1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Help! organic question...

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by highfly413, Nov 1, 2002.

1. highfly413

highfly413 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

hi - i have an organic problem here that i'm struggling with. i was wondering if anyone knows how to do it??

1) what steps what i use to to make a cyclohexane singly bonded to another cyclohexane?? (using only CO2, ethanol and cyclohexanol as the sources of carbon)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. AcidETCH

AcidETCH UPENN SDM '07
    7+ Year Member

It's been a while since I took Organic Chem.
    This is what I think, but you should definitely look it up.

1. You would have to get the -OH on the cyclohexanol to =O with the CO2 and EtOH, that way you create a partial +ve charge on the C that's attached to the O.

ie. (C5H10)-C-OH -------> (C5H10)-C=O
    ring | ring |
    H H

Substrate A Product B

2. Product B will undergo a process where you will get a double bond between 2 C, where 1 of the C will have a +ve charge and the O will have a full negative charge (-v) -----Can't remember the term for it. I think it's something like enolization(?) sorry can't remember.

This enolized(?) version of Product B will interact with product B to get the two cyclohexanes joined together each having a single OH on it.

3. You would then reduce the 2 OHs by using a reducing agent.

I think that's how you do it. Like I said, you better check it up in the org. chem. text. because I'm doing this problem from the top of my head. I hope it helps you on the right track.

AE

4. highfly413

highfly413 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

hey acidetch,

i appreciate you taking the time to help me out. i think you've got me on the righ track. thanks again.

-highfly413