HELP PLEASE!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UrSexyLatinDr

Single and looking =o)~
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey amigos/as, que pasa?

OK, I am asking this for a friend: He has taken the MCAT twice, first time he got a 26, this time ( April one) he got a 25 and a 5 on Verbal.. He is a student at a top 25 school with a gpa of 3.8, 3 years of Research and 3 years of hopsital volunteer. As you might think, he is confused and wanted some advice, should he even bother to apply or you guys think he might have a chance? Also, what would be some institutions he could apply to? Thanks guys...

Eduardo

P.S. He is not URM

Members don't see this ad.

In my opinion, it's not looking good for your friend. Taking the MCAT twice without improvement, plus the 5 in verbal...I don't know...

I believe that your friend, though he did poorly on the MCAT with regards to his GPA, had some excellent credentials. Granted, he may not get into his first pick school, but as long as he has a reasonable explanation for his test results, he stands a good chance on admission. He has obviously invested some time in striving towards a goal, he should not quit now just because he fumbled verbal.

Hey Eduardo...

Why don't you advise your pal for the August MCAT and a Verbal Accelerator course offered by Princeton. That 5 in Verbal with a 3.8 simply doesn't coincide and why waste thousands of dollars in the application process and not get accepted. Sure, you might get accepted somewhere but does he/she really want to chance that--as in gambling all that time they'll put in not to mention the financial costs? I don't see the hurt in helping them with their verbal skills--tell them to try a soundless timer to manage their time, pick up a ton of passages everyweek on a schedule and definitely sign up for that course (it's not too late!). And most importantly, tell them not to give up. I had to take my MCAT last year in April AND in stupid August, not to mention I was conducting research in South Africa the whole time--talk about some work. But it was all worth it and by the grace of God I got into one of my first choice schools. Tell your friend to hang in there, be prepared to dig in and work EXTRA hard this summer, and everything will be okay if they prepare well for the August MCAT. Best of luck.