Help Picking School List Please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Foodie5

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I would appreciate any help or input that you have and I am making a list of schools that I am applying to. Here is some information about me:

sGPA and cGPA: 4.0 from a top 50 school

MCAT: 514 (130/124/129/131)

From New York

Over represented in Medicine

Pretty good clinical experience, worked at an ophthalmology clinic as a technician for half a year (1000 hours), as an EMT for a year (about 1000 hours), and shadowed (about 100 hours)

I have decent volunteering experience as a health teacher for undeserved students (150 hours about) and did research for a few years and I am waiting for a publication that will put me as a co author that was just submitted.

Here is the list I have so far please let me know if there's any more I should add or take out! Thanks so much for your help!

1. Albert Einstein College of Medicine
  2. Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
  3. Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
  4. Stony Brook University School of Medicine
  5. State University of New York Upstate Medical University
  6. SUNY Downstate College of Medicine
  7. Tulane University School of Medicine
  8. Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
  9. Wake Forest School of Medicine
  10. Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine
  11. University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What happened in Verbal?!

#1 you should tell us hours of clinical, volunteering, and research. Do you have posters for that research? When is that paper being submitted (it can take a loooong time to get through the peer review process)?
#2 you need a lot more than 11 schools. Have you already bought the MSAR? Go through it looking at schools with median MCATs of ~32-35 and choose some favorites, probably another 6-10.

What happened in Verbal?!

#1 you should tell us hours of clinical, volunteering, and research. Do you have posters for that research? When is that paper being submitted (it can take a loooong time to get through the peer review process)?
#2 you need a lot more than 11 schools. Have you already bought the MSAR? Go through it looking at schools with median MCATs of ~32-35 and choose some favorites, probably another 6-10.

Hahah I am absolutely horrible at verbal. I kept trying to improve it but the score just wouldn't go up. Also I just updated it to show the number of hours. Do you think I should apply to other state schools that do not have a high chance of accepting non-state students though? Like do you have any suggestions of schools? Thanks for the reply though!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hahah I am absolutely horrible at verbal. I kept trying to improve it but the score just wouldn't go up. Also I just updated it to show the number of hours. Do you think I should apply to other state schools that do not have a high chance of accepting non-state students though? Like do you have any suggestions of schools? Thanks for the reply though!
There are OOS schools that still draw huge chunks of their class from out of state candidates. This information is also in the MSAR, it shows % of interviewed students and matriculants that came from out of state. There are also at least a dozen private universities out there with no state bias that would be appropriate for you. I have no idea what you're looking for in a school so I have no specifics to suggest, I would say go browse the MSAR, come back with a list approximately double this one and then people will help you pare it down / suggest swaps.

Also this should be in the What Are My Chances section!