Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Help! Only 1 interviewer at UCLA???

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by isa, Dec 10, 2001.

1. isa

isa Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I've been lucky enough to be granted an interview at UCLA, but I called today to find out the schedule and found out that I only have 1 interviewer. This is b/c the students are busy with finals. I have a bad feeling about just getting one interview. All of the other schools provided 2 faculty interviewers instead of a student and can't understand why UCLA won't do this.

Anyway, my interview is already on Wednesday, and I got they're pretty non-accomodating as far as rescheduling interviews. Should I reschedule??? Please give me your input!

2. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo IEatShavedPussyCats
    10+ Year Member

Do one interview...I like that much better than 3 or however many I have gotten elsewhere. I always seem to click really well with one or two of them but then the last one screws me over! I hate that!

3. isa

isa Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Never mind. I just went to interviewfeedback.com. I guess getting one interviewer is common for UCLA interviewees. Doesn't this change the fairness of applicant evals if some have two interviewers and the others only have 1?

Anyway, Scooby, thanks for the response.

4. TwoSteveSquared

TwoSteveSquared Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I had only one also. No worries, the other is suppossed to be with a student. But, since you have lunch with a student anyway, I'm sure their word is just as good as the student interviewers.

5. EpiII

EpiII Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

1 interviewer is common at UCLA. I did not have a good interviewer and we did not really click.

If you think you were asked inappropriate questions or had a horrible interview for some other good reason, they will reschedule another interview or allow you to submit interview summaries from other schools at which you have been interviewed. They told me that today.

6. Trek

Trek Grand Uranium Member
    7+ Year Member

Man, don't have a cow. You'll be fine. Just means you have to knock it out once instead of twice. In my old age, i much prefer that --Trek

7. The Fly

The Fly Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Okay...so two interviewers is NOT the consensus among interviews. Although I am quite humbled by not having been accepted anywhere (yet!), I can recount my experiences at each interview with respect to whom interviewed me...here's the breakdown:

Boston University - 1 Clinical Faculty
    Columbia University - " "
    Cornell University - 1 Clinical, 1 Basic Science
    Mount Sinai School of Medicine - 2 Faculty
    Northwestern - Panel Interview
    NYU School of Medicine - 1 Clinical
    University of Pennsylvania - 1 Clinical, 1 Student
    University of Pittsburgh - " "
    University of Rochester - 1 Clinical, 1 Admin
    Washington University - 1 Clinical
    Yale University - 2 Clinical
    --------------------------------

So you see that its really highly variable between schools and as such, don't infer anything based on your interview breakdown--it also depends
    on the availability at each school of faculty.

:)