HELP! Prehealth committee question!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustwantDDS

DrAMG
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone
Im planning to re-apply and i have a question.....
so my health committee is kinda late w. sending LORs
App opens early june- and their "goal" is to send it by end of august

and....if u ask about when ur packet has been sent
they'll purposefully delay ur app by 2 weeks....

i cant afford to apply june and be delayed until august.
will schools still consider me in the first "batches" if everything else is complete but LOR comes in august???

this is stressing me out so much and i just dont know what to do!:confused::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone
Im planning to re-apply and i have a question.....
so my health committee is kinda late w. sending LORs
App opens early june- and their "goal" is to send it by end of august

and....if u ask about when ur packet has been sent
they'll purposefully delay ur app by 2 weeks....

i cant afford to apply june and be delayed until august.
will schools still consider me in the first "batches" if everything else is complete but LOR comes in august???

this is stressing me out so much and i just dont know what to do!:confused::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared:

your application will go in the first batches (if you submit early june).... The problem is it will be considered "incomplete" at the schools. Meaning they won't review it until everything is turned in (DAT score + all LORs)

When you check off the comittee letter option on the application, the school will have to wait for it (like a DAT score). But you will be fine. I know plenty of people from my school (which uses committee) who have gotten into UCLA, Harvard, you name it. You are still competitive through committee.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied with committee last time.
But I'm really concerned with my app being considered incomplete until August. I dont have the highest GPA for it to be ok to let it slide for 3 months!

Should I call the schools?

I applied with committee last time.
But I'm really concerned with my app being considered incomplete until August. I dont have the highest GPA for it to be ok to let it slide for 3 months!

Should I call the schools?
yes

Ask them if you should send letters on your own or have them wait for the committee letter.

Ask them if you should send letters on your own or have them wait for the committee letter.

I mean, I'm almost certain they'll say its up to you. And tell me that it'll be considered incomplete and yadda yadda
this is SO frusterating!!!!!!!! :mad:
why can't the damn committees do their jobs ON TIME?:mad::mad::mad::scared:

I mean, I'm almost certain they'll say its up to you. And tell me that it'll be considered incomplete and yadda yadda
this is SO frusterating!!!!!!!! :mad:
why can't the damn committees do their jobs ON TIME?:mad::mad::mad::scared:

Well... aren't students supposed to do the committee thing LONG before June roles around?... Like 6 months or a year before?

hmmmm my school doesnt even do committee letters so id get 3 individual LORs, is that bad, i thought thats what aadsas lists as the alternative?

just get 3 seperate profs to write you reccs.....unless theres a rule- if your school DOES committee letters you HAVE to get one of those? im not sure, but id go nuclear if my app was late bc of a freakin comittee letter when really the profs are in actuality just lolly gagging pretending that theyre somebody/important. lazy.

hmmmm my school doesnt even do committee letters so id get 3 individual LORs, is that bad, i thought thats what aadsas lists as the alternative?

just get 3 seperate profs to write you reccs.....unless theres a rule- if your school DOES committee letters you HAVE to get one of those? im not sure, but id go nuclear if my app was late bc of a freakin comittee letter when really the profs are in actuality just lolly gagging pretending that theyre somebody/important. lazy.

Nope. Thats what I did too. My school didn't offer a committee service

I'm in a similar position except that my committee letter probably will be completed around July instead of August. I have decided to wait for the committee letter because I have emailed several schools and most recommended that you have a committee letter if your school has a pre-health committee; however, some schools did say it was my choice. It has no negative consequence if you send individual letters only if your school does NOT have a committee. But since your school does have a pre-health committee, it could be looked upon negatively if you don't have a committee letter. Thus you have a choice to make.

I'd call schools and ask what would they suggest....because committee letter holds more weight than an individual LOR so let's just say you have a really good committee letter compared to having 2 good LORs...I'd choose a stronger committee letter

Well... aren't students supposed to do the committee thing LONG before June roles around?... Like 6 months or a year before?

yeah they do but they still dont have it ready by june 1.at least at my school.

but im a reapp and alumni
the process is diff for my committee and i just met with my advisor
according to my advisor, all my committee stuff is due june 23 and wont be sent until after that
even if i turn it in earlier.
so............... wtf do i do now? this is just so annoying.

yeah if u dont have a committee service then what u did is fine
but i do and.....now its screwing me over
last yr when i wasnt an alumni my letter didnt get send til august and all my docs were completed by april
this year im an alumni and reapp
and my deadline is june 23
meaning it wont get sent until way after that
seriously, this is hindering my chances and im really p.o-ed

yeah if u dont have a committee service then what u did is fine
but i do and.....now its screwing me over
last yr when i wasnt an alumni my letter didnt get send til august and all my docs were completed by april
this year im an alumni and reapp
and my deadline is june 23
meaning it wont get sent until way after that
seriously, this is hindering my chances and im really p.o-ed

wow that is ridiculoussss!!!!! you should try to speak to your advisor or whoever is in charge of the bio department (IMMEDIATLEY!!) calmly & rationally, aka just like showup at school bc everyones going to pretend that theyre super busy & unavailable to talk if you do this over the phone (when theyre really stuffing their face with crackers & gossping about who knows what---yes i hate all professors &their staff) . explain ur situation tell them its really really really important and if they still take u as a joke.....then u need to freak out at someone.....personally thats what id do if i had to...but try to be rational & not angry when you approach them first!! being nice usually works & if not well then u may have to get a little mean! i mean damn you did pay this school tuition for 4 years you owe them nothing they actually owe u a freakin recc and @ a decent time.
gluck !!

yeah they do but they still dont have it ready by june 1.at least at my school.

but im a reapp and alumni
the process is diff for my committee and i just met with my advisor
according to my advisor, all my committee stuff is due june 23 and wont be sent until after that
even if i turn it in earlier.
so............... wtf do i do now? this is just so annoying.

that....sucks
The only reason dental schools like the committee letter is because it makes it easier for them (easier to read 1 long essay vs 4 individual letters).

I honestly don't know what to tell you.... My school didn't offer committee, and IF they did (and woulda turned my stuff in late) I wouldn't have used their service.

wow that is ridiculoussss!!!!! you should try to speak to your advisor or whoever is in charge of the bio department (IMMEDIATLEY!!) calmly & rationally, aka just like showup at school bc everyones going to pretend that theyre super busy & unavailable to talk if you do this over the phone (when theyre really stuffing their face with crackers & gossping about who knows what---yes i hate all professors &their staff) . explain ur situation tell them its really really really important and if they still take u as a joke.....then u need to freak out at someone.....personally thats what id do if i had to...but try to be rational & not angry when you approach them first!! being nice usually works & if not well then u may have to get a little mean! i mean damn you did pay this school tuition for 4 years you owe them nothing they actually owe u a freakin recc and @ a decent time.
gluck !!

my committee is staffed by 1-2 people and they....are in charge. theres nobody else i can talk to.
and if i complain, "laj mikoneh" / they'll cop an attitude and prolly eff up my comm.letter.

I don't understand the committee debate on this forum. If you have it, go through it. These people will look at your credentials and say yes or no to giving you interviews. Most people I know who had their committee letters submitted in july or august got interview calls a week later.

The whole "It will really slow me up" argument is BS...if it really slowed up the dental schools' process, they just would strongly urge against a committee letter. They wait patiently.

i dont know about that
the earlier everything is in, the earlier ur interview, the better ur chances...