Help! Only 1 interviewer at UCLA???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

isa

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been lucky enough to be granted an interview at UCLA, but I called today to find out the schedule and found out that I only have 1 interviewer. This is b/c the students are busy with finals. I have a bad feeling about just getting one interview. All of the other schools provided 2 faculty interviewers instead of a student and can't understand why UCLA won't do this.

Anyway, my interview is already on Wednesday, and I got they're pretty non-accomodating as far as rescheduling interviews. Should I reschedule??? Please give me your input!

Members don't see this ad.

Do one interview...I like that much better than 3 or however many I have gotten elsewhere. I always seem to click really well with one or two of them but then the last one screws me over! I hate that!

Never mind. I just went to interviewfeedback.com. I guess getting one interviewer is common for UCLA interviewees. Doesn't this change the fairness of applicant evals if some have two interviewers and the others only have 1?

Anyway, Scooby, thanks for the response.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had only one also. No worries, the other is suppossed to be with a student. But, since you have lunch with a student anyway, I'm sure their word is just as good as the student interviewers.

1 interviewer is common at UCLA. I did not have a good interviewer and we did not really click.

If you think you were asked inappropriate questions or had a horrible interview for some other good reason, they will reschedule another interview or allow you to submit interview summaries from other schools at which you have been interviewed. They told me that today.

Man, don't have a cow. You'll be fine. Just means you have to knock it out once instead of twice. In my old age, i much prefer that --Trek

Okay...so two interviewers is NOT the consensus among interviews. Although I am quite humbled by not having been accepted anywhere (yet!), I can recount my experiences at each interview with respect to whom interviewed me...here's the breakdown:

Boston University - 1 Clinical Faculty
Columbia University - " "
Cornell University - 1 Clinical, 1 Basic Science
Mount Sinai School of Medicine - 2 Faculty
Northwestern - Panel Interview
NYU School of Medicine - 1 Clinical
University of Pennsylvania - 1 Clinical, 1 Student
University of Pittsburgh - " "
University of Rochester - 1 Clinical, 1 Admin
Washington University - 1 Clinical
Yale University - 2 Clinical
--------------------------------

So you see that its really highly variable between schools and as such, don't infer anything based on your interview breakdown--it also depends
on the availability at each school of faculty.

:)