Help on which books I need!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Star

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I really need some advice as to which books I should buy for step 1 and where to buy these books. Also, from all of you out there who have been through it, just how much time do you need to prepare for this test.....months, weeks a year or more? Any helpful hints would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

First Aid for Step 1 is a staple for most step 1 takers. I mainly used it as a guide and filled in the space with info I got from other materials. I read 1st Aid twice in the last week of studying. Other good books are Pathology BRS, the High Yield series for your anatomy courses and for pharm, and micro made ridiculously easy. If I had to do it over again, I would invest in a molecular biology study aid (maybe high yield), or I would have studied histo a little more than I did (which wasn't much to begin with). My test had an average of 3-7 molec questions per block. You can't do without Kaplan Q-Bank. My buddy purchased a used set of Kaplan Q-Book and found it to be a good studying set as well.

In other words, there are a ton of good studying materials out there, but some are better than others depending on your personal preference.

As for studying length, that's strictly up to you. Some folks need one month...others begin reading First Aid at the beginning of their second year of medical school. However much time YOU need is how long it should be.

I just thank the good Lord above that I passed and did a little better than I thought. I felt like I had failed the exam after I left. It didn't help that I had an panic attack during the first two blocks.

I'm just happy that I don't have to take nor study that test again.

Puffy makes a really good point. Don't neglect molecular biology. Or cell biology, genetics, and the other bio you learned in undergrad. From taking my own exam and talking to other people, those subjects are getting more emphasis than study guides lead you to believe.

What books do you recommend for Molecular Biology? I also believe that molecular bio. is getting more emphasis on the USMLE I.