Help! review books...which is best???

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by choisimd, May 28, 2002.

1. choisimd

choisimd Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm starting med school in the fall, and I've never had any previous exposure to Biochem....so can anyone offer me advice on which review book can break down the basics for me before I start school..... :D

2. ckent

ckent Membership Revoked
    Removed

I doubt that you've had "no exposure" to biochem if you got a good enough score on the MCAT to get into med school. I would review your undergrad notes for biochem (from your pre-med intro bio course or from an MCAT review book), med school biochem really does just pick up from there. If you really do feel need the need to purchase a new med school book for biochem, Lipincott is good but might be a difficult to read if you are very rusty with biochem. I've heard mixed reviews about BRS and high yield biochem, but BRS Biochem might be a good review for you if you can't find your undergrad notes.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. dingiswayo

dingiswayo Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

no,no,no... do not study before you start medical school. sit in the sun, travel, read fiction, watch movies, etc.

then, next year, buy lippincott biochem.

4. Skip Intro

Skip Intro Registered User
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by dingiswayo:
    <strong>no,no,no... do not study before you start medical school. sit in the sun, travel, read fiction, watch movies, etc.

then, next year, buy lippincott biochem.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ditto dingiswayo. But, no matter what book you're required to get for the course, buy Lippincott too. It rocks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. choisimd

choisimd Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks everyone for the advice...I will definitely do a little of both before school starts!

6. Long Hair and a Beard

Long Hair and a Beard Obsessionist
    7+ Year Member

Lippincott really rocks, no doubt about that...

I remember buying Lippinocott the day before my biochem first mid-semester exam, read it for a day, and got decent marks too.