help..still on fence about sitting for aug mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mommy2three

PGY-1
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am signed up to sit for the august mcat and am currently debating whether or not to risk taking it.
i already have a score (from april 2004) so that is not an issue for me this application cycle. however my score is average for the school i am applying to (26R) so i was hoping to take it again to boostmy score thereby bettering my chances for a successful application. to that end i have been enrolled in the kaplan prep class. the second fl i scored a 33, third fl 29 and then fourth fl a 26 :eek: not really sure what happened there :confused: .
i have basically been studying my collective butt off this week in an attempt to do better on the last fl we are taking tomorrow but am in a bit of a ctach 22 as to whether or not to take the real thing.
if i do take it, raise my score a few points but still do not get in i would want to take it again next year to get my score above 30 (if i was not there this time). so then i would be dealing with schools looking at me who has taken the mcat 3 times. from what i have heard, even though you are allowed to take it three times it is generally not looked upon favorably if you do. anyone have any insight on this??
on the other hand if i do not take it i run the risk of my application being rejected due to low mcat score. the entire puropse of me even attempting to take it this time was to remove any possible reason that the school had to tell me no.
any insight/advice woudl be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

here's what I'd do- instead of taking another Kaplan exam: I'd suggest you take AAMC's 8 and 9 within the next few days ( 9 being last year's actual test), and see where you stand. AAMC's are slightly different than Kaplan's, and much better predictors of real deal, you may see a difference in scores between kaplan's and aamc. I would use those scores as a deciding factor. If within or sligntly above the range of MCAt scores for your prospective schools- go ahead and apply. If not- I'd even consider waiting a cycle.To answer your question- yes, schools generally do not like seeing multiple (3)scores, and some schools may even average them. "their" thinking is.. 'well, does this person execute tasks he/she is not really ready for?" I'm certainly not saying it's you, but you wouldn't want to raise that flag.
Good luck in your decision!

just my 2 cents..

mommy2three said:
i am signed up to sit for the august mcat and am currently debating whether or not to risk taking it.
i already have a score (from april 2004) so that is not an issue for me this application cycle. however my score is average for the school i am applying to (26R) so i was hoping to take it again to boostmy score thereby bettering my chances for a successful application. to that end i have been enrolled in the kaplan prep class. the second fl i scored a 33, third fl 29 and then fourth fl a 26 :eek: not really sure what happened there :confused: .
i have basically been studying my collective butt off this week in an attempt to do better on the last fl we are taking tomorrow but am in a bit of a ctach 22 as to whether or not to take the real thing.
if i do take it, raise my score a few points but still do not get in i would want to take it again next year to get my score above 30 (if i was not there this time). so then i would be dealing with schools looking at me who has taken the mcat 3 times. from what i have heard, even though you are allowed to take it three times it is generally not looked upon favorably if you do. anyone have any insight on this??
on the other hand if i do not take it i run the risk of my application being rejected due to low mcat score. the entire puropse of me even attempting to take it this time was to remove any possible reason that the school had to tell me no.
any insight/advice woudl be greatly appreciated.

Inessa said:
here's what I'd do- instead of taking another Kaplan exam: I'd suggest you take AAMC's 8 and 9 within the next few days ( 9 being last year's actual test), and see where you stand. AAMC's are slightly different than Kaplan's, and much better predictors of real deal, you may see a difference in scores between kaplan's and aamc. I would use those scores as a deciding factor. If within or sligntly above the range of MCAt scores for your prospective schools- go ahead and apply. If not- I'd even consider waiting a cycle.To answer your question- yes, schools generally do not like seeing multiple (3)scores, and some schools may even average them. "their" thinking is.. 'well, does this person execute tasks he/she is not really ready for?" I'm certainly not saying it's you, but you wouldn't want to raise that flag.
Good luck in your decision!

just my 2 cents..

I agree...start taking AAMC's, see how your scores are, and then decide. :luck: