Help Snip my List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Swagman1234

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi!
I have compiled a list of schools I may apply to in the upcoming cycle. I have a LizzyM of around 78 with my GPA above a 3.9, and my MCAT above a 520. I attend a very respectable undergraduate in the state of New York, which is also where I reside. My extracurriculars are nothing extraordinary but I do check the boxes, and will fill in some holes (community service) during my gap year.

Clinical
- 500 hours of clinical experience transporting patients to correct area of hospital

Shadowing
-60 hours which include time with primary care physicians

Community Service
-125 hours volunteer tutoring (100 hours paid)
-100 hour serving aiding in organizing event for cancer awareness
-Will begin working in a soup kitchen this semester and carry it on until I matriculate (4 hr/wk)

Research
-Around 400 hours total, with a poster on my independent project

Hobbies
-I produce hip-hop instrumentals and blog about sports

My school list
-Harvard
-Columbia
-NYU
-UMich
-Cornell
-Sinai
-Albert Einstein
-Boston University
-Northwestern
-UChicago
-Duke
-WashU
-CWRU
-Vandy
-UPenn
-Tufts
-SUNY Downstate
-SUNY Upstate
-Stony Brook
-Hofstra
-Jefferson
-UVA
-Emory
-Dartmouth
-OSU
-UCinci
-USC
-SLU
-UMiami
-Vermont
-Western Michigan
-IU

I have a list of 32 schools which I feel is a very comprehensive list and am trying to get it down to 20-25 schools. Want a good balance of reach schools , target schools, upper mid-tiers, and "safeties". I will prefer to stay in an urban city in the Northeast (NYC, Boston, Philly). Any tips on how I can condense my list?

Members don't see this ad.

I would remove the schools that are competitive, but not in your desired area. i.e. OSU, Cinci, WashU, USC, Vandy, unless there are specific reason you don't want them. You could also cut any low tier schools not in your desired region that have the risk of yield protecting you. Just my initial thoughts.

Reactions: 1 user
Suggest

-Harvard
-Columbia
-NYU
-Cornell
-Sinai
-Albert Einstein
-Boston University
-Northwestern
-WashU
-CWRU