HELP! Should I drop calc at this point?...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zxcv1234

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My dilemma is this:

I am not doing so well on my calc I tests. I tend to make stupid mistakes while barely finishing the tests on time. So far I took 3 tests and received a 61, 55 and 65 percent respectively. The final grade is broken down into the following components:

Quizzes - 20%, Homework - 20%, Four hour exams - 40% & Final Exam - 20%

We had no quizzes yet (not sure why), but I asked my professor and he will start implementing them. This will mean they will carry some weight for the final grade. Of course I have full credit for homework. If I get solid A's on the rest of the quizzes and the tests I could achieve a B, but I don't see that happening.

If you were in my position, would you withdraw from the class and take it during the summer?

This is frustrating for me because I put in more time in calc than any other of my classes.

Thanks in advance!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

How are your homework grades?

I would say that you should stay in, one C isn't going to mean the end of the world.

Take me for example, I have quite a few C's already but I'm confident I'll get in. You can use that summer for research or perhaps a class to help you get ahead.

Members don't see this ad :)
One C won't torpedo your application. However, keep in mind that in order to have a 3.5 gpa, for every C you get, you'll need 3 As to counterbalance it.

Is it Calc I or II? If it's Calc I, you're going to want to fully understand the material before moving on to calc II or you'll set yourself up for failure. If you drop the course, will you still have enough units to be full time? Will it appear on your transcript as a W? If you can drop it and still be full time, I would consider it. Unless the class is curved, you will likely end up with a C or worse (assuming traditional 90+ = A, 80-90 = B, 70-80 = C, 60-70 = D and <60 = F.) I'm NOT saying you cannot get into med school if you get a C, but it will be reflected in your GPA and like I said before, will make calc ii mucho difficult.

Calc is easy...i took that ish junior year of highschool and never had to deal with it again !!! haha no really calc is hard, but just study really hard...your teacher couldnt be as picky as mines was back in highschool !!! i suggest not droppin cuz it shows your aptitude and the level you succeed at or not...calc gets easier as you go foward with it--esp the integral branch of calc

chandelantern said:
Is it Calc I or II? If it's Calc I, you're going to want to fully understand the material before moving on to calc II or you'll set yourself up for failure. If you drop the course, will you still have enough units to be full time? Will it appear on your transcript as a W? If you can drop it and still be full time, I would consider it. Unless the class is curved, you will likely end up with a C or worse (assuming traditional 90+ = A, 80-90 = B, 70-80 = C, 60-70 = D and <60 = F.) I'm NOT saying you cannot get into med school if you get a C, but it will be reflected in your GPA and like I said before, will make calc ii mucho difficult.

I will still be a full time student and it is calc 1.

BrettBatchelor said:
If you are comfortable with a C or maybe a D in the class then stay.

Considering my gpa is a weak point I may resort to taking a W.

For future reference (calc and physics) I am wondering what has worked for those that have struggled in math subjects in the past.

having struggled with other classes like calc (but not calc itself) i would say that your best strategy is to do as many problems as you possibly can. don't try memorizing - it's not like bio. also, if it's available, see if there are tutors for calc I offered through your school. or try your ta.

I would say definitely drop it. Taking calculus is not that important in applying to medical school. What counts the most is your GPA and if this would wreck your GPA, then drop out. I took 2 years of calculus and advanced mathematics (with a biochemistry major 3.73 GPA 31MCAT etc) and it did not help me get passed the psycology majors with 4.0 averages who got accepted to MD schools and I didn't. (Hell, I should have took psycology instead of calculus and get a 4.0 GPA) My father kept telling me that calculus and advanced math would look good on my application so I struggled through these courses even though I hated them. Don't make the same mistake I did, man.

If you think you will end up getting a C, then definitely drop the course. There are only a few schools who recommend taking calculus anyways so you will not significantly affect your chances.

CALCULUS! OH WOW! dude, i am much worse than u r in calc. Here's my story (hope it makes u feel better)... freshmen yr first semester dropped calc I and got a W on transcript ... now freshmen year second semester, again getting smashed by calc I and again abt to drop it to attain yet another glorious W on my transcript... now cuz of it, i'll go into my sophomore year with ONLY 25-26 credits which BLOWS since i'll be considered a freshmen in my sophomore yr :( .... OH man, drop it, just drop it and take it in comm college... don't risk it... its not worth blowing ur GPA over! plus looking at ur test grades, and having taken near a yr of calc (lol), i don't think u'll be able to pull out an A or B that easily (Not insulting u... just an educated guess from personal experience cuz the last chapters of calc are the HARDEST and if u couldn't pull A's in the beginning, chances of u pulling an A in the last test and the cumulitive final are slim)... so DROP IT!! and take it in a comm college!

I decided that I will drop it and take it during summer :thumbdown: . I've switched majors a few times and have business statistics under my belt. Does that count as a math course for med schools? Its 3 credits for bus stats versus 4 for calc. If so then I won't bother with calc 2.

Thanks for all the responses! :D

In this same situation, what would you all advise doing if dropping calc would result in you being part time?

Chris127 said:
In this same situation, what would you all advise doing if dropping calc would result in you being part time?
Part-time probably means you are dropped from your parents insurance. That's not good.

BrettBatchelor said:
Part-time probably means you are dropped from your parents insurance. That's not good.

i will be part time too if i drop calc... can u explain wat u mean by "dropped from ur parent's insurance" means?

2Xtrouble2X said:
Calc is easy...i took that ish junior year of highschool and never had to deal with it again !!! haha no really calc is hard, but just study really hard...your teacher couldnt be as picky as mines was back in highschool !!! i suggest not droppin cuz it shows your aptitude and the level you succeed at or not...calc gets easier as you go foward with it--esp the integral branch of calc

yea calc ONE is easy...but calc two is downright difficult at times. if ur strugging in calc one right now, make sure you go get some help before you get into calc two becuase near the end of it you will be starting converging and diverging series and things get pretty hectic

tikiman said:
i will be part time too if i drop calc... can u explain wat u mean by "dropped from ur parent's insurance" means?
Also, if you drop to part-time, you're usually ineligible for financial aid.

tikiman said:
If you are a student fresh from HS, you most likely are still included on your parents health insurance plan. This is conditional on you being a full time college student. Hence if you drop full-time, you could get dropped from health insurance.

BrettBatchelor said:
If you are a student fresh from HS, you most likely are still included on your parents health insurance plan. This is conditional on you being a full time college student. Hence if you drop full-time, you could get dropped from health insurance.

Note that this only applies to some insurance plans -- each one is different and you should check with your parents to find out what your case is. (Some insurance plans cover full and part-time students, and some cover kids up to 24 regardless of educational status.)