Help! This is going to be a headache.....anyone else in this situation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FredAstaire

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I went to a university in Canada for a while (I am an American though), and at that university all the labs are integrated into the course so it doesn't show separately on transcript. All courses are either 3 credit hours (1 semester) or 6 credit hours (2 semesters), and you cannot tell from the transcript which of those of courses has a lab component!

So, I would like to know

1) Is anyone else in a similiar situation? Is AMCAS going to convert some of my 3 credit courses with lab components into 4 credit hours?

**I called AMCAS several times, and they have given me conflicting answers**
Some say to put the credit hours exactly as how it appears on you transcript, while others say they may convert the 3 credit hour courses to 4 credit hours.

2) How will all the schools I will be applying to in the future know if I taken any lab component?

Thanks!

- Fred

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

I went to a university in Canada for a while (I am an American though), and at that university all the labs are integrated into the course so it doesn't show separately on transcript. All courses are either 3 credit hours (1 semester) or 6 credit hours (2 semesters), and you cannot tell from the transcript which of those of courses has a lab component!

So, I would like to know

1) Is anyone else in a similiar situation? Is AMCAS going to convert some of my 3 credit courses with lab components into 4 credit hours?

**I called AMCAS several times, and they have given me conflicting answers**
Some say to put the credit hours exactly as how it appears on you transcript, while others say they may convert the 3 credit hour courses to 4 credit hours.

2) How will all the schools I will be applying to in the future know if I taken any lab component?

Thanks!

- Fred

Enter the credit hours EXACTLY as they appear on your transcript, AMCAS will change them themselves. There is a button that says "lecture and lab". Click this one. Double-check with them to be sure. Several of my classes were on this integrated system. I wouldn't worry about it too much. My university did everything as one class = 1 credit, regardless of the class - AMCAS ended up verifying it as worth 3.5 (but let AMCAS make this decision).

Enter the credit hours EXACTLY as they appear on your transcript, AMCAS will change them themselves. There is a button that says "lecture and lab". Click this one.
Yes. Also, per the instructions, add "and Lab" to the course title.