HELP!! Taking MCAT this Saturday!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fabulous20

medalltheway
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I obviously can't get out of taking the MCAT this Saturday.

My practice AAMC scores are nowhere near where I want them to be - they are around in the mid 20's fluctuating always and my TPR ones are in the low 20's. For example, I once got a 9 on the TPR verbal, but I dropped to a 6 on the AAMC! So weird. To be honest, I think I need to review a bit more and do just a bit more problems in general and I will feel ready then.

But, I was thinking on just taking the MCAT this Saturday and NOT score it.

BUT, I have been studying ALL semester and I feel like it's a waste to have done so and then never know how I did. Plus, ALL the time I put into it and everything I have neglected this semester, including my easy classes still bothers me. I will get a sucky 20-something, I'm sure. But, what should I do????

Should I score it this Saturday, and then re-take it during summer??? Or, should I go ahead and take it but not score it????

Members don't see this ad.

I would take it and not score it.

I wish I had not scored mine back in Aug because the real one seemed harder/different to me. I now think I have a better idea of how to study and not waste time doing some things I was doing.

Obviously based on your scores, you are not ready to break a 30 unless some stars align, etc. So, I say learn from it and get a look at a real one and plus you can get the nerves out of the way too.

This way you can have the summer to know exactly what you are up against and prepare better.

If you are good/great standardized taker, then you can overcome the nerves and difficulty. So, take what I say with a grain of salt and move forward.

You should NOT have your test scored. Take the test if you want since you already paid for it and can't get a refund. Again, do NOT have your test scored. A miracle will most likely not happen and you will score around your average or lower. I haven't heard of one person that had a mid 20 or lower average that scored higher on the real deal. Lastly, the AAMC verbal sections are MORE representative of the real thing so you're likely to get a verbal score around your AAMC average.

Members don't see this ad :)
My opinion: take it and do not score. If your practice test scores are in the mid-20s then your test will most likely be in the mid-20s. If you're not happy with that score, than do not score the test! Don't beat yourself over it though. It's really good that you aimed for that day. Keep studying until you're finally ready to take the test and get the score you want.

So I assume it's much worse to get a mediocre MCAT score and then, retake and get an amazing one....as opposed to taking it later and just doing well?

This means I will have to take a year off because I have also heard that it is also VERY important to apply early. And, I think applying in July is too late for me because I have a low GPA, I have great rec-letters, extracurriculars, etc, and I am relying BIG TIME on my MCAT to outweigh my very low GPA.

And, I wanted to apply June 1st, which means I will just have to wait a year so I can apply next year then.

So I assume it's much worse to get a mediocre MCAT score and then, retake and get an amazing one....as opposed to taking it later and just doing well?

This means I will have to take a year off because I have also heard that it is also VERY important to apply early. And, I think applying in July is too late for me because I have a low GPA, I have great rec-letters, extracurriculars, etc, and I am relying BIG TIME on my MCAT to outweigh my very low GPA.

And, I wanted to apply June 1st, which means I will just have to wait a year so I can apply next year then.
If you take this test in July, submit AMCAS in early June, and fill out secondaries throughout July through early August...then you can be complete in most schools in august and still considered very early.

But, I thought I needed to have EVERYTHING in by June 1st....as in my MCAT score as well...I'm pretty sure that's what I've heard.

ANd, I want to apply the FIRST DAY, which is June 1st for most schools.

Won't they NOT look at whole application UNTIL I turn in my mcat score???

Also, my application looks pretty crappy unless my MCAT score makes up for my horrible GPA.

If you take this test in July, submit AMCAS in early June, and fill out secondaries throughout July through early August...then you can be complete in most schools in august and still considered very early.

WHAT?? NO NO NO NO. DO NOT LISTEN TO THEM.

AMCAS WILL NOT SEND ANYTHING, NOT EVEN YOUR PRIMARIES, TO SCHOOLS UNTIL THEY RECEIVE YOUR MCAT.

you cannot complete your secondaries in july because you won't have any to fillout! the schools won't even get your primaries until august when your mcat finally comes in! if you need to delay your mcat, then fine, but don't delay any later than May.

i don't know where all the above ppl are getting their info but NO NO NO, IT'S COMPLETELY WRONG. you do need to worry about this. those ppl saying "don't worry!! you'll be complete by august/september and schools don't start reading before that so you'll be early!!!" is a load of GARBAGE in your situation. you will not be complete till like the end of the September at earliest and you will have missed all of the first round interviewing. take the mcat for the first time no later than end of May!!

i just took mine april 5th. i took it early so even if i don't get the score i want, i can at least have A MCAT SCORE TO SEND so i can at least submit my AMCAS early. if i need to retake then I can in June or August or whenever. the only down side to this is some schools screen before sending secondaries, so hopefully my MCAT won't be too low to get screened before i can retake! haha i think i did okay tho...it's too hard to stay....

and no i wasn't PLANNING to retake it...haha i don't want to...i just scheduled it like this IN CASE i need to. always good to have a backup plan right?

WHAT?? NO NO NO NO. DO NOT LISTEN TO THEM.

AMCAS WILL NOT SEND ANYTHING, NOT EVEN YOUR PRIMARIES, TO SCHOOLS UNTIL THEY RECEIVE YOUR MCAT.

you cannot complete your secondaries in july because you won't have any to fillout! the schools won't even get your primaries until august when your mcat finally comes in! if you need to delay your mcat, then fine, but don't delay any later than May.

lol...not great advice.

Firstly, you can take the MCAT in June and still get the earliest secondaries, and you can take it in july and still get VERY early secondaries. It's true AMCAS won't send it till everything is in order, but AMCAS opens up pretty early compared to when secondaries go out/interviews start rolling out. Best advice is to take the MCAT when you're ready. That would be best if it was in June but if need be then take it in July, a bad score isn't exactly going to make the process easier.

lol...not great advice.

Firstly, you can take the MCAT in June and still get the earliest secondaries, and you can take it in july and still get VERY early secondaries. It's true AMCAS won't send it till everything is in order, but AMCAS opens up pretty early compared to when secondaries go out/interviews start rolling out. Best advice is to take the MCAT when you're ready. That would be best if it was in June but if need be then take it in July, a bad score isn't exactly going to make the process easier.

you *******, i didn't say he couldn't take it June. June would be fine, too, July is late tho. he won't even get his PRIMARIES sent out till mid August by taking even the EARLIEST july test because the earliest score comes in August 12th. it then takes them a few weeks at least respond to you with the secondaries so he won't get them till end of august/september. in the end he'll probably be complete if he works fast either mid or later september and will miss the first interviews in OCTOBER. you are an idiot cohen.

and how about you read my entire post and not just QUOTE PART OF IT. i specifically said you can take it early that way you can RETAKE it later if needed later after you've already sent out your primaries with your possible subpar score. you can then update the schools later when your new score comes in...also like i said the only downside is some schools screen pre-secondaries and you don't know if youll do better for sure the 2nd time.

Members don't see this ad :)
**Everyone, please keep the discussion civil. Thank you.

The reason that the OP shouldn't have his MCAT scored is because his scores are too low and there is not enough time for him to bring them up. It's better to take the MCAT when you are ready to kill it, than to rush out your application. I am glad that I took my MCAT in September and not in June. I would not have been ready in June or July. The beginning of July, admittedly is a bit late, but in the OPs situation, his first priority is to make sure that he can break 30 or 31 on the MCAT.

The reason that you can start working on your secondaries in July is because there is a big list of secondary essays located here:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=419935

Also, most schools don't even starts sending out secondaries until the end of the first week of July. So submitting secondaries in August is still "on time".

There is nothing wrong with taking the MCAT at the end of June. It would be better, of course, to take it in May or early June, but that might not be a feasible option given the OPs scores.

so then i should just NOT score my mcat this saturday, take it during summer, and apply next year...since taking it in june would be too late to apply as early as i had hoped for...which would be in june 1st?

so then i should just NOT score my mcat this saturday, take it during summer, and apply next year...since taking it in june would be too late to apply as early as i had hoped for...which would be in june 1st?

naaa you're okay. i'd NOT score it like ppl have said and then take it in summer. unless you think did amazing on it coming out...i dont know. like, what if the test you got had EVERYTHING YOU KNEW ON IT, i think thatd be a good feeling that you shouldn't cancel it haha. you should still apply THIS YEAR tho. simply try to retake the MCAT by the mid June testdate if possible

For sure: DO NOT SCORE! It won't do you any good. But really, really study hard for this test and try to take it in June. If your scores aren't good enough, aim for july. Keep doing this until you get the score you want and then take the test. Otherwise, you won't study as hard or as well. If you feel ready in June/July, you can still apply this year and it won't hurt you...especially because you will have a kick-*** mcat score by then. If it takes until sept to get a great score, so be it. Then apply next year with a great mcat score.
Do some searches on SDN to convince yourself the getting a good score is more important than applying early. It will be worth it. :luck:

**Everyone, please keep the discussion civil. Thank you.

The reason that the OP shouldn't have his MCAT scored is because his scores are too low and there is not enough time for him to bring them up. It's better to take the MCAT when you are ready to kill it, than to rush out your application. I am glad that I took my MCAT in September and not in June. I would not have been ready in June or July. The beginning of July, admittedly is a bit late, but in the OPs situation, his first priority is to make sure that he can break 30 or 31 on the MCAT.

The reason that you can start working on your secondaries in July is because there is a big list of secondary essays located here:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=419935

Also, most schools don't even starts sending out secondaries until the end of the first week of July. So submitting secondaries in August is still "on time".

There is nothing wrong with taking the MCAT at the end of June. It would be better, of course, to take it in May or early June, but that might not be a feasible option given the OPs scores.

yeah but if he took it mid july, he still wouldn't get the primaries sentout at all till mid august. it still takes the schools at least a few weeks to send out the secondaries upon receiving the primaries. even if he has the secondaries filled out via SDN beforehand, by the time he gets them and instantly sends them in that'll be like first or 2nd week of September. hmm i don't know...i just know first interviews start in october. you MIGHT make the first round of interviews if youre complete by early september...you'll definitely get priority tho if you have them all finished by end of August. so who knows...I GUESS you'd be okay taking it in July too. try not to push it any later than that tho...personally id want to take it no later than mid June but that's IMO

A mid-june test date at the latest is a good cut-off point. Work your butt off this summer and see if you can be ready by June 1st There's a still 1.5 months till then! If you are ready by the beginning of June then take the test and have it scored.
Check out the thread I posted earlier about the secondary essays and you can get started on them. Even if they changes some of the essays you can still use the same ideas.

Can I get in on this advice? I've been talking about not feeling confident and this week has been a complete bust as far as trying to improve on my week areas because of other exams. I'm averaging 8PS 10VR 9-10BS and I really need to break thirty on the real thing to be competitive at UW. Since my range has been 26-29, and I haven't even done that many practice exams I am seriously considering voiding. I only need to improve by a point or two in every section so I feel like I'd be ready by May 31st.

What do you guys think?

you *******, i didn't say he couldn't take it June. June would be fine, too, July is late tho. he won't even get his PRIMARIES sent out till mid August by taking even the EARLIEST july test because the earliest score comes in August 12th. it then takes them a few weeks at least respond to you with the secondaries so he won't get them till end of august/september. in the end he'll probably be complete if he works fast either mid or later september and will miss the first interviews in OCTOBER. you are an idiot cohen.

and how about you read my entire post and not just QUOTE PART OF IT. i specifically said you can take it early that way you can RETAKE it later if needed later after you've already sent out your primaries with your possible subpar score. you can then update the schools later when your new score comes in...also like i said the only downside is some schools screen pre-secondaries and you don't know if youll do better for sure the 2nd time.

Lol...well I'm sure he's lurking as he makes his next new account, so firstly:

I didn't "partially quote," he had edited his post before I wrote in my response.

Secondly, "take it no later than may" quite clearly implies that June is late because, after all, June is indeed later than May.

As has been said, taking it as late as June puts you at no disadvantage. July is a slight disadvantage (but quite slight). Ultimately the most important thing you can do is do as well on the test as possible. Once you're above 30 the scores matter less and less, but below 30 every point definitely counts. Take it, go in for the experience, but don't expect an incredible performance.

Can I get in on this advice? I've been talking about not feeling confident and this week has been a complete bust as far as trying to improve on my week areas because of other exams. I'm averaging 8PS 10VR 9-10BS and I really need to break thirty on the real thing to be competitive at UW. Since my range has been 26-29, and I haven't even done that many practice exams I am seriously considering voiding. I only need to improve by a point or two in every section so I feel like I'd be ready by May 31st.

What do you guys think?

Honestly in your case I think don't void. It's too late to cancel the test as it is, and you're close enough that you really could just do better than you expect. I don't know when the latest you can get a refund is but if you really want to cover all bases then you can maybe take the test and sign up for a test that's late enough where you know your score from the first one and can still get a refund. Regardless, don't void. While I wouldn't expect to do worlds better than your current average, it's definitely possible. I don't really think it hurts much if at all to have taken it multiple times.

What do you guys think?
yeah, I kinda agree with dcohen on this one...you're really on the border. It's a close call, but I don't think you should void. A score in the high 20's will not at all kill you application if you decide to take it again. So, there's really not much to worry about.
Do you know how UW looks at you mcat scores...do they take the most recent or the average? I think it might be worth it to look into that.

Honestly in your case I think don't void. It's too late to cancel the test as it is, and you're close enough that you really could just do better than you expect. I don't know when the latest you can get a refund is but if you really want to cover all bases then you can maybe take the test and sign up for a test that's late enough where you know your score from the first one and can still get a refund. Regardless, don't void. While I wouldn't expect to do worlds better than your current average, it's definitely possible. I don't really think it hurts much if at all to have taken it multiple times.

Damn you! I keep flip flopping on this issue and had totally flipped back to the idea of voiding and now you go and say this crap and I'm floppin right back. Thanks for the advice though. I think I'm just going to put my all into the test and unless I know that I had to guess too much or blanked and freaked out, I'll plan on having it scored.

yeah, I kinda agree with dcohen on this one...you're really on the border. It's a close call, but I don't think you should void. A score in the high 20's will not at all kill you application if you decide to take it again. So, there's really not much to worry about.
Do you know how UW looks at you mcat scores...do they take the most recent or the average? I think it might be worth it to look into that.

I'll have to double check, but I seem to remember it is the most recent. Also, their policy for instaters is automatic interviews for those with a weighted GPA above 3.5 (which I have) and a 27 (9 on each section)...I think I can hit 27, just not too confident about the 9 on PS.

In any event, I will know my score before the retake (5/31) and I plan on just continuing to study as if I had never taken the test. Because if I end up averaging closer to a 32+ by the time I get my score back, I will prob retake even if I hit 29.

Thanks again for the input

Damn you! I keep flip flopping on this issue and had totally flipped back to the idea of voiding and now you go and say this crap and I'm floppin right back. Thanks for the advice though. I think I'm just going to put my all into the test and unless I know that I had to guess too much or blanked and freaked out, I'll plan on having it scored.

well just go on and kick arse on it...hopefully a month from now you're going to be thanking me instead of damning me ;)

I'll have to double check, but I seem to remember it is the most recent. Also, their policy for instaters is automatic interviews for those with a weighted GPA above 3.5 (which I have) and a 27 (9 on each section)...I think I can hit 27, just not too confident about the 9 on PS.

In any event, I will know my score before the retake (5/31) and I plan on just continuing to study as if I had never taken the test. Because if I end up averaging closer to a 32+ by the time I get my score back, I will prob retake even if I hit 29.

Thanks again for the input
That sounds like a great decision...go ahead and score it. Hopefully, you'll hit the score you want the first time!!! :luck:

doc henry, i'm in the same situation as you. My scores just aren't consistent at all, ranging from 27-30. However lately, I've been getting consistent 30s, but never get past 30. I've gotten a relatively high score for all 3 sections (around 12), but never on the same test.
But I feel like voiding the test it's not an option (unless I know for sure i really bombed the test), cause I've spent so much time and energy studying for this test

I think what's going to break or make me is the verbal...I can get consistent 10s on PS and 11s on bio, but my verbal fluctuates between 7-10

doc henry, i'm in the same situation as you. My scores just aren't consistent at all, ranging from 27-30. However lately, I've been getting consistent 30s, but never get past 30. I've gotten a relatively high score for all 3 sections (around 12), but never on the same test.
But I feel like voiding the test it's not an option (unless I know for sure i really bombed the test), cause I've spent so much time and energy studying for this test

I think what's going to break or make me is the verbal...I can get consistent 10s on PS and 11s on bio, but my verbal fluctuates between 7-10

Isn't if funny how there is always one section giving people trouble? Verbal I've been good with. I actually enjoy it after the stress of PS, and haven't scored below a 10 on an AAMC Verbal...PS is a different story, ugh. Anywhere from 7-9 on that. I've never gotten a 10 which is really discouraging.

I'm 99% sure I wont void. If I get my averages I will get a 27/28...if verbal is really nice to me I could get a 29/30...We'll see!

I obviously can't get out of taking the MCAT this Saturday.

My practice AAMC scores are nowhere near where I want them to be - they are around in the mid 20's fluctuating always and my TPR ones are in the low 20's. For example, I once got a 9 on the TPR verbal, but I dropped to a 6 on the AAMC! So weird. To be honest, I think I need to review a bit more and do just a bit more problems in general and I will feel ready then.

But, I was thinking on just taking the MCAT this Saturday and NOT score it.

BUT, I have been studying ALL semester and I feel like it's a waste to have done so and then never know how I did. Plus, ALL the time I put into it and everything I have neglected this semester, including my easy classes still bothers me. I will get a sucky 20-something, I'm sure. But, what should I do????

Should I score it this Saturday, and then re-take it during summer??? Or, should I go ahead and take it but not score it????

Usually people who get 20s on TPR and Kaplan tests do a lot better on the AAMCs, I usually scored 3 points higher on AAMC, and on the real thing I did a bit better than my Kaplan tests. Honestly if you are worried about your MCAT, take it and cancel the scores, keep studying and take it again at a later date.