Help! Reapply or go foreign? 3.4GPA, 31R

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

basolateral

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this past application cycle (I say past because it's over for me) was a complete bust. My GPA and not-so-early application submissions proved to be much more disadvantageous than I had thought (not a single interview). My fall back option was to maybe go to a reputable foreign school, but now I'm having second thoughts. The entire length of my education has taken place in the u.s., and I would like to keep it that way if I can help it.
Anyway, here are my stats:

cGPA: 3.47 bcmp: 3.3
MCAT: 30Q, 31R

Research:
-7 months of animal research and behavioral psychology (no pub)
- approximately a year of field work for numerous clinical studies (1 presentation)

Volunteer:
-8 months of volunteering in pediatrics
-6 months of volunteering in med/surg
-3 months of shadowing in cardiology

Extra-Curric:
-worked with a campus-based community research group
-taught for an on-campus dance organization
-public affairs manager for diabetes awareness coalition
-secretary for computer science society

The following are some of the schools I am considering applying to:

NYMC
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Stony
SUNY Buffalo
GWU
Temple
Drexel
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
U of Maryland

Any suggestions/comments are appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

bio major, NY resident, coming from a public university system

Have your GPAs gone up since you applied? Do you have further improvments in your ECs since you applied? Is your GPA on the low side due to one bad year or is it across the years? Do you have a recent rising grade trend? Have you considered adding some DO schools to your list, or retaking the MCAT, where a 33+ would improve your chances, or raising your GPAs with additional postbac work? I'm putting an emphasis on stats, even though your ECs could use some work too, as you need the stats to get the rest of the application looked at.