Help to become a stronger applicant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

torshi

Squirrel
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 17 year old sophomore in college.
I was enrolled through dual-enrollment after my sophomore year in high school and been a full-time student since then.

GPA 4.0

Personally my EC's i think are weak due to how much i study, i know i have a while so i can eventually build up.
EC's
------
Volunteer in emergency department 100+ hours
Member of honor society Phi Theta Kappa
Captain of high school varsity wrestling team fresh/soph year before i left.
Trying to get involved with shadowing physicians: considering: anesthesia, plastic, orthopedic, etc
Health professions club member
Job: administrator assistant for construction company

I qualify for a scholarship to SMU, Texas Tech, UTD, UT Austin.
I'm most likely going to go to SMU or UT-Austin, which are pretty well-known in my opinion

Some other EC's i plan on getting involved in during my junior year are:
Persian society
health professions program
and hopefully have some research opportunities during my last couple years.

Advice or additional information to become a stronger applicant is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi torshi, you were nice enough to offer feedback on my thread so I thought I'd return the favor. :) If I were you I really wouldn't sweat it. Your EC's do not look weak to me, and your GPA is, well, perfect. It was a few years ago but I used to teach MCAT classes at a major test prep company (you've heard of it but I cannot say its name due to contract obligations). I knew a lot of their pre-med advisors and trust me, you're fine. Just keep doing what you're doing and study hard for the MCAT. If I were you the only question in my mind would be WashU or Hopkins. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
i dunno any more than you do really but when talking about things you plan to do jr year or 'your last 2 years' just keep in mind you'll be applying the summer after jr year. anything you want to boot up, try to do it maybe sometime this year so it will be longer running, start talking to those research labs you wanna nose into, etc.

------
Volunteer in emergency department 100+ hours
Member of honor society Phi Theta Kappa
Captain of high school varsity wrestling team fresh/soph year before i left.
Trying to get involved with shadowing physicians: considering: anesthesia, plastic, orthopedic, etc
Health professions club member
Job: administrator assistant for construction company

Some other EC's i plan on getting involved in during my junior year are:
Persian society
health professions program
and hopefully have some research opportunities during my last couple years.
Comments:

Clubs and societies don't help you get into med school if you don't use them as a springboard to leadership or community service, but they are a good source of socialization.

HS activities are generally not listed on a med school application, except for Eagle Scout. **Unless they continue into the college years. As a nonmedical community service, you might consider coaching/helping out back at your HS (if it's local), and if that's not possible, find an organization in the community that you care about and give it your time on a weekly basis (soup kitchen, Meals on Wheels, homeless shelter, food pantry, humane society, crisis hotline, Habitat for Humanity, etc).

Be sure you include a primary care doc among those you shadow.

After a year in the ER, you might consider transferring to another department to broaden your experience of different hospital departments.

Definitely try to get in a research experience. Peer leadership and teaching are also valuable and strengthen your application.