HELP!!!!-This has turned into a disaster

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoingUp

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am in some need of some advice......and just my luck, all the pre-med advisors are gone! I am currently a nursing student, actually in a nursing program....but medical school is my goal. Nursing won't be a career for me, only a stepping stone and back-up. Many of you might say, that was not wise....hind sight is 20-20 :). Here is my problem....I can't get all my pre-reqs done while in nursing school. The schedule of classes and clinicals really limits my time options.

Here is another problem....I've dropped my GPA down to a 2.78. Yes, I got a D last semester in nursing, which isn't passing. So, I have to repeat the semester. If I decide not to complete nursing, do you think I will have a big problem explaining myself to an admissions comittee as to why I didn't finish? Will this make me look bad??? Some aspects of nursing I enjoy, mainly the medical aspects, which there aren't a lot of. Nursing is a care-giving role....and although I can do it, it isn't something I really enjoy. I want to learn the medical side of everything, which is not what nurses do.

I am in some need of serious advice!!!! Thanks you guys!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

What was the course you got a D in? If you change from nursing to another major would you be happy in the field if you can't get into medical school? How many semesters do you have left before you can complete your nursing requirements?

I got a D in Adult nursing, 8 hours worth of D. I am very interested in engineering, but am very cautious of that seeing that I don't need any help lowering my GPA at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, and also....I have 3 semesters left of nursing school....finishing may 2010

Change your major and use an extra year to do your pre-reqs and major in something you like.

Don't do nursing unless you're planning to be a nurse for 10+ years.

Your grades are too low for MD, but maybe you could go to an osteopathic or carribean school. Your best bet would probably be to improve the GPA and try to become an NP- you'll get paid a lot more and be able to treat/prescribe.

Your grades are too low for MD, but maybe you could go to an osteopathic or carribean school. Your best bet would probably be to improve the GPA and try to become an NP- you'll get paid a lot more and be able to treat/prescribe.

What?

Granted, it'll take 109 hours of A's to bring up your gpa to 3.5, but you're probably going to need to retake some things- nursing science generally != BCMP. That said, you've got 45 hours left anyway to 120 hours figuring you've done 75 already (hai maths), so that's two extra years for the 64 remaining. And you can probably get away with 3.4 with a strong MCAT and ECs.

Yes, I've looked at the GPA calculators and 109 hours of A's is a lot....but, I've got to get my gpa up! Although I'd prefer MD school, I am not writing DO school off by any means.

So Jurassic- you think change my major and work on my GPA and pre-reqs?? My GPA isn't going to make me stand out because its high, but rather stand out because its low. I do have 1+ years of exposure to medical field (phlebotomy). Any other advice on anything else I can do to improve my chances???

So Jurassic- you think change my major and work on my GPA and pre-reqs?? My GPA isn't going to make me stand out because its high, but rather stand out because its low. I do have 1+ years of exposure to medical field (phlebotomy). Any other advice on anything else I can do to improve my chances???

If there's a particular humanities you like, or something, go for that.

You'll need volunteering, shadowing if possible.

Be able to articulate why medicine- and don't tell adcoms that nursing was a "stepping stone/back-up plan".

The way I figure it, you should have another niche besides medicine/health- find it. Go with it.

So, I think my best (and happiest) route to take is to change my major. Taking pre-reqs as well as EMT basic this semester is probably what I will do. EMT for a job as well as experience.

So, I think my best (and happiest) route to take is to change my major. Taking pre-reqs as well as EMT basic this semester is probably what I will do. EMT for a job as well as experience.
:thumbup:Best of luck.

Thank you...

I did forget to add that I do not have any pre-reqs so far....no chemistry that will count as a pre-req. So, there is still hope for my science gpa....I think???

Thank you...

I did forget to add that I do not have any pre-reqs so far....no chemistry that will count as a pre-req. So, there is still hope for my science gpa....I think???
Definitely a plus. :D