Help! Traffic Rule Question re: April 30

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

proudofmykids

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Help please! (@gonnif @Goro @LizzyM )

It is my understanding that a student must only have one PTE by the end of April 30 according to AMCAS traffic rules 5 and 7 to prevent rescinding of an offer. ( Rules ) Specifically, rule 5 indicates a two week allowance to decide on an Acceptance offer arriving prior to April 30.

To explain and clarify the exact situation for the questions...
There were two schools providing an Acceptance offer since mid March that were accepted by the student. Up until yesterday, School A was the decided preferred PTE until school B came along April 27 with a merit aid offer. Student doesn’t yet know their final decision as merit aid from school B might still increase further. There is ongoing dialog with school B.

1. How should the student handle AMCAS so that school A (currently shown as PTE) does not rescind as student try’s to decide and this keeps acceptance (doesn’t withdraw) from school B ?

2. Is student entitled two weeks before having to withdraw school B newly enhanced acceptance without worry that school A PTE rescinds? IOW, Is AMCAS made aware of the updated acceptance date so that deadline allowance is made and managed by their system?

3. What is the exact correct way for the student to handle the April 30 single-PTE single-Acceptance deadline requiring only one Acceptance with PTE as student currently lea IMG toward school A as PTE? (while waiting for school B to get back with updates?)

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Just communicate with both schools. At the end of the day, the schools decide to who to accept and not to accept. As long as you’re communicating with both schools and they’ve agreed to extending their deadline and are fully aware of your situation, you are fine. I don’t think AMCAS rescinds your acceptance if you haven’t withdrawn all your acceptances. The schools do that. So as long as they’re aware of your situation, you are fine. If they’re not aware or not okay with extending the deadline, then you should make the hard choice and withdraw from one of the schools.

Edit: my source:https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...mcas-choose-your-medical-school-one-pager.pdf

It is stated numerous times the decisions at the end of the day are made by the schools. One example:

Become familiar with the Application and Acceptance Protocols for Applicants, which are the guiding principles for professional behavior during the medical school application process. These guidelines are not intended to supersede the policies, timelines, or discretion of individual schools or programs. However, they do provide a sense of professionalism that the medical schools are looking for from applicants

Reactions: 1 user
Help please! (@gonnif @Goro @LizzyM )

It is my understanding that a student must only have one PTE by the end of April 30 according to AMCAS traffic rules 5 and 7 to prevent rescinding of an offer. ( Rules ) Specifically, rule 5 indicates a two week allowance to decide on an Acceptance offer arriving prior to April 30.

To explain and clarify the exact situation for the questions...
There were two schools providing an Acceptance offer since mid March that were accepted by the student. Up until yesterday, School A was the decided preferred PTE until school B came along April 27 with a merit aid offer. Student doesn’t yet know their final decision as merit aid from school B might still increase further. There is ongoing dialog with school B.

1. How should the student handle AMCAS so that school A (currently shown as PTE) does not rescind as student try’s to decide and this keeps acceptance (doesn’t withdraw) from school B ?

2. Is student entitled two weeks before having to withdraw school B newly enhanced acceptance without worry that school A PTE rescinds? IOW, Is AMCAS made aware of the updated acceptance date so that deadline allowance is made and managed by their system?

3. What is the exact correct way for the student to handle the April 30 single-PTE single-Acceptance deadline requiring only one Acceptance with PTE as student currently lea IMG toward school A as PTE? (while waiting for school B to get back with updates?)

Thank you in advance.
I defer to the always sage gonnif

Members don't see this ad :)
Let me give you the answer before I explain. You have had acceptances since mid march. You have had more than 2 weeks. The rule is about acceptance not financial aid off any kind. You have no right or expectation of this info prior to PTE. Not making the decision risks losing both acceptance. You have been warned.

They arent rules, they are guidelines. AMCAS has no enforcement power over them. Rules are set by each school individually

There is absolutely no requirement by AMCAS, AAMC,or LCME, that a school provide any financial aid information prior to an acceptee is required to PTE (or CTE for that matter). There is certainly no requirement or expectation that one school needs to wait for another school while an acceptee makes a decision

What the student should do is have their decision already made with the information they have at hand, incomplete it may be.

AMCAS has nothing to do with it, solely up to how the schools make their decisions.

You present a circumstance that exists only in your desire.

You would need express written (and I emphasis written) permission from BOTH schools to allow you this. And there is NO requirement that a school give you any. With the craziness of this year, expectation or hope of getting an email response in time is really a risk. If you have both acceptance on May 1st, both schools could rescind you. We do not know what time any school may run an automatic acceptance report. We do not know if the school has set up their system to automatically rescind if an acceptee violates predetermined deadlines. Sounds far fetch. I had a student contact me last year who this happen to. I do know that AMCAS only updates acceptance reports once a day so both schools could you see you as accepted and both could rescind. As I tell all acceptees dont screw around with these dates and no one should be waiting for the last minute
I agree with @gonnif here. You have been agonizing over this thing for weeks and making all kinds of posts about it. It's not Let's Make A Deal.
Rip off the bandage and choose one!

Reactions: 3 users
Let me give you the answer before I explain. You have had acceptances since mid march. You have had more than 2 weeks. The rule is about acceptance not financial aid off any kind. You have no right or expectation of this info prior to PTE. Not making the decision risks losing both acceptance. You have been warned.

They arent rules, they are guidelines. AMCAS has no enforcement power over them. Rules are set by each school individually

There is absolutely no requirement by AMCAS, AAMC,or LCME, that a school provide any financial aid information prior to an acceptee is required to PTE (or CTE for that matter). There is certainly no requirement or expectation that one school needs to wait for another school while an acceptee makes a decision

What the student should do is have their decision already made with the information they have at hand, incomplete it may be.

AMCAS has nothing to do with it, solely up to how the schools make their decisions.

You present a circumstance that exists only in your desire.

You would need express written (and I emphasis written) permission from BOTH schools to allow you this. And there is NO requirement that a school give you any. With the craziness of this year, expectation or hope of getting an email response in time is really a risk. If you have both acceptance on May 1st, both schools could rescind you. We do not know what time any school may run an automatic acceptance report. We do not know if the school has set up their system to automatically rescind if an acceptee violates predetermined deadlines. Sounds far fetch. I had a student contact me last year who this happen to. I do know that AMCAS only updates acceptance reports once a day so both schools could you see you as accepted and both could rescind. As I tell all acceptees dont screw around with these dates and no one should be waiting for the last minute
Truly decision was made for school A until yesterday.
I have heard the warning and now better understand it is the individual school.
Surprisingly, both schools have been tremendously responsive (typically same day). Should school A be chosen and school B acceptance withdrawn to prevent risk of rescinding, could school B come back and make a re-offer next week would student be allowed to Accept and withdraw from school A this changing PTE? Student is in direct communication with the Dean of CoM at school B who said stay tuned.

I withdrew from school A via their portal around April 5 and PTE to school B on that same day. However school A still shows as an option to switch my PTE to (they seemingly have not reported my withdrawal to AMCAS). Should I just send a note to my PTE school and let them know I withdrew from the other school ?
EDIT: never mind it just disappeared overnight!

Last edited:
Truly decision was made for school A until yesterday.
I have heard the warning and now better understand it is the individual school.
Surprisingly, both schools have been tremendously responsive (typically same day). Should school A be chosen and school B acceptance withdrawn to prevent risk of rescinding, could school B come back and make a re-offer next week would student be allowed to Accept and withdraw from school A this changing PTE? Student is in direct communication with the Dean of CoM at school B who said stay tuned.

No. If you withdraw your acceptance, you are done at that school (unless the school wants to risk accreditation by lying and saying they never got the word you were withdrawing). Only exception to this might be an acceptance in error (Looking at you Mayo), where the school may allow a withdrawn acceptance back or some other freak occurrence.

Theoretically a school could with withdraw and re-offer, though under usual circumstances that wouldnt happen. They would normally just go to the next on the WL. So the current situation is solely up to you and the dean
thank you. This will be part of my kid's phone call tomorrow with Dean from School B, as school A still looking more favorable without more from school B.

• Wow
Let me warn you that one of the students who lost an acceptance was over this kind of situation. He got an extension which the deadline for was over a weekend. He figured he could call the office on Monday but was shocked to see a letter that rescinded him on Sunday. The school's online system had the cutoff date entered and he was cutoff like that. So be careful
I think it unlikely both schools would provide an extension, thus more likely to pursue school B withdraw/re-offer to give them extra couple of days to see if funds free up.

Last edited:
  • Hmm
@PapayaJambalaya you seem to have an opinion here. Do you not feel this approach is warrented when talking about an additional >$100,000 that seems potentially achievable? Assuming there is one acceptance and one PTE by end of April 30, what can be lost by trying to gain the additional scholarship.

what can be lost by trying to gain the additional scholarship
Acceptances can be rescinded if you don't follow the traffic rules. I'm not sure what you mean by withdrawing and then getting a re-offer.

Reactions: 2 users
Acceptances can be rescinded if you don't follow the traffic rules. I'm not sure what you mean by withdrawing and then getting a re-offer.
It is my understanding from Gonnif's comment that a school could do this so they can get back to you, without jeopardizing your PTE at another school you currently prefer.

• Wow
So if I PTE at 1 school but don't withdraw the other acceptance, will that lead to a possible rescinding of both acceptances? I am still trying to gauge financial aid and aid from the schools but this deadline is complicating this.

So if I PTE at 1 school but don't withdraw the other acceptance, will that lead to a possible rescinding of both acceptances? I am still trying to gauge financial aid and aid from the schools but this deadline is complicating this.
Not necessarily- but possible. If you need more time, the safe bet is to email both schools.

any updates? if you have confirmation from schools you have more time, they wont withdraw you and nothing bad will happen tomm if you do not use the tool via amcas or another school? what exactly can schools see tomm?
They can see if you selected PTE at their school, and if you selected PTE at another (non-specific school). They won't have more information beyond that, but if you're not following their rules/they see you PTE at another school, they could just withdraw their acceptance.