cardsNmom

10+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hi SNDers,

My husband and I just found out that I am pregnant:love::love:. Though a joy, I am scared about the implications during residency (My due date is 8/23/07). I am a M4 and have applied for IM. I hear I can get 6 weeks off but that is such a short time esp if I have to get a C/S. Does anyone know if I can get more time off during intern year to take care of the baby??? Thanks!

Shah_Patel_PT

MD
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2005
MI, NY, CA, Fl, NV
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Hi SNDers,

My husband and I just found out that I am pregnant:love::love:. Though a joy, I am scared about the implications during residency (My due date is 8/23/07). I am a M4 and have applied for IM. I hear I can get 6 weeks off but that is such a short time esp if I have to get a C/S. Does anyone know if I can get more time off during intern year to take care of the baby??? Thanks!

Congrats! I'll let the "aprogdirector" answer your Q.

About the Ads

neuroticchica

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2004
Status (Visible)
First of all, congrats! That's awesome news!

My non-personal experience (I have three friends who were pregnant at the beginning of intern year -- one in FM, one surgery, one anesthesia -- btw, the only one who kept it secret was the surgery one, but I do understand why people may tell you to do so.) is that there are not fixed rules, but that it is specific to the program. All 3 of my friends took 6-8 weeks off. Also, I don't want to rain on your parade, but beware that while you are "taking extra time" you are forcing your co-interns to pull your weight and they may not be too happy with you when you return which can lend itself to your possibly enduring some poor treatment by your co-interns. After all, some programs don't really have extra bodies to spare. I know one of my friends still hears things behind her back and finds people are less helpful to her. (However, she was in a program where her taking off time really did make her co-interns miserable -- more call and elective time taken away) However, again, I would imagine it depends on where you go and how much your joy causes others to be negatively affected (taking extra call, more jeopardy, less elective time.) Some places may be a bit more oriented towards family.

Regardless, I wish you and your family the best!

NotAProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
Staff member
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
That last post is so good, I really don't have much more advice to offer. Let your program know about the pregnancy well before they make the schedule. You are under no legal nor ethical requirement to disclose this to PD's, so unless the program's maternity leave policy will play into your ranking decision you probably shouldn't.

FMLA leave time is usually unpaid, and is not required for new employees (but often is allowed). faced with losing an intern for an entire year vs 2-3 months, most PD's would take the short leave.

cardsNmom

10+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Thanks everyone for the wonderful replies, esp mdgrl2001 :thumbup:. I will keep you posted as to what happens

MTgal

10+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Congrats! I am a mother of 3 with the last born in the beginning of my 2nd year of medicine. My program was more than accomodating. In fact we had 3 residents all pregnant at the same time. It took some creative scheduling but everything worked out well. Don't be afraid to take off as much time as possible and I would plan on working until the due date barring no complications along the way.
Best of luck in the match and let me know if you have any more questions :)

eidolon

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2005
Status (Visible)
First of all, congratulation! One of my very good friends gave birth during internship. She took all the same calls that everybody else did and our program is pretty rigorous. Feel free to email me privately if you have any questions.

gwen

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 26, 2002
Status (Visible)
congratulations!!! i think mdgrl took care of almost everything.

something i may have done had i been in your situation would be taking a year off. i don't know if that is practical for you or not (especially financially and whether your program would let you).

i've always wanted to work part time when i have kids (for the first 3 years)...so my suggestion would be to do research part time especially if you are planning on pursuing a fellowship at any point. that way, you can take care of your baby and get some research/publications in. then you could continue that research during residency and be all set for fellowship.

just a thought in case that is a possibility for you.

H_Caulfield

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
What I want to know is why employers, while hiring, are legally obligated to view something like "6 weeks off" as irrelevant. In all fairness, I think us men should get 6 paid weeks off to oogle at something and tell it how f**cking cute it is...

MedStudent2007

10+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
uh oh, looks like someone's daddy didn't get to tell "it" how f-ing cute it was. seriously, if you have nothing positive to add, just stay away. you troll onto too many places where you're not wanted.

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
What I want to know is why employers, while hiring, are legally obligated to view something like "6 weeks off" as irrelevant. In all fairness, I think us men should get 6 paid weeks off to oogle at something and tell it how f**cking cute it is...

Ummm...we can. I'm in the middle of 4 weeks off right now and could do 2 more...paid...(plus 6 more unpaid) if I didn't want to finish residency on time.

If you're going to be an @$$clown, at least do it with some understanding of the facts.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.