coldpizza

5+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I was hoping for some last minute advice on the Scramble. I am a US allopathic grad in a very competative specialty. I just found out this past week that my contract is not going to be renewed at the end of the academic year. Therefore, I wish to secure a PGY1 spot. I am well aware the ERAS/interview season is over... I am looking to do something stat so that I am not left "out in the cold" for next year (and lose a year of my life). I was going to try and participate in the Scramble. Any advice would be much appreciate.
thank you,
pizza that is cold

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
I was hoping for some last minute advice on the Scramble. I am a US allopathic grad in a very competative specialty. I just found out this past week that my contract is not going to be renewed at the end of the academic year. Therefore, I wish to secure a PGY1 spot. I am well aware the ERAS/interview season is over... I am looking to do something stat so that I am not left "out in the cold" for next year (and lose a year of my life). I was going to try and participate in the Scramble. Any advice would be much appreciate.
thank you,
pizza that is cold
I think you need to register so that you get access to the list -- not sure if you missed the boat on this.

Sep 19, 2009
Status
Medical Student
thank you,
pizza that is cold
One of the mandatory requirements for participating in the scramble is that you should have applied to at least 1 program through ERAS before match day. I just wanted to bring that up so you could look into it, if you haven't done so already. I wonder if they are open to new applications now? The programs I applied to had a deadline of new yrs for applications. Really sorry to hear about your situation- I didn't know the programs could break the news to you so late and put you in such a pickle.

Last edited:

FutureDocDO

1K Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Find yourself a current applicant or a 4th year medical student (easier to spot). Find out who didn't match on match day, ask them if you can look at the list of unmatched programs. I would then call the programs directly. This is what I would do but not sure if this will work as I'm going through the application process myself. Good luck!

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Find yourself a current applicant or a 4th year medical student (easier to spot). Find out who didn't match on match day, ask them if you can look at the list of unmatched programs. I would then call the programs directly. This is what I would do but not sure if this will work as I'm going through the application process myself. Good luck!
Technically there is a date prior to which nobody in the match is allowed to share the list or they will jeopardize their own future. After that date (which is a few days after match day) you can probably get the list on SDN once it's "legal" to distribute. There will be mostly prelim surgery and less desirable noncompetitive things left at that point, so if those would be appealing you can take a stab then. Your other option would probably be to see if you can find out what places didn't fill in the match last year and start calling and faxing those places on Tuesday. A place that historically doesn't fill might not again. And of course there are always places that open up during the year due to firings, quittings, family planning reasons, so you'll want to keep your ears open and make as many program contacts as you can.