1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

HELP! Should I quit my job and study for Mcat ?!?! Need to decide by tomorrow??

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by bellab17, 09.18.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. bellab17

bellab17 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hello,

The October and November test dates are the last times I can take my mcat before the new one takes effect. I work full-time and I am always exhausted when I come home from work to study. So I don't know if I should quit my job so I can study hard core for the last 3 wks before I take my test in Oct (b/c I would leave my job Oct 1) or study for 5 wks if I take the nov test (if I leave work in Oct 1)??

I would finish content review Oct 1 and then try to do aamc tests in the next two weeks before my exam (if I take oct test)

What should I do!!!! Plz help...any advice?

Thank so much!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Aerus

Aerus Elemental Alchemist 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    hSDN
    hSDN
    Alumni
    Take a break from your job. If you can't, quit. Working full time while studying for the MCAT is doable for some, but definitel not all. From the looks of it, you don't fall within the former. The mastery required to do well on this test is large and to do well, you must have a focused mind. Being so tired every day will hinder that. Talk to your boss to see if there is anything that they can do. Tell them that this is the most important test of your life thus far and that you need to do well. If they can't make exceptions, then you will have to choose where your priorities lie.

SwedishMD2B likes this.
  4. bellab17

bellab17 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks so much Aerus for your advice, I really appreciate it. I am going to ask them for the break too, which would be ideal. But if it comes down to it, I have to take the time off and study for this test.

Thanks!

5. j9260

j9260 5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    You do know that the January 2015 exams are still the old mcat, right? I would suggest studying for that exam instead of the November one if you're just beginning your studies now. Just my suggestion.

texan2414 likes this.
  6. Gauss44

Gauss44 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    In my experience, a job can keep people from succeeding at the MCAT. Being wide awake REALLY helps with studying, learning, and understanding information. Is there any way that you could get "laid off" instead of just quitting? It would be nice to at least have unemployment income.

7. Strudel19

Strudel19 5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    hSDN
    hSDN
    Alumni
    It was very difficult for me to review during the summer with a full time job. From my experience and from what I've heard from others, I would really try to quit the job if possible and focus on the test.

Good luck!

8. bellab17

bellab17 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi Gauss44,

Yes, somehow filing for unemployment was something I was thinking about also, but I don't know how I would get laid off.

9. bellab17

bellab17 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

I am finished with content review except for physics and have done some practice passages in swb and tpr verbal workbook. So I was going to spend most of October, reviewing the physics concepts, taking aamc tests and doing self-analysis. If I take it in November, I would have the whole month, possibly w/o work, to focus and study hard.

Also, I have already submitted my app for this cycle, and some MD still accept the nov mcat and all DO schools accept it. So I was shooting for that.

10. brood910

brood910 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    You know your own limits more than any of us. This type of questions is the one that we cannot answer for you.

11. bellab17

bellab17 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yes, I know. I just wanted to get some opinions b/c I know many have been in this situation before and I was am still unsure as to what I want to ultimately do.

12. tdod

tdod 2+ Year Member

do whatever gets you the highest score. do whatever gets you the highest score. do whatever gets you the highest score. To me, it sounds like you should quit your job. In the long run, quitting your job will save you money by getting you into an in-state school and/or allowing you to only have to take the test once.

13. bellab17

bellab17 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I didn't want to waste any of the newer aamc tests, so I would have to take like aamc 4 or 5 and that probably won't be as accurate, right? How accurate are the old tests vs the new aamc tests? Then again, I suppose I could take like aamc 10 and not review the answers so I can take it again later.

14. bellab17

bellab17 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    No it's not a career job. thx

15. daesidoc

daesidoc 2+ Year Member

Hi, I work full-time as well. It was difficult to study after work for me as well. However I talked to my manager and changed my job to part-time for a month and I used that time + weekends to study. Just try to talk to your manager and see what your options are. I know many people talked about quitting but in my case I needed the income as well :) So if you really need the money and need to study, try to work +/- 3 days a week or something.
    P.S: I took my mcat few weeks ago and I'm still awaiting my scores so probably should've waited to offer you advice lol, but wanted to share this asap :p

16. bellab17

bellab17 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    lol thanks. Yes, I am speaking with my manager this week, so I hope they will be willing to work with me.

17. bellab17

bellab17 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    That's true, but it will be almost holiday season by the time I take my mcat, so I don't know if jobs would have already finished hiring for the year/season?

18. kinipela

kinipela 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Can you not take it in January? It will still be the same version that is given in October and November.

19. drb2b

drb2b

Pre-Medical
    She may be trying to apply for this app cycle so the lastest she could take it is Nov.

Last edited: 09.22.14
  20. bellab17

bellab17 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

I actually spoke to my manager today and he said he was willing to give me some time off to finish studying for it (3 to 3 1/2 wks) before my test! So thankfully, I can take and break and then still have a job when I finish my test. I just have to decide whether I want to take the Oct or Nov test now and then hit the ground running to make use of these fews wks to study!

Thanks so much Sdn family for all of your advice/responses! xoxoxo

About the ads