Help !!! Starting from the bottom literally !!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RipW

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so here we go I am 20 years old, and to put it simply my first year and a half of college sucked. You see I'm the type or person who needs to have a plan and end goal. My first year or so of college I didn't know what I wanted to do and that reflected in my grades. I had no motivation, no passion or push to go great. Which resulted in me settling for the bare minimum. I'm still not so sure exactly but I know Med school is a step in the right direction. I’m planning on majoring in Spanish and minoring in cultural anthropology then off to med school but I need help figuring it all out. What steps to take next and how to make the impossible possible. I don't want to be discouraged I just need help.

I have 30 hours prior to the start of this semester fall 14 my CGpa is a 2.0 as of right now. My plan was to transfer to a state institution for spring 15. ( I do know my gap needs more then some work) like I said my first year sucked. I'm taking 10 hours now and when I transfer I plan on taking 12-15 hours! (I held off on taking science and math classes because I wanted to take them at university)

Question # 1 do I need to major in a science to get into to med school?

Questions # 2 can someone please work with me on figuring out how to go about fixing my GPA? I know I need to retake classes but I'm not sure if its better to retake the classes I got c's and d's over the summer at Juco or take them at the school I plan on transfer into over the summer.

Question # 3 I live in Houston so volunteering at one of the hospitals in the medical center is a good idea how would one go about that?

Question # 4 give it to me straight I know I'm a bit up a long shot, under dog if you will but can it be done? Can i get into a medical program? (p.s I know Harvard and all them are out the window I wasn't even going to try)

If you need any additional information on my academic background or plans please ask I’m sure ill think of other question but this is all I got as of now. Thank you in advance for all of your help :)

Members don't see this ad.

Okay so here we go I am 20 years old, and to put it simply my first year and a half of college sucked. You see I'm the type or person who needs to have a plan and end goal. My first year or so of college I didn't know what I wanted to do and that reflected in my grades. I had no motivation, no passion or push to go great. Which resulted in me settling for the bare minimum. I'm still not so sure exactly but I know Med school is a step in the right direction. I’m planning on majoring in Spanish and minoring in cultural anthropology then off to med school but I need help figuring it all out. What steps to take next and how to make the impossible possible. I don't want to be discouraged I just need help.

I have 30 hours prior to the start of this semester fall 14 my CGpa is a 2.0 as of right now. My plan was to transfer to a state institution for spring 15. ( I do know my gap needs more then some work) like I said my first year sucked. I'm taking 10 hours now and when I transfer I plan on taking 12-15 hours! (I held off on taking science and math classes because I wanted to take them at university)

Questions # 2 can someone please work with me on figuring out how to go about fixing my GPA? I know I need to retake classes but I'm not sure if its better to retake the classes I got c's and d's over the summer at Juco or take them at the school I plan on transfer into over the summer.

Question # 3 I live in Houston so volunteering at one of the hospitals in the medical center is a good idea how would one go about that?

Question # 4 give it to me straight I know I'm a bit up a long shot, under dog if you will but can it be done? Can i get into a medical program? (p.s I know Harvard and all them are out the window I wasn't even going to try)

If you need any additional information on my academic background or plans please ask I’m sure ill think of other question but this is all I got as of now. Thank you in advance for all of your help :)

1. No. You just need to take the pre-requisites.
2. For US MD schools, course retakes will not affect your GPA. If you are attempting to apply for osteopathic medical schools (DO), then it is generally recommended you retake courses in which you received a C or below. I would take the courses at the institution you are most likely to succceed at taking them.
3. Fix your grades and get your head on straight before you try to start doing extracurriculars
4. You can get into A medical school, but this might not be allopathic. It all depends on your GPA when your apply, and how well you do on the MCAT. The poorer your GPA the higher your MCAT will neeed to be to make up for it, but at some points no MCAT will save an awful GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
Yea you are still so early in the journey. Just start doing good in your classes and doors will open. By the end of college you will know whether or not becoming a physician is feasible, and after that you will be able to decide MD vs DO.

Just start killing your classes and when the time comes do well on the MCAT, not much else you can do at this point. Your gpa is by no means irreparable, you can absolutely still do this, it just will take hard work. Retake classes that you got C's and D's in, especially if you are applying to DO school, this can drastically change your gpa since they have grade replacement for retakes. Otherwise just stay the course and keep your head down.

Members don't see this ad :)
We don't care what your majors (or minor is) only that you do well. I have clinical colleagues who were drama and English majors.

Retake every F/D/C science coursework. Get As from now on. There are plenty of schools like and reward rising trends, especially when combined with a good MCAT score. The DO path will be easier, and if you're boning for an MD, you might have to do a post-bac or SMP.

Most hospitals have volunteer offices. Not all volunteering needs to be in a hospital. Think hospice, Planned Parenthood, nursing homes, rehab facilities, camps for sick children, or clinics. Check out your local houses of worship for volunteer opportunities.

You also need to go to your school's learning or education center to get help with your learning styles and test taking skills, not to mention time mgt skills. But yes, it still is possible. Harvard might not be doable, but Case and Vanderbilt might be.

Thank you guys so much for you help and input! I'm defiantly going to focus and work heard these next couple of years as well as get fix my Gpa. Wish me luck !