HELP! SUNY Downstate MD/PhD Interview (or any general MD/PhD)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

benfolds21

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview coming up for MD/PhD and I really don't know how to prepare for it as there are like 5 interviews. I am freaking out.

If you have interviewed MD/PhD at Downstate...could you send me feedback about how to prepare or if you are an MD/PhD interview master, send me ideas on how to prepare (read New England Journal Articles, Healthcare issues, etc etc)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I can't say I'm an expert, but here's some tips. I interviewed at Upstate and there were 4 interviews.
1: Know your research. You will be asked about it.
2: Look at the faculty pages to see what your interviewers do and what their research interests are
3. Read a journal article (or at least the abstracts) that your interviewers recently published
4. Ask them to talk about their research somewhere in the interview if they don't already
5. ask to see the lab or to talk with students so that you know what the facilities are like
6. Read online to understand how the MD and PhD curricula are integrated - and ask for clarification if necessary
7. get to know the other interviewees
Good luck!

1. Why both degrees? Do you want to go into academic medicine? Do you want to do basic/clinical/translational research? Do you want to be chairman one day?
2. Why Downstate? Pick a couple labs from the website that might be of interest to you.
3. Convince them you won't drop the PhD if things don't go smoothly at first. Convince them of your commitment to research.
4. Relax! It's not a witch hunt!
:thumbup: