Help...Temple/BU input

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gogo

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If anyone has any feedback on either of these schools I am trying to weigh my options. I more than likely intend on practicing in Florida. I am a Florida resident and want to be prepared for the Florida boards, which to my understanding are the the 2nd hardest boards. I also enjoy the clinical excellence Temple offers and feel that the program will prepare me for the real world so to say. I believe they require 125 extractions, 5 endo, 7 perio, and you must actually sit 2 full sets of braces. I don't have the information on that for BU, but have e-mailed the administration to get an answer. I wonder how these schools score on their National boards as well. Boston is a great town. I love that they have a simulation learning center and believe that through APEX and the mentorship program I will get the adequate exposure. I went to BU's regional interview so I feel like I can't make a fair decision. Any Temple or BU students or grads please, please share. Or if anyone has any feedback! Thanks a mil! If you don't want to post it you can e-mail me. I appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know much about Temple, but I did go to the BU interview in Boston. BU is a great school, many of the students are from Cali and Fl. So I think that the material t you learn would allow you to score well on the FL tests. I would make my choice (in order of most important to least) on where I would be happiest, how the students felt about their school (ie did they seem stressed or comfortable?) living conditions and cost of the city, cost of the school, and also think about the reputation of the school. I know how you feel making this decision. It's hard to know where to go after such a short visit and in your case lack there of.
As far as my Boston U. experience goes, its in a great city, the students were really friendly. The faclities were great. And the facualty members were more than inviting. But, its very expensive, and housing is too. Other than that I dont see anything wrong with BU, infact it was my second favorite of all the schools I interviewed at. Best of luck.

This reminds me of the remark the sweedish project engineer made as his company was finishing and delivering a static var compensator to us. He pointed to two redundant temp guages on a section of the cooling apparatus and said "ja tue guages are vorse than von..yue dont know vich von ta believe". He got a good laugh from that line.

[This message has been edited by groundhog (edited 02-21-2001).]

Members don't see this ad :)
btw groundhog i loved you're (your, haha)edit on the cc thread! lol good one
smile.gif

Thanks DrDMD05.
I pulled it. Got to thinking that maybe it was a little over the edge since I come from the grandpa generation when our teachers rammed that stuff into our heads.

I'll never forget my experience in high school freshman English. We were all taking turns reading one paragaph at a time from "Great Expectations." Then came the turn for the BIG BRUTE of a kid in the class who probabally was old enough to be a senior. Well, he had lost his place. He was not causing trouble mind you, he had just lost his place. The teacher (a classic woman school marm type) walked up behind him and proceeded to cuff the you know what out of him. The kid didn't say boo. He sat right there, took the beating and just turned red in the face.

P.S. I understand that some dental school faculty can be tough on their students too. I also understand that a wise dental student will grin a bear the verbal beating if he or she happens to get on the bad side of such a faculty member.

[This message has been edited by groundhog (edited 02-22-2001).]

Hey Dr. DMD '05:

I hope you don't mind, but I am writing in regard to your response on dentalstudents.net and I thank you for responding. I am thinking of going to Boston this week to make my final decision. I still have a TUFTS interview and a few others pending, but my deadline on my other acceptances are about to cut off. I am curious, where did you decide to go? This is really a tough call at this point. I am going to have to go to BU and meet some of the students to make a good judgement. The people at Temple seemed thrilled! I was thrilled, but BU has always been my favorite and I have always wanted to go there and live in Boston (ever since HS).
In addition, the BU program seemed great and the staff I have met thus far are great warm and very helpful. I completely clicked with Dr. Shaw. She is a remarkable woman! I also loved how diverse Temple is, but it is in a bad neighborhood. Did you think BU had a lot of diversity? Someone said once that everyone is Asian or Indian? Is that true....seems odd to me?

Thanks again. gogo
p.s. that is a cute name..... Drdmd05.... congrats!!!!

Gogo,

Hey Dr. DMD '05:
I hope you don't mind, but I am writing in regard to your response on dentalstudents.net and I thank you for responding. I am thinking of going to Boston this week to make my final decision. I still have a TUFTS interview and a few others pending, but my deadline on my other acceptances are about to cut off. I am curious, where did you decide to go?

I decided to go with Tufts. Simple because I needed to live in Boston. I was also accepted to BU, but I feel Tufts is a better fit for me. BTW, Tufts? students have consistently achieved higher scores (as a class) on the NERB. Of course anyone can score high because it?s up to the individual, but I believe it says a lot of the school. Overall, both places have excellent facilities and great faculty members. I agree with you that Dr. Shaw (who interviewed me) is a warm and kind person. Basically choose the school you feel most at ?home? with. They will basically cost the same.

This is really a tough call at this point. I am going to have to go to BU and meet some of the students to make a good judgement. The people at Temple seemed thrilled! I was thrilled, but BU has always been my favorite and I have always wanted to go there and live in Boston (ever since HS). In addition, the BU program seemed great and the staff I have met thus far are great warm and very helpful. I completely clicked with Dr. Shaw. She is a remarkable woman!

I agree with you.

I also loved how diverse Temple is, but it is in a bad neighborhood. Did you think BU had a lot of diversity? Someone said once that everyone is Asian or Indian? Is that true....seems odd to me?

According the 2000-2001 Admission Requirements of United States and Canadian Dental Schools,

total m/f afram hisp asam
applicants 2661 1,655/1,004 54 104 1,131
matriculation 93 63/31 0 3 61

[This message has been edited by DrDMD05 (edited 02-28-2001).]

[This message has been edited by DrDMD05 (edited 03-01-2001).]