help please! Is RADS where I belong?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anatomyaddict

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Members,
I am new to this forum, but long time reader. I have a few questions about radiology. First- my background- MS3 on my last rotation. Have been in LOVE with anatomy since first year of medical school and have been involved with a number of activities related to anatomical teaching and dissection. While I thought this said I was meant for radiology, I was very interested in international work and thought about going the surgical route instead- perhaps something with a med/surg mix like urology or ENT.
Third year hit, and then throughout third year, every single eval I got said I was AMAZING at patient contact and my major strength lay in history taking etc. However, when I did a 2 week RADS rotation, I found that I really didn't miss patient contact. Reading films all day seemed a bit monotonous, but I suspect that it was just because I didn't really have a good grasp of what I was looking at. While I enjoyed surgery, I didn't really like the 'functional anatomy' aspect of it as much as I did detailed structural anatomy study. Now at the end of third year, my thoughts keep going back to radiology.

I do like:
-being an expert
-procedural work
-work that is very visual

stats: step1:high 230's, honored all rotations but surg so far, few research projects in non-rads area with no pubs

so here are my questions:

1. What kind of international work would I be able to do as a radiologist?

2. While dealing with patients my strength, I do not particularly crave it. did any of you guys feel the same way? If so, do you think I would miss patient contact in a few years?

3. Are radiology jobs being threatened right now or do you predict them being threatened any time soon?

4. For the people in the field for a few years..does it sound like I would be happy in rads?

5.what are my chances

Sorry for the loaded post but I am really confused here. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

1. There is always international work available. In radiology, most that I've seen revolves around ultrasound while working along side clinical providers. This makes sense, because you can't just take a CT, MR, fluoro suite, etc., with you, but portable ultrasound machines are only slightly larger than a laptop computer. Ultrasound, in a pinch, can be used in creative ways, like to characterize fractures.

2. Do what you love. You shouldn't feel compelled to pursue only what comes easily to you.

3. I sleep well at night. Most people predicting doom and gloom for the field aren't radiologists and are woefully misinformed. Reimbursements, and therefore salaries, are almost certainly going to take a significant hit, but you shouldn't be choosing radiology for the money anyway.

4. This is impossible to say. You seem to be putting a lot of weight on your enjoyment of anatomy, but I don't think it's as simple as person enjoys subject X and should therefore go into specialty Y. I loved physiology in medical school, but I'd never want to be an internist or anesthesiologist. I will say that I think patient contact is hugely over-rated.

5. You're chances are just fine; you should match. For most people, it's not their scores or grades that kept them from matching; it's because they limited their application based on geography, perceived quality, or both. Apply broadly and don't limit yourself to one area of the country. Have a few "back-up" programs, keeping in mind that there are thousands of intelligent practicing radiologists that didn't do residency at Super University to the Stars.

Hi Members,
I am new to this forum, but long time reader. I have a few questions about radiology. First- my background- MS3 on my last rotation. Have been in LOVE with anatomy since first year of medical school and have been involved with a number of activities related to anatomical teaching and dissection. While I thought this said I was meant for radiology, I was very interested in international work and thought about going the surgical route instead- perhaps something with a med/surg mix like urology or ENT.
Third year hit, and then throughout third year, every single eval I got said I was AMAZING at patient contact and my major strength lay in history taking etc. However, when I did a 2 week RADS rotation, I found that I really didn't miss patient contact. Reading films all day seemed a bit monotonous, but I suspect that it was just because I didn't really have a good grasp of what I was looking at. While I enjoyed surgery, I didn't really like the 'functional anatomy' aspect of it as much as I did detailed structural anatomy study. Now at the end of third year, my thoughts keep going back to radiology.
I agree with everything colbgw02 said, and I think based on what you've said that radiology may very well be a good fit for you...but only you can figure that out. I think the two biggest questions for medical students deciding between radiology and another field is 1) would you rather be the primary provider or be a consultant, and 2) would you rather diagnose or treat? Now granted there are procedures in radiology that are the definitive treatments (especially IR) but diagnostic radiology is predominantly a consultant service whose purpose is to diagnose (a gift from the department of the obvious).

I also think patient contact is overrated. I'm like you in that I'm a very outgoing person whose strength has always been my people skills (which undoubtedly helped me overcome a so-so step 1 score), and have had many people tell me I'm wasting my abilities in radiology. And while that's flattering and all, all it takes is for me to spend another 3 hours rounding on 5 patients or an afternoon in clinic and I know (as best as anyone can) that I made the right decision. The bottom line is you have to do what you enjoy...no one else will be doing your job day in, day out. Besides, you can still be social and outgoing as a radiologist. If anything, it'll make your relationships with other physicians that much better.