Help to Raise My MCAT Score from Low 20s

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docgats

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all:

I know this topic has been beaten to a pulp on this forum but I need some individual advice. I'm a non-traditional student (mid-thirties) with a full time job that I cannot quit at the moment. I have taken the MCAT three times and have scored 15 (I did not study/practice enough), 21 and 20:( and after three retakes and a failed application cycle, one of the DO schools I applied to indicated that I need to raise my score to a 24 or above to be more competitive otherwise, they liked the rest of the application. My most recent breakdown was PS:8; VR: 5; BS: 7. I am also not originally from the US but I have been here for over 10 years, so I'm not sure if this is playing a role on my VR scores.

Prior to the last MCAT score, my practice tests were hovering around 25-27, with a 27 on AAMC 11 so I was confident that I would be okay on test day only to drop down one point to a 20. I recall getting very anxious as soon as I started the PS section and I do suffer from test anxiety (self-diagnosed).

I have used up all the TPR full length tests, BR 1-4 full lengths; EK Verbal 101; and all the AAMCs and practiced VR everyday but I guess none of that hard work paid off. I used TPR books for content review. I want to retake the test again since Medicine is what I want to do therefore I was thinking of taking a Kaplan class mainly for the structure and for their full lengths including their online resources. I took TPR Hyperlearning prior to my first MCAT which did not help because I was far removed from the material. I self-studied for the last two MCATs. I am very hardworking and determined so it's killing me not to be able to succeed in taking this exam. It's my biggest obstacle right now into fulfilling a lifelong dream.

Please provide constructive criticism that will be able to help someone else on this forum that is afraid to post similar shortcomings.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I would think a Kaplan course may do you good as the last two MCAT's you self-studied did not work well... but that means you need to go above and beyond from now. You cannot simply do the assigned homeworks and think that will be enough. I would do as much practice material as you possibly can.

Also you definitely need SAMOCONTENTREVIEW. this is apparent. so i would purchase TBR (berkeley review) books and go through them, along with examkrackers biology.
(This is supplemental to your Kaplan course)

If being a doctor is what you want, I would devote atleast 3-4 months prior to your exam with no other committments to get it right this time. Taking the MCAT 4 times is already a few too many, and you do not want to sit again.

gl

Hi all:

I know this topic has been beaten to a pulp on this forum but I need some individual advice. I'm a non-traditional student (mid-thirties) with a full time job that I cannot quit at the moment. I have taken the MCAT three times and have scored 15 (I did not study/practice enough), 21 and 20:( and after three retakes and a failed application cycle, one of the DO schools I applied to indicated that I need to raise my score to a 24 or above to be more competitive otherwise, they liked the rest of the application. My most recent breakdown was PS:8; VR: 5; BS: 7. I am also not originally from the US but I have been here for over 10 years, so I'm not sure if this is playing a role on my VR scores.

Prior to the last MCAT score, my practice tests were hovering around 25-27, with a 27 on AAMC 11 so I was confident that I would be okay on test day only to drop down one point to a 20. I recall getting very anxious as soon as I started the PS section and I do suffer from test anxiety (self-diagnosed).

I have used up all the TPR full length tests, BR 1-4 full lengths; EK Verbal 101; and all the AAMCs and practiced VR everyday but I guess none of that hard work paid off. I used TPR books for content review. I want to retake the test again since Medicine is what I want to do therefore I was thinking of taking a Kaplan class mainly for the structure and for their full lengths including their online resources. I took TPR Hyperlearning prior to my first MCAT which did not help because I was far removed from the material. I self-studied for the last two MCATs. I am very hardworking and determined so it's killing me not to be able to succeed in taking this exam. It's my biggest obstacle right now into fulfilling a lifelong dream.

Please provide constructive criticism that will be able to help someone else on this forum that is afraid to post similar shortcomings.

Thanks.

You are very deficient in VR.
Please, please, please, stop talking about Kaplan class for the moment.
Start a "determined", focus, self discipline program of reading --> economist, NY times, Atlanta etc. read, read read.
Re-initiate the Kaplan class say March or April of 2014 and take the MCAT late July.

Thank you athockey7 for your helpful comments. I agree with you about too many retakes therefore I will begin setting up a schedule that will help me improve on both content and test taking skills.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks MedOldAge for the advice especially on developing a self disciplined program of reading. That's definitely something I need to develop in order to nail the verbal, which is proving to be very difficult to improve, but, I am willing to put in the work:).

Hey I am a full timer and I must say that it is really tough to find the time and energy to get through this material and I really think it can bring your scores down due to other daily obligations. But it is possible...I know a doctor who took the MCAT 4 times and got into Medical school so do not give up hope!! For me verbal is definitely a hard section for me to improve in...But I noticed that if you really "focus" and not let other distractions cloud your mind it can really improve your score. Also making sure you take your time "not literally" but make sure you really understand the question that is being asked. I found for me at least that I misread the questions since Im nervous before I take the exam and it takes awhile before I can finally calm down and focus and take the exam. Also study the type of questions there are. I find that helpful in knowing how I should answer the question. Not sure if this is helpful but keep the positive attitude!

What's your verbal strategy? Do you find yourself running out of time?

Have you looked at SN2's guide?

Generally if you're scoring low 20's then content mastery is your problem. Get TBR, TPR, and Exam Krackers books. You're going to brute force read all of them. Dont do more than 1 chapter a day or you wont remember anything, do the problems in the TBR books. When you're done with content review which should take like a month or 2, buy the EK 1001 books , Do 100 questions from 2 subjects a day and review what you got wrong. If you're missing more than 25-35% of the problems reread the chapter again and write down what you missed in a notebook. This should take about 3 weeks. Then buy TPR science workbook and do the 20 passages or so a day, there should be a bout 400 passages in TPR so thatll take another 3 weeks. 3-4 months of studying overall, you should be doing really well on your mcat if you do all of this.

Doing those full lenght practice tests wont help at all if you havnt had the content down, the practice tests are suppose to gauge your weak subjects AFTER you've learned them so you can go back and fill in the patches.

Thanks faith hopelove, your words are certainly encouraging and helpful as I try to figure out my next steps. I need to learn how to focus as you say and not let distractions overwhelm me especially during Verbal because that is where my mind often wanders away to life's issues. Needless to say, I'm not yet ready to give up the fight! Thanks again!!!

Great advice testt, this is very helpful. I plan on purchasing the latest TBR books since I have the 2010 editions and I do believe they have changed them quite a bit. As far as my VR, I do run out of time and I got to the point where I would finish 6 passages with the last one in less than 2 minutes and then guess on the 7th. The strategy I used was ranking at first but that did not serve me well because it's like rolling a dice so I moved to previewing the questions before going to the passage but by the time I got to reading it, I had forgotten what they were all about. I also used to do 3 VR passages a day. Eventually, I just ended up reading all the passages systematically and finishing what I was able to finish. As of now, I have no strategy. I have looked at SN2's guide but felt like it was for those who do not work full time, however, at this point, I am willing to look at it and tailor it to my schedule. It seems to have generated a lot of success stories on this forum. Thanks again for your input and awesome advice.