help! UIC or MSU?! which to choose?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweetpea MD

nap time!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I'm fortunate enough to have to choose between two great schools: University of Illinois at Chicago, and Michigan State. I would love your input on the schools as I'm having a hard time choosing!

Thanks!

Oh, I should add that I'm NOT in-state for either but have been offered in-state tuition at UIC and I'm marrying a Mighican resident so i'll get in-state tuition at MSU. Hence tuition can't be the deciding factor!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,
I'm fortunate enough to have to choose between two great schools: University of Illinois at Chicago, and Michigan State. I would love your input on the schools as I'm having a hard time choosing!

Thanks!

UIC, for me personally.

Are you in state for UIC? I know that one is RIDICULOUS for OOS tuition. And also, are you in the Chicago campus at UIC?

Those play big factors.

Without knowing anything, I would pick UIC.

Members don't see this ad :)
in-state + chicago placement = UIC

OOS at MSU is INSANE as well. Go where ever you're in-state.

I just edited my original post but I'll add it here too:

I'm NOT in-state for either but have been offered in-state tuition at UIC and I'm marrying a Mighican resident so i'll get in-state tuition at MSU. Hence tuition can't be the deciding factor!

Stressful!!! I liked both schools!

Hey everyone,

Thanks!

I think UIC offers the great clinical opportunities as it is in the Chicago Medical District. But as an OOS school UIC is expensive. If you are Illinois resident or cost is not a big factor for you, I would pick UIC without a question.

I'm NOT in-state for either but have been offered in-state tuition at UIC and I'm marrying a Mighican resident so i'll get in-state tuition at MSU. Hence tuition can't be the deciding factor!

In this case I would pick UIC then, especially if you're in Chicago.

if you're in Chicago, UIC, hands down.

Yeah, if placed in Chicago it seems obvious. I just got my acceptance email from UIC so I don't know about which campus I am placed at yet. I assume they'll tell me in my acceptance letter that comes in the mail? For those of you who are going to UIC, how soon after your acceptance did they tell you about your campus? Wait, come to think of it, did we fill out our preferences at interview day? I don't even remember :(

I got placed at Urbana - Peoria, so I'm probably withdrawing.

thanks.

By the way, big props.

You're doing awesome this cycle.
No problemo.

Thanks! With my recent engagement, I've found I really want to stay local so now I'm just :xf: (and writing letters like mad) for Pritzker. You've had some killer interviews as well!

Yeah, if placed in Chicago it seems obvious. I just got my acceptance email from UIC so I don't know about which campus I am placed at yet. I assume they'll tell me in my acceptance letter that comes in the mail? For those of you who are going to UIC, how soon after your acceptance did they tell you about your campus? Wait, come to think of it, did we fill out our preferences at interview day? I don't even remember :(

With your acceptance package they send you small card you have to fill out telling them what campus you prefer. They will let know within about 7-10 days after you return the card.

Last edited:
No problemo.

Thanks! With my recent engagement, I've found I really want to stay local so now I'm just :xf: (and writing letters like mad) for Pritzker. You've had some killer interviews as well!

Yeah, I really wonder how much these LOI help though. I've written like 4 for Sinai and 2 for Duke already.

I wonder if they are even read, honestly.

Congrats on two acceptances. Surely your S.O. will have some input on where it will be easier to find a job and how much of a problem it will be if you have to move again after the first year. With UIllinois, after the first year is spent in Chicago or Urbana, those in Urbana may stay there (mostly MD/PhD or JD or MPH or MS track) or be assigned to Peoria or Rockford. I don't know if UMichigan has more than one campus, or not. What are your SO's thoughts?

thanks for all the advice, guys!
i think you're right though, i can't make a decision before finding out what campus i get placed in. i hope they still have chicago spots....

Hi Sweetpea MD,

I hope you don't mind me asking. How did you get offered an in-state tuition without being an in-state resident. I am considering UIC but the out of state tuition is a little high for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.