help! talk me into or out of ditching these schools.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor Bagel

so cheap and juicy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
okay, based on personal issues like the fact that i'd like my husband to be able to accompany me wherever i go to school (and work!) and would like to go to an established school with several years of match lists, i'm thinking about dropping my application with the following schools. if you know of any amazing pros for the schools and think i'm being an idiot, please let me know.

lecom-fl -- too new, no match lists
pcom-ga -- same thing, don't dig the south
touro-nv -- again, too new
vcom -- too new, too conservative, too rural
pcsom -- too isolated
wvcom -- same thing
kcom -- same thing again
azcom -- too new (sort of), issues with clinical rotations, don't like the desert

thoughts? am i shooting myself in the foot?

Members don't see this ad.

According to your mdapplicants page, I am certain that you can goto a school of your choice. I don't think not applying to those schools will hurt you in any way.

i dunno, azcom's match list has always looked pretty sweet to me. and the rotations will almost for sure be massively improved by the time your a 3rd year...but yes, the not liking the desert thing could be a deal breaker :)

Members don't see this ad :)
exlawgrrl said:
okay, based on personal issues like the fact that i'd like my husband to be able to accompany me wherever i go to school (and work!) and would like to go to an established school with several years of match lists, i'm thinking about dropping my application with the following schools. if you know of any amazing pros for the schools and think i'm being an idiot, please let me know.

pcsom -- too isolated
wvcom -- same thing
kcom -- same thing again
azcom -- too new (sort of), issues with clinical rotations, don't like the desert

AZCOM has recently negotiated clinical rotations at the local hospitals. Do your research on them unless there are other factors.

MoosePilot said:
AZCOM has recently negotiated clinical rotations at the local hospitals. Do your research on them unless there are other factors.

hmm, that's interesting. they're definitely the one i least want to ditch compared with other schools. though, i don't want to live in the phoenix area and would so much rather go to ccom. azcom's an easy application, though, because i just have to modify my ccom essay to make it fit azcom.

To address your concerns about VCOM. It is new, and hasn't graduated a class yet. Every year brings that closer. Conservative? That is a difficult topic, as you probably have seen discussed in other threads. I just hope that it doesn't get in the way of the education process and the cultural competence fo those people that don't have an open mind. And yes, it is a rural area compared to some places, but it is a college town (which equals about half of the population). It has just about everything I would look for in a place to live except for having Best Buy, Harris Teeter, or a Movie Theater with stadium seating.

VCOM does have a state of the art anatomy lab, and plenty of pros (their block schedule, some good professors - genetics, histology, anatomy, pathology, and pharmacology). And just like any other school it has its fair share of cons (conservative board of directors, school all year round, etc.)

exlawgrrl said:

pcsom -- too isolated
wvcom -- same thing
kcom -- same thing again

As dr.z mentioned, your stats are realllly good for osteopathic schools. The decision is up to you. It doesn't hurt your chance of acceptance one bit, imo.

FutureDocDO said:
As dr.z mentioned, your stats are realllly good for osteopathic schools. The decision is up to you. It doesn't hurt your chance of acceptance one bit, imo.

Don't ditch LECOM Bradenton. I really want to go there and your numbers are so darn high that if we both go there your numbers will pull the class average up. Then, when we graduate I can tell everyone I went to the best DO school and if they don't believe it to just look at the numbers of the average applicant accepted into my class! ;)

If I was you,

I would take all of them off.

From your MD profile, your numbers are great. Just make sure you LOR are good and you have a decent interview. You should be able to get into most of the allo and definitely the osteo schools.

Most likely.. my predictions is you will be in your state school.

good luck

I'm surprised you dont have TCOM on your list with your law background in Texas and the best tuition deal in the country for instate residents (and in some instances the out of state is cheaper than some instate tuition)?

tcom200901 said:
I'm surprised you dont have TCOM on your list with your law background in Texas and the best tuition deal in the country for instate residents (and in some instances the out of state is cheaper than some instate tuition)?

well, it was partially laziness because i didn't want to submit the separate texas application, and i'm not a texas resident and am not really from texas, so i thought that would be a knock against my application. also, my years in texas were pretty miserable, and i don't really want to live there again. it's probably an unfair bias, but it's there. tcom's an excellent school, so i know i'm probably being irrational.

exlawgrrl said:
hmm, that's interesting. they're definitely the one i least want to ditch compared with other schools. though, i don't want to live in the phoenix area and would so much rather go to ccom. azcom's an easy application, though, because i just have to modify my ccom essay to make it fit azcom.

CCOM is money.

Old Man Rich said:
Don't ditch LECOM Bradenton. I really want to go there and your numbers are so darn high that if we both go there your numbers will pull the class average up. Then, when we graduate I can tell everyone I went to the best DO school and if they don't believe it to just look at the numbers of the average applicant accepted into my class! ;)

why am i not surprised you'd say this? :)

docbill said:
Most likely.. my predictions is you will be in your state school.

good luck

I hope your predictions are accurate. :) I'm keeping UNECOM because the thought of going to school by the beach sounds awesome, and I figure if I like Oregon, I'll probably like Maine, too.

djnels01 said:
Why is that?

imo, ccom seems great because it's been around for a long time, is close to a major urban area and has excellent clinical rotations that don't require you to move. also, their match list is fantastic. bbake might have more insight than me, though. oh yeah, you also get early clinical exposure.