Sep 9, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hello Everyone,

I'm IMG (YOG-2009), STEP 1 - 201, CS - FIRST ATTEMPT, 2CK- 206 ( SO HAVE TO RETAKE AGAIN), GC holder, will be applying next match season now;
I have 2 years of Neurology research(but no publication), 5 mo. Psych Observership, 3 mo. IM Observership.
Which is less competitive between PSYCH or FM, so I will pick one and do some externship/research/publication in that field and have some USCE. So that I maximise my chances of getting matched next year.

Thanks, guys and good luck to everyone.

Rendar5

15+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2003
Florida
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
You should cancel this thread and ask on the general residency board. You're asking a question about FM and Psych on an EM board.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

TennisShoeChic

Yes, I do need that many cats
5+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2014
Probably Instagram
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I debated between psych and FM. Straight answer to your question is FM is less competitive.

I would strongly encourage you however to apply in he field you like best. People are MISERABLE in FM if you dont actually like it and it's your "backup"

I went with FM because I like adolescents and geriatrics and would not have seen as much of it in psych without further specializing. I also like being a jack of all trades- studying endocrine, psych, cards, etc instead of just psych.

If you'd rather see schizophrenia/chronic pain patients/depression/personality disorder people, go psych. If you want to see hypertension/dyslipidemia/odd rash/vaginal bleeding in the context of depression and anxiety, do FM

I found I saw enough psych to satisfy my interest in it. It was not "worth it" for me to narrow my focus and not get to practice the other stuff.

Reactions: 3 users
Sep 9, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I debated between psych and FM. Straight answer to your question is FM is less competitive.

I would strongly encourage you however to apply in he field you like best. People are MISERABLE in FM if you dont actually like it and it's your "backup"

I went with FM because I like adolescents and geriatrics and would not have seen as much of it in psych without further specializing. I also like being a jack of all trades- studying endocrine, psych, cards, etc instead of just psych.

If you'd rather see schizophrenia/chronic pain patients/depression/personality disorder people, go psych. If you want to see hypertension/dyslipidemia/odd rash/vaginal bleeding in the context of depression and anxiety, do FM

I found I saw enough psych to satisfy my interest in it. It was not "worth it" for me to narrow my focus and not get to practice the other stuff.
Thanks a lot.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.