HELP! recently graduated with bachelors...going back for MOT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kmj718

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm excited I've found this community and hope you all can help clear up some confusion I have.

I recently graduated in May 2012 from a 4-year university and have the hope of going back to school for my Masters in OT. I am aware there are some pre-requisites I have not taken in my undergraduate career, so I do plan on going back to school in the fall to finish those.

However, there are a few pre-requisite classes that I have taken my freshman-sophomore year as gen-eds (intro to sociology, intro to psych, and psychological statistics). I would like to also retake this classes in hopes of getting higher grades, which I know would look better on my application. However, I have some confusion.

My undergraduate GPA is rather low (my freshman-sophomore year my mother was extremely ill and passed away), causing me to obviously not be engaged in school what-so-ever. Unfortunately, these classes were taken during that time.

So, my question for you all is this: If I go back to school (to the same undergraduate university) would retaking these classes help improve my GPA? Or, since I have graduated already would they not even affect my GPA at all? Since I would be attending the same university would these classes just "replace" the old grade?

If that is not the case, and my undergraduate GPA will remain what it is, do you guys think it is worth even retaking these classes? Would it just be listed that I took these classes again after graduation? If so, should I just take them at a community college instead?

Please help, I'm confused and would like any advice I can get...

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the school.

Some schools want cumulative GPA, some want last 60 or 90 credit hours, some want last 60 or 90 of the *last*degree*completed*. A lot of schools weigh personal statements and references heavily. I'd focus on making the best grades possible in your remaining pre-reqs, write a good essay, and get in lots of good volunteer hours.

Oh - be sure to put in your essay/personal statement that your grades were low because your mother was sick/passed away. That's what a school told me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kmj718,

I'm so sorry to hear your mom passed away and the struggles you faced in your early undergrad years. Definitely do not let those weaker grades stress you out too much.

I believe since you already graduated that retaking the class would not replace the grade. However, retaking any prerequisites for a higher grade now would certainly look good. Although many schools may say they look at your cumulative, they all look to see if you have an upward trend. Retaking the courses for a higher grade shows your commitment to the material and speaking from personal experience its nice to revisit the courses at a time in your life when you can absorb more.

My advice would be to contact programs that look interesting and share your questions with them. Don't be shy (I was), as they get all sorts of questions! Also, although a program may state they look at cumulative grades don't take yourself out of the race due to a lower GPA or even one that is slightly below a 3.0. Many of us got into schools that looked at cumulative GPA's with our "lower cumulative GPA". It really depends on circumstances. In fact, I asked schools if I could send in a statement on my academic performance and nearly all of them said sure! For one program, I sent in a 1 page statement, for another they said to simply send a paragraph. It worked out. :)

As mentioned above, some other programs look at last 60 semester hrs GPA -- ex: Western Michigan Unv., Virginia Commonwealth or some weigh the prereq GPA with your cumulative -- ex: Indiana University).

Getting into a program goes beyond grades. Make sure to volunteer/shadow with an OT as much as possible. Try and get in a variety of settings. Offer yourself up as a volunteer to any kind of community programs, events and get engaged with OT on Facebook/Twitter and so on if you use those sort of things. Not only does it help your application (the volunteering does), but it also helps you to begin networking and seeing the OT community that is out there.

I think you'll do great! Get a profile started on the OTCAS when the new application cycle starts up.. It will also allow you to explore more programs from the program profile pages and see what the application looks like. You can definitely stand out on an applications even with lower GPA.
Good luck!

Thanks for all the info! I have started to do research on schools, and even e-mailed my undergraduate school's program (University at Buffalo) for more information. Their program director has given me a great deal of information, however when I had asked her about retaking these courses for better grades she explained that the UB OT program only allows a student to retake just TWO prerequisites for a better grade. For this reason, she told me to wait on retaking classes and that it is critical to do well in all remaining prerequisites. Hearing this frustrates me, because I was willing to retake two-three classes (two classes I received a C+ and one a C-). Do you know if all schools have this policy?

Also I planned on returning to take the remaining prerequisites at my undergrad university, the University at Buffalo. I'm toying with the idea of just taking them at a community college because I have *heard* (I could be wrong) that classes are somewhat less intense and this could be a good thing for me, because I'm concerned I will struggle with the science-based pre-reqs. However I've also heard it would look better to a school that I took the courses at a 4 year university. Any advice on that one?

I'm just starting to do research and am unclear on some things still....

Thanks for your advice! Much appreciated!