HELP!! Research question!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nothing101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been sending the same generic email to different professors about research in the neuroscience department. So, i have come across 2 professors who work in the same lab, and I already sent out an email to one of the professor, should I send out the same email to other professor? I don't want them to open the email and say "omg she sent the same, exact email to me". So, what should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have been sending the same generic email to different professors about research in the neuroscience department. So, i have come across 2 professors who work in the same lab, and I already sent out an email to one of the professor, should I send out the same email to other professor? I don't want them to open the email and say "omg she sent the same, exact email to me". So, what should I do?

I am involved in research as an undergraduate in a neuroscience lab. When I got my position I sent my resume, my transcript, and a well written email about the PI's latest publications and what I found interesting about them. My PI now shows me the emails he gets from other undergrads... Basically if you send a generic email its pretty much guaranteed to be ignored, unless the PI is desperate for more researchers (if its a good lab they probably already have enough, you need to convince them why they should take you). The main things my PI looks for is commitment (can you come in 15+ hours a week?), and if you can work independently. Try to mention those things.

Also if you're premed say you want to do MD/PHD (lol...), that usually gives you bonus points and makes them more likely to interview you because you sound dedicated (PI's love dedicated undergraduate reseachers and hate the lazy ones). My PI has had several undergrads start research then quit after a couple of weeks because they couldn't devote the time. You just aren't going to be productive if you're coming in sub 10 hours a week, not including the time at home you should be spending doing reviews of the literature.

really? 15+ hours?? I spend alot of time in the lab but 15+ hours seems crazy.. then again I'm in the training phase this semester

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
really? 15+ hours?? I spend alot of time in the lab but 15+ hours seems crazy.. then again I'm in the training phase this semester

How is 15+ hours crazy? That's like standard if you want to be productive as an undergraduate researcher in a basic science lab. Crazy would be expecting something like 30+ on top of a full class schedule (which I still see people post here). There are people posting 2000-3000+ research hours total on the WAMC all the time.

Reactions: 1 user

At my school, being a student researcher typically means ~25 hours a week, and sometimes that's not including other responsibilities such as attending campus seminars, professional development, etc

At my school, being a student researcher typically means ~25 hours a week, and sometimes that's not including other responsibilities such as attending campus seminars, professional development, etc

Exactly... my PI only wants the people that can consistently commit, no excuses (within reason of course). Research takes diligence if you want to see tangible results.