite letter. It is a very political thing and I have heard stories of med schools throwing orphan apps into another pile than those from committees. Last year I had my primary out by July first and all of my secondaries done by the end of august. My composite letter didn't go out until September 20th!! Regardless I still got interviews relatively quickly. If I remember right you have posted about MCP and your chances there before. Let me just say this, I have mid 30's MCATs and a mid three's range post-bac gpa. My undergrad is a very well respected school but my undergrad gpa was in the low threes. MCP sent me a letter asking me to an interview about two days after my application became complete. Regardless of what everyone else says on these boards, applying early is not the be all and end all. Yes you may have the chance to interview earlier, but that does not mean you will get in. I had five interviews with my application becoming complete in late september, and I know many others who did it even later. Several of my friends even got into a lot of schools after taking the august MCAT with their apps not getting complete until october. It is not ideal, but I think you will be ok.

15. fiatslug

fiatslug Senior Member

Attending Physician
    Wait a minute, you actually had to fork over $500 for a composite letter? Is paying for composite letters a normal practice? What an explotative ripoff! Re: sending your own letters: I've never heard of med schools putting "orphan" letter applications into a separate pile; my individual letters didn't affect my secondaries, interviews, or admissions [​IMG].

16. MTY

MTY

HI,
    to the 'A Man without',

i want to thank you for your informative message. the recommendation delay has gotten me worried for the past two days. so you think it's really ok for post-bac to send out this late? is it ok if i can ask you a few more questions since we probably have similar route. (e.g. going through the same post-bac)
    my email is [email protected]
    can u also tell me where you applied?

thanks

17. Rock

Rock Member
    10+ Year Member

500 dollars...WOW!!!!!!!!