help on UCLA essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnstoner

Ben Franklin on Hashish
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey SDN

I need help on one essay from UCLA...the creative endeavor, entrepreneural, or leadership question..

honestly, I'm not that creative, I had barely any leadership positions, and I'm not much into entrepreneural stuff. help me figure something out...

Members don't see this ad.

You expect someone to help you with an essay when the only information you gave us is that you have no qualities that you can write about?

i like what you wrote philosopher...sooo hilarious!

anyway, yeah i just needed some brainstorming...wanted to know what other people wrote about...ie. if people were in a similar situation where leadership wasn't thier thing and what other things they had done?

i'm not sure..but i'm in a bind..thats the only essay i can't write about.

i mean i was in charge of cooking the turkey for thanksgiving but thats about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by johnstoner
i was in charge of cooking the turkey for thanksgiving but thats about it.

that's more than i ever did on thanksgiving.

anyway, if you don't have a creative endeavor, all i can say is that... maybe this is perfect opportunity to start one. ;)

youre asking the wrong people for help. your competition ain't about to reveal their application secrets.

Originally posted by scootad.
youre asking the wrong people for help. your competition ain't about to reveal their application secrets.

"i assure you, *our* medical school is kick back" :laugh:

umm...well list some of your ECs or research experiences for us. and we'll try to help your interpret the question in light of what you have done.

there has to be something. you'll figure it out. just start listing stuff and then expound upon one particular event. it doesn't even have to be something that was longlasting (although that's better of course). it can be about one particular instance...

you know what though... like in rare serious mode here... you can turn any stupid thing into something that sounds GREAT. so whatever you did, i'm sure there is something you can make sound really good. that's what politicians do. they sit on their ass and take bribes, then do some little thing here and there and come election time they make commercials with them sitting at their desk signing legislation and showing bulletpoints of all the good things they did.

you said you haven't done "much" leadership stuff. Define that. Perhap we can conjur something up.

Here's an idea of what I did:

I was a medical ethics director at my university. so I did a whole bunch of forums/meetings were we discussed ethics issues.

I was a President for a children's organization in our community that nominated kids from all over the city that eventually got to have their own wall of fame. I helped build 2 such walls.

That's the leadership stuff.

Entrepreneural --

Well, for that I wrote an ethics paper that actually got published in an international bioethics journal. Starting something new; something you didn't have to do but did it anyway; took the risk to birth something nice either in your community or helped others or....etc.

Perhaps you started a club. Perhaps you did something unique in your life? Did you do any international trips? Learn anything from them?

Don't forget that when you have the creative edge, you also end up entrepreneuring something. I like to write a lot. So I picked up a pen and started writing the thesis that eventually got published. It only takes initiative to move from creative edge to entrepreneur. Did you do anything UNIQUE?

That's all the examples I have.

scoot ad...that was mean...anyway, thanks tweetie, street philosopher, and ms Dr.

heres what i did that might be of little relevance...

I was chair of the alumni committee for the economics society but honestly we didn't do much...i just compiled a master list of alumni contacts and tried to coordinate an alumni career fair thing...we didn't see it happening anytime soon.

I was a manager at the bar my mom owned...meaning that I got a liquor commission license and help her out and stuff.

I think i was spending way too much time in the lab working on my projects than worrying about heading an extra curricular activity of some sort...i mean i was involved and all but never in a leadership type thing.

thanks again

hmmmmm

that's tough to work with. Let me ask you--got any bar stories where your personality can shine? Ever done something for somebody at your bar? (eg. I was coming out of a bar once and i saw a person lying on the street who had OD'ed. Thank God for my EMT experience that I knew how to take control of the situation.) Done anythnig like this for a friend? Chances are nil but you gotta think hard.

Also, what about your lab? Was it an independant project? Got any publications from it? Did you discover something new? Something cool?

About the alumni committee--did you guys face any problems that you used your excellent organizational skills to overcome the challenge? Any point in time where your personality was shining through?

Think!!

PS: Isn't it getting late for secondaries? :confused: