Help stop ARNP rx controlled substances and independent practice in Fl

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tony montana

Dr. G-Spot
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Even if you're not in Florida you may contact the representatives and let them know you oppose this political move by the ARNP movement

House Bill (HB) 7113 is being heard in the Health and Human Services Committee. This bad bill willsignificantly expand nurses' scope of practice. HB 7113 does the following:

• Creates the "Independent Nurse Practitioner,” allowing nurses to practice independently/without physician supervision. 

• Allows ARNPs to administer, dispense and prescribe controlled substances and narcotics. Our state has made great strides to curtail the prescription drug epidemic and we should not move backward. 

For more information on this bill, please click here.

Please call or email the House members listed below and let them know that this bill is dangerous for their constituents — your patients. Tell them there is no evidence that such a broad-based expansion will reduce costs to the health care system. Let them know that nurses play an important role in your practice. However, allowing them to practice independently is unnecessary and unsafe.

Richard Corcoran (Chair)(850) 717-5037[email protected]
Larry Ahern (Vice Chair)(850) 717-5066[email protected]
Mia L. Jones (D. Ranking Mem.)(850) 717-5014[email protected]
Jason T. Brodeur(850) 717-5028[email protected]
Gwyndolen Clarke-Reed(850) 717-5092[email protected]
W. Travis Cummings(850) 717-5018[email protected]
Katie A. Edwards(850) 717-5098[email protected]
Joseph A. "Joe" Gibbons(850) 717-5100[email protected]
Gayle B. Harrell(850) 717-5083[email protected]
Matt Hudson(850) 717-5080[email protected]
Shevrin D. "Shev" Jones(850) 717-5101[email protected]
Amanda Hickman Murphy(850) 717-5036[email protected]
Jose R. Oliva(850) 717-5110[email protected]
Jimmy Patronis(850) 717-5006[email protected]
Cary Pigman(850) 717-5055[email protected]
Ronald "Doc" Renuart(850) 717-5017[email protected]
Kenneth L. "Ken" Roberson(850) 717-5075[email protected]
John Wood(850) 717-5041[email protected]
You can use the language below when emailing the House members:

As a physician, I am very concerned about HB 7113. This bill significantly expands the scope of practice for nurses. The training physicians receive to practice medicine is, on average, 14,000 patient contact hours. This far exceeds the 720 hours required for ARNPs.

Allowing ARNPs to prescribe powerful narcotics in a state with an ongoing prescription drug abuse issue is dangerous to Floridians. This legislation will give 10,000 additional people the authority to prescribe these addictive narcotics. This has the potential to once again make Florida the prescription drug capital of the United States.

I value the role of nurses in my practice and believe them to be a critical part of the health care team. However, I don't believe giving nurses the ability to practice without physician supervision would save money or increase access to health care providers in Florida. We need to address the physician shortage in our state. We don't need to cover this up and create other unforeseen problems.

Please vote NO on HB 7113. It is dangerous to the patients of our state.

Members don't see this ad.

Where is your state medical association at on this? They should issuing a statement on the subject and their stance.

We need to address the physician shortage in our state.

I missed your previous posts requesting support to ping your reps to fix the physician shortage in your state. Just sayin'.