help required urgently..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

denldh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello,

I am an Indian dentist, completed my BDS in june, 2008 from one of the dental colleges in North India. After completing my BDS, I took so many entrance tests for MDS there but couldnt get through.
Then I decided to study for NBDE part 1. I scheduled my exam in feb 2010, after getting all my transcripts evaluated by ECE, I appeared for visa (TOURIST VISA) interview in jan 2010, but it was rejected. Again i turned out to be so unlucky.

Finally I got married to an American citizen, who is a physician.
Now I am in states, got my green card. I am pregnant at this time but planning to take NBDE PART 1 next year.. (in 2011 around june-july )

My questions are..

1. Can I take this test after almost 4 years of gap from my study. I haven't practised dentistry in past 3 years. So I dont have any clinical experience.

2. My GPA is 3.42. Is it good or not?

3. Will I get any advantages over other FTD who are on study visa. As I am now permanent resident here in US.

4. Year back i also took TOEFLibt in which I scored only 85 . Do I need to take it again?

5. I have good letters of recommendations from the professors of my Dental college. But I dont have any paper presentations. Do I really need any paper presentation for applying to dental school if I pass my exam.

please reply anyone

Members don't see this ad.

hello,

I am an Indian dentist, completed my BDS in june, 2008 from one of the dental colleges in North India. After completing my BDS, I took so many entrance tests for MDS there but couldnt get through.
Then I decided to study for NBDE part 1. I scheduled my exam in feb 2010, after getting all my transcripts evaluated by ECE, I appeared for visa (TOURIST VISA) interview in jan 2010, but it was rejected. Again i turned out to be so unlucky.

Finally I got married to an American citizen, who is a physician.
Now I am in states, got my green card. I am pregnant at this time but planning to take NBDE PART 1 next year.. (in 2011 around june-july )

My questions are..

1. Can I take this test after almost 4 years of gap from my study. I haven't practised dentistry in past 3 years. So I dont have any clinical experience.

3. Will I get any advantages over other FTD who are on study visa. As I am now permanent resident here in US.

4. Year back i also took TOEFLibt in which I scored only 85 . Do I need to take it again?

5. I have good letters of recommendations from the professors of my Dental college. But I dont have any paper presentations. Do I really need any paper presentation for applying to dental school if I pass my exam.

please reply anyone
Hi. The things that you need for admission are. TOEFL over 100, most schools require that, and you will be competitive with 100. Secondly need to pass the dental boards part I with about 85, more will be better but I think 85 will get you in. Make sure you get ready for the test , cause if you pass with 75 than you can not retake the test, and I dont know if you stand any chance to get into a program. To increase the number of schools that you can apply you could take the part II too. If have a chance to go to a dentist and assist or paractice on a typodont would be perfect, many schools want a bench test where you do some preps. The most importand is to have some US exp and to be able to communicate with people, know what's going on, and have a talk with someone about other things not just dentistry. Some schools require greencard or citizen, so you are set. You need a letter from the dean of you dental school. If you need more info let me know. Good luck.

Yes. You can take the test. But prepare real good to score in high 80s or above. Since you have no dental experience in past 3 years, it is better to score as high as possible to sort-of compensate for it.
Also, I will strongly recommend to get started on observership in some dental clinic to learn about dental practice in US. From my personal experience, your overall application is reviewed. (In mathematical sense, every related item in your application is given points. So if you miss on any item, you miss on points...which may eventually make the difference between selection and been put on alternate list :)) Hence it is necessary to have multiple items to list in your application. For instance:
1. Voluntary observership in US
2. Community service (try some services like Salvation army for once a week for few hours)
3. Dig up research or seminars that you may have done in school. Make sure to articulate them and add it in you application.
4. Get in touch with your professor in India or some dentist in US and check if you can do some voluntary research on some topics. Then make sure to add it in your application too.
5. Start working on your statement of purpose. This requires time to make it unique and interesting.
6. If you get a chance, start working on your dental hand skills. With your pregnancy, just try to spent some hours per week only if you have time from studying on NBDE part1. That should get your confidence up if you get called for interview and bench test :) But scoring high on NBDE part 1 should be your top priority now.

This GPA is good. So don't worry about it at all!

I doubt it unless the university requires permanent residents

Most definitely. Do retake it. But plan for it after you are done with NBDE 1 studies. If you manage both, then its great. But again, focus on NBDE part1. YOu only get one chance now.

Yes. IF you can get paper presentations, it is great. If not, don't stress it out. It depends on the admission committee as to how many points they attribute to it. Specifically for california schools, you are better off adding it to your application :)

Please let me know if you have further questions. Keep studying and be cheerful! Best Wishes.

@ first molar and amu.

Thank you soo much for your replies.. i am greatly relieved now.. I can join a dentist as a dental assistant here and side by side i will study for my part 1 exam...
Once again thank you very much..