Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Help! organic question...

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by highfly413, Nov 1, 2002.

1. highfly413

highfly413 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

hi - i have an organic problem here that i'm struggling with. i was wondering if anyone knows how to do it??

1) what steps what i use to to make a cyclohexane singly bonded to another cyclohexane?? (using only CO2, ethanol and cyclohexanol as the sources of carbon)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. AcidETCH

AcidETCH UPENN SDM '07
    7+ Year Member

It's been a while since I took Organic Chem.
    This is what I think, but you should definitely look it up.

1. You would have to get the -OH on the cyclohexanol to =O with the CO2 and EtOH, that way you create a partial +ve charge on the C that's attached to the O.

ie. (C5H10)-C-OH -------> (C5H10)-C=O
    ring | ring |
    H H

Substrate A Product B

2. Product B will undergo a process where you will get a double bond between 2 C, where 1 of the C will have a +ve charge and the O will have a full negative charge (-v) -----Can't remember the term for it. I think it's something like enolization(?) sorry can't remember.

This enolized(?) version of Product B will interact with product B to get the two cyclohexanes joined together each having a single OH on it.

3. You would then reduce the 2 OHs by using a reducing agent.

I think that's how you do it. Like I said, you better check it up in the org. chem. text. because I'm doing this problem from the top of my head. I hope it helps you on the right track.

AE

4. highfly413

highfly413 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

hey acidetch,

i appreciate you taking the time to help me out. i think you've got me on the righ track. thanks again.

-highfly413