HELP! Should I declare an minor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pubhealthiscool

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a junior in the University of Michigan School of Public Health's new undergrad program. I am set to get a BA in Community and Global Public Health. I know med schools don't care about majors but would adding a science minor (I can't double major) look better?

As I was previously a Microbio/Biological Anthro double major, I am 2 classes away from either a Biology minor or a Biological Anthropology minor.

In your opinion, is adding a minor worth it and if so: which one?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a junior in the University of Michigan School of Public Health's new undergrad program. I am set to get a BA in Community and Global Public Health. I know med schools don't care about majors but would adding a science minor (I can't double major) look better?

As I was previously a Microbio/Biological Anthro double major, I am 2 classes away from either a Biology minor or a Biological Anthropology minor.

Having a declared minor doesn't "look better," nor does a double major or multiple minors.

Reactions: 1 user
As others have said it does not matter. The only reason I would add a minor is if you have already taken the classes or they fit for what your MCAT prep entails. For example, prepping for the MCAT caused me to take some psych classes that got me a reduced minor (immersion) so that is why I did it. I did not do it for the admissions process because it does not matter. Just take classes that will help you with prepping for the MCAT and do well in them. Easie peasie right?

Hi all,

If medical schools don't care about your major (as you stated), what makes you think they would care about your minor? As others have stated, no they don't care.

The only minor that med school would notice would be a minor drug offense or aiding and abetting delinquency of a minor
Dammit, I was afraid of that. My premed advisor told me I should refer to it as a chemistry minor!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
A minor is only necessary if the next couple of semesters you’ll not have enough credits for being a full time student. I, for example am a transfer student who recently just changed majors to biology from chemistry. They let me do two minors becaaue I’m almost done with my general education credits. I want to change my math minor to either neuroscience or psychology, whichever will help me gain more knowledge. I’m leading towards neuroscience becaaue they have required courses that will help me when I apply for PhD in pharmaceutical science after getting my masters. I wouldn’t do a minor in your situation.

Currently a biology major with chemistry and math minor. Decided my passion was chemistry, and since pharmaceutical science has everything I want to do. It made sense for me. Was going for meteorology in grad school that’s why I have a math minor.

Only if you want to. It won't look better to anyone. But if you are interested in those courses, then go ahead.