Help! Strange Situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OldSchooler

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've got to make a move on this quickly and was hoping to get your thoughts. Thanks to all who can help!

I skipped out on the second half of phys lab (so I have 6 lecture credits, but only 1 lab credit) becaus it wasn't required for my major. I'm in a PhD program at an institute which doesn't have an undergrad college, so taking it now is a little problematic. As I see it I have a couple options:

1: Take the lab at a CC now (I'm applying next year, for 2010 matriculation)

2: Wait and take it after accpetance, if I have to.

I'm tempted to wait, because some of the schools I'm applying to don't require, and others have indicated that getting it waived may be an option. So if I wait, do I put it down as a future course in my application or not? I'd rather not because I don't want to commit to something I may not have to do. But I don't want that deficiency to hurt my app. Thoughts? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, I've got to make a move on this quickly and was hoping to get your thoughts. Thanks to all who can help!

I skipped out on the second half of phys lab (so I have 6 lecture credits, but only 1 lab credit) becaus it wasn't required for my major. I'm in a PhD program at an institute which doesn't have an undergrad college, so taking it now is a little problematic. As I see it I have a couple options:

1: Take the lab at a CC now (I'm applying next year, for 2010 matriculation)

2: Wait and take it after accpetance, if I have to.

I'm tempted to wait, because some of the schools I'm applying to don't require, and others have indicated that getting it waived may be an option. So if I wait, do I put it down as a future course in my application or not? I'd rather not because I don't want to commit to something I may not have to do. But I don't want that deficiency to hurt my app. Thoughts? Thanks.

You do not need to take every class you label as "future course". It's not a binding contract.

I would just put it. Either way, if accepted, the school should let you know what requirements you need to have finished by matriculation or whatever their deadline is.

You do not need to take every class you label as "future course". It's not a binding contract.

I would just put it. Either way, if accepted, the school should let you know what requirements you need to have finished by matriculation or whatever their deadline is.

Well said! Here, Here. Long live the King!

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks for the responses everyone. That's what I was thinking I'd do. But can anyone think of any reason why saying that I'll take a prerequisite at a CC the summer before matriculation if needed would hurt me at a school that requires or doesn't require that prerequisite? Thanks again.

Be very, very careful when you go to the schools asking if you meet the requirements. I was told by every school I applied to that I met the requirements (I was on quarters, and was technically .2 credit hours shy of meeting the req). I was careful to check b/c I needed to set my fall schedule.

Well, lo and behold, after interviews, I get an email from a random admin at one school asking me for documentation that I was fulfilling that extra .2 credit hours.
I responded with a copy of the email from the asst. dean saying I met the requirements, and asked if I needed to send anything else, and if I needed to take another class, to let me know so I could enroll in a course. Got another email saying, ok, we'll contact you if we need anything else. A little while later, ended up on the waitlist.

Just saying, it's possible that if they are torn between you and someone else, that little bit of lab could be the coin toss. For myself, I sort of took it as a sign that it wasn't the right school for me anyhow.

Thanks for the responses everyone. That's what I was thinking I'd do. But can anyone think of any reason why saying that I'll take a prerequisite at a CC the summer before matriculation if needed would hurt me at a school that requires or doesn't require that prerequisite? Thanks again.

You don't have to tell them you're going to take it at a community college. If they ask you, simply say that you plan on taking it the summer before matriculation if necessary. Keep in mind that some schools start in July so you will need to find a place where the lab will be done by then.