HELP! Pathology Notes by Goljan or Rapid Review by Goljan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

med00

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. So I had a PDF version of High Yield Pathology Notes For USMLE step 1 by Dr. Goljan. Are these notes a good alternative to Rapid Review book by Goljan?

I ask because i have about 7 weeks till my test and i'm not sure how i can go through 600 pages, have a good understanding of stuff..and be able to go through all the questions and go through FA as much as i want to..so i thought i'd ask. i feel like i can definately memorize the 200 pages and have it down..but really not sure if i can do the same for the Rapid Review book.

Thanks for your help!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
i'll suggest u memorize the high yield and us RR for reference when u need to. Also scan RR for any key points u might have missed after each system or chapter. U'll be fine!

Hi. So I had a PDF version of High Yield Pathology Notes For USMLE step 1 by Dr. Goljan. Are these notes a good alternative to Rapid Review book by Goljan?

I ask because i have about 7 weeks till my test and i'm not sure how i can go through 600 pages, have a good understanding of stuff..and be able to go through all the questions and go through FA as much as i want to..so i thought i'd ask. i feel like i can definately memorize the 200 pages and have it down..but really not sure if i can do the same for the Rapid Review book.

Thanks for your help!!

From what I heard from an upperclassman, the "PDF version of High Yield Pathology Notes" is not good, comparing to the published book version, Rapid Review Pathology. So if you really run out of time, you can read the blue boxes/points in the book instead of PDF.

Honestly truth be told, a lot of Goljan's "high yield" points were utterly useless for me. I got maybe one or two extra questions by listening to Goljan. There was nothing on the exam I knew which I didn't get from doing a combo of First Aid, Kaplan qbank and UW, and Kaplan lecs.

I get the feeling that the NBME is pretty aware of the Goljan high yield stuff and they're trying to move away from questions on those topics. That is not to say that you won't get them... just that it's not an absolute necessity to listen to him.

Members don't see this ad :)
Q about Goljan's nutrition lecture - he says that the perifollicular hemorrhage seen in ppl with vit C deficiency look like ringed sideroblasts. do these ppl wiht vit C def actually have ringed sideroblasts ?

RR Goljan book is better to go through with your courses. If you have already had all your path courses then I wouldn't waste time on it unless you want to use it as a reference. I would listen to his audio for sure, and supplement with the High Yield notes if you have time. The High Yield Notes aren't really that important.

Thanks for your help!!

Hey, I have been using Goljan 125 page pdf because i find it to be sufficient. I have a copy of Rapid review but i do not think i will have enough time to go through it multiple times in order to fully grasp, understand and remember the concepts. So i would suggest to use the PDF and get a hold of Pathoma. Pathoma is only 200 pages in length (little more than the pdf) and read it mutiple times. Hope this helps!