Help!! Still need to take DAT...when to take it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brush n floss

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I still have to take my DAT, but I am also currently enrolled in Organic Chem 2. We can choose to take the OChem final on July 15th or July 20th. I think I will be prepared to take the DAT around the same time, but I don't want to take them back-to-back. The only available DAT dates are July 13, 15, 18, 19, 26. What would you do?

Members don't see this ad.

I still have to take my DAT, but I am also currently enrolled in Organic Chem 2. We can choose to take the OChem final on July 15th or July 20th. I think I will be prepared to take the DAT around the same time, but I don't want to take them back-to-back. The only available DAT dates are July 13, 15, 18, 19, 26. What would you do?

Me = July 13th DAT
Orgo = July 20th

about 1 week between them.

ochem 15th and DAT 26th, u will very grateful having just that extra week of DAT hammer time

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't think that's too late to take the DAT?

July 15th vs july 26th isn't too big of a difference, when you consider that it could possibly mean a higher DAT score. Either way, you didn't submit early June so you're kind of late anyway. Take it on the 26th and rock it.

O-Chem: July 15
DAT: July 26

An extra two weeks at this point will not make a huge difference for you, but and extra 10 days to review for the DAT will. O-Chem will be fresh on your mind, so you should be able to just study for the other sections.

So this is assuming, you have already studied for all other section of the DAT, then you should take final on July 15th and take DAT on july 26th.

But if that is not the case then later dates

You don't think that's too late to take the DAT?

I dont know what exactly is late when it comes to applying and taking the DAT. I do agree that it will be worth taking the test with a few more days of studying and getting a better score. Just think would you rather get a 19 or 20...etc :)

Either way, you didn't submit early June so you're kind of late anyway.

I dont understand what you meant by you're kind of late anyway. James Betbeze from UCSF told me they consider applicant submissions up to mid July to be early.

Where are you getting this "late" theory from? Thanks!

Oh yeah, and I agree with 104, take OCHEM 15th and DAT 26th.
It turns out it takes weeks to get your DAT score up onto AADSAS and so I don't think that one week separation will make much difference anyway, and having ochem fresh is always a good thing before you take your DAT. Plus DAT q's are relatively simple- most likely nothing close to what you'll be tested on for your final, so you need to take that break from 'over-thinking-mode' to strategy-mode. Anyway, good luck on both!