Help! Qbank scores good- NBME scores are sad....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clb4894

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is my problem. I have been studying my a** off for this step I. I have done almost all of the Qbank stuff ( with a 66% average) and did the practice 150 questions ( which I know are easier but still I got what apparently equates to a 230. BUT, my NBME scores are sad. The first one we took ( in march after spring break) came to a 180, the second went down to a 170!, and then I took form 4 today ( 4 days before I take the test) and got a 186!!!!! This is not good! I can NOT fail this test. What do you think? How are they so far off and anyone have any thoughts on what I can do in a couple days?

Members don't see this ad.

Uh oh. I posted a similar question yesterday. I've been averaging around 66% on both Qbank and UW and I was wondering what kind of target score I could look forward to. (I haven't done any NBME exams yet)

From what I heard yesterday, I got the notion that I shouldn't worry too much and with a couple more weeks of work, I could be within range of a 230-240.

Maybe I should hurry up with an NBME exam and see where I'm really at?????

If I were in your shoes though and only had a couple of days, I'd probably use FA as my primary source to try and cram in as many details as possible

Honestly, if I were in your shoes, I would see if I could delay the exam. I know there's a fee if you reschedule on such short notice, but it's definitely worth it if you think you can pull through with another week or two (or more, if you have the time) of studying. From what I understand, the NBME exams tend to be more predictive than Qbank, but I haven't done them myself (who knows, I could be in your same position :eek:). Perhaps some of the more seasoned Step 1 experts can jump in here..but I just wouldn't feel comfortable with such a borderline score on the most recent NBME.

I'd really hit FA and work on your understanding of general concepts. I performed poorly on one of my NBME's not too long ago, after reviewing relentlessly so I changed my study style from a stress on details to a conceptually based attack, my scores improved within the week so i'd try that.

Since you asked: try to move your test.

If you look back over the score threads the NBMEs are pretty solid predictors of how you perform. Getting a 186 on one of them is not encouraging. I wish I could give you a pep talk and say it will all be alright but that would not be honest. With those scores you just don't have enough of a buffer zone to weather a "bad day."

On a side not your Qbank scores are decent, but then you have to take Step1, not Qbank...