Help trying to work on an MCAT study plan - overwhelmed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whyjudywhy

Reaction score
Hello, to make a long story short, I am planning on taking the MCAT next summer and I need some advice on how to go about studying. There are just so many guides that it's really hard to figure out what to do/what materials to use.

At this point I think my biggest concern is content review. I recently took/retook orgo so I feel fairly fresh on that. I was a psych major so I have a lot of background there (will do soc in the fall) and I took a bunch of bio classes so I at least have some background there. My biggest concern is c/p because I do not for the life of me remember much from those classes.

Another consideration is that I know my studying style well enough to know that reading from a book is the worst way for me to learn. I do a lot better with videos/lectures.

This is kind of a rough idea of what I'm thinking about doing and I'd greatly appreciate any advice:

Summer '21 -> taking 3 classes, but I think I could at least start to get my feet wet. My idea is to go through Chad's videos and/or Khan Academy
Fall '21 -> I'll be taking soc and retaking biochem I. I was thinking this is when I could really seriously start studying. I think I could finish working on videos and start working on Anki. What/how should I be focusing my time here?
Spring '22 -> Continue studying/reviewing. Work on practice problems and practice exams
Summer '22-> Try to take MCAT early/mid summer so I have time in late summer/early fall if I need a retake (won't be applying then but I can't do it mid/late fall for personal reason).

Members don't see this ad.

When are you applying to med school? I highly recommend taking Biochemistry first and then start MCAT prep because it's embedded in every section, except CARS. Your plan also seems very stretched out. I studied for only 5 months after I took all my pre-reqs, while attending school full-time.

I don't know how dedicated you will stick to your study plan, but I can help you devise a 5-month study plan, where you start studying on spring 2022 AFTER you take biochemistry and take the MCAT on May/June. Just DM me, if interested.

Reactions: 1 user
When are you applying to med school? I highly recommend taking Biochemistry first and then start MCAT prep because it's embedded in every section, except CARS. Your plan also seems very stretched out. I studied for only 5 months after I took all my pre-reqs, while attending school full-time.

I don't know how dedicated you will stick to your study plan, but I can help you devise a 5-month study plan, where you start studying on spring 2022 AFTER you take biochemistry and take the MCAT on May/June. Just DM me, if interested.
I think I'd be applying the '23-'24 cycle. I would be retaking biochem, but I see your point.