Sep 9, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello Everyone,

I'm IMG (YOG-2009), STEP 1 - 201, CS - FIRST ATTEMPT, 2CK- 206 ( SO HAVE TO RETAKE AGAIN), GC holder, will be applying next match season now;
I have 2 years of Neurology research(but no publication), 5 mo. Psych Observership, 3 mo. IM Observership.
Which is less competitive between PSYCH or FM, so I will pick one and do some externship/research/publication in that field and have some USCE. So that I maximise my chances of getting matched next year.

Thanks, guys and good luck to everyone.

Rendar5

15+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2003
Florida
Status
Attending Physician
You should cancel this thread and ask on the general residency board. You're asking a question about FM and Psych on an EM board.

Reactions: BoardingDoc
About the Ads

Psai

This space for lease
Removed
5+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2014
ヽ(´ー`)ノ
Status
Resident [Any Field]
You should cancel this thread and ask on the general residency board. You're asking a question about FM and Psych on an EM board.
Seems like the thread in the right place tbh

J ROD

Watch my TAN walk!!
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2005
working on my tan......
Status
Resident [Any Field]
FM is less competitive overall. More programs and Psych is becoming more popular. But, graduating in 2009, failing a Step and low scores are not good. You are gonna need more than luck to match. Hope you know someone very important somewhere........via con dios

TennisShoeChic

Yes, I do need that many cats
2+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2014
Probably Instagram
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I debated between psych and FM. Straight answer to your question is FM is less competitive.

I would strongly encourage you however to apply in he field you like best. People are MISERABLE in FM if you dont actually like it and it's your "backup"

I went with FM because I like adolescents and geriatrics and would not have seen as much of it in psych without further specializing. I also like being a jack of all trades- studying endocrine, psych, cards, etc instead of just psych.

If you'd rather see schizophrenia/chronic pain patients/depression/personality disorder people, go psych. If you want to see hypertension/dyslipidemia/odd rash/vaginal bleeding in the context of depression and anxiety, do FM

I found I saw enough psych to satisfy my interest in it. It was not "worth it" for me to narrow my focus and not get to practice the other stuff.

OP
G
Sep 9, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I debated between psych and FM. Straight answer to your question is FM is less competitive.

I would strongly encourage you however to apply in he field you like best. People are MISERABLE in FM if you dont actually like it and it's your "backup"

I went with FM because I like adolescents and geriatrics and would not have seen as much of it in psych without further specializing. I also like being a jack of all trades- studying endocrine, psych, cards, etc instead of just psych.

If you'd rather see schizophrenia/chronic pain patients/depression/personality disorder people, go psych. If you want to see hypertension/dyslipidemia/odd rash/vaginal bleeding in the context of depression and anxiety, do FM

I found I saw enough psych to satisfy my interest in it. It was not "worth it" for me to narrow my focus and not get to practice the other stuff.
Thanks a lot.

About the Ads