Help!! under 3.0 GPA is NYU Possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surgeon

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am applying for dental school this summer and my gpa is suffering at 2.9 but I have a DAT score of 19, is a dental school like NYU or Jersey possible? Please Help!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, also helps if you have an upward trend. Apply to Boston too.

Yes NYU is definitely possible......especially if you apply early summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
just having a gpa slightly under 3 doesn't mean you are a bad applicant. just do a search for "under 3 club" in this forum.

2.9 GPA and 19 DAT is not going to get you in anywhere. I know a number of people with similar stats and never received an interview. I never like to tell people my actual GPA calculated by AADSAS because I knew I was better student then that. My actual AADSAS GPA is 2.7, but I had a 21 DAT AA and 24 TS. Also, my GPA was weighted down by my first year in college. My most resent achievement was much better. The thing that is most troubling about your stats is that both DAT and GPA are not impressive. Thus, adcoms may not even both to look deeper into you application to find an improving academic success. There is a topic on this forum called the secrete formula with only takes into consideration DAT and GPA for the initial selection. I think applicants must pass this stage before adcoms even view you application.

I seriously advise to you to re-take the DAT. Spend all summer to study if you have to; I took mine in Oct 1. I think it is better for you to apply late with an kick a$$ DAT then to apply early with below avg stats. It is not as imperative to apply in early June as every one stresses. I applied in mid September and was accepted in mid Dec. Also apply to many school (15+); do not expect NYU of BU to accept because they have the lowest admissions stats.

According to this website the NYU class entering 2002 had a mean GPA of 3.15. If you assume a std dev of .20 (probably higher?) and a normal distribution, then 21% of the entering class was sub 3.00. :clap:

However, I'm sure DAT scores make a big difference here...or credit rating? 75k/year. :eek: !!

surgeon said:
Hi, I am applying for dental school this summer and my gpa is suffering at 2.9 but I have a DAT score of 19, is a dental school like NYU or Jersey possible? Please Help!!!!

Since your location says NY, your chances of getting into UMDNJ (New Jersey's dental school) is poor. They give priority to NJ residents first, and the out-of-staters they accept have higher stats.

You should have a shot at NYU though if you apply early enough.

HTH.

UBTom said:
Since your location says NY, your chances of getting into UMDNJ (New Jersey's dental school) is poor. They give priority to NJ residents first, and the out-of-staters they accept have higher stats.

HTH.

When I interview at UMDNJ(dec.2003) they said they changed thier policy. They don't give NJ resident priority anymore.

Hey surgeon I hope this help
have a 3.2 GPA and 18 on the DATs
Applied in october to six school.
got 4 interview. --- umdnj NYU BU and buffalo

went to UMDNJ and NYU
Cancelled the other 2 cuz don't wanna move out of NYC
u can see that i don't have stellar grades!!!!!!!!!!!
therefore don't let any one get u down u will be OK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
just work hard ;)
i'll be attending NYU in the fall and can't wait

Impmail101 said:
When I interview at UMDNJ(dec.2003) they said they changed thier policy. They don't give NJ resident priority anymore.

went to UMDNJ and NYU
just work hard ;)

Thank You for the advice I really apperciat it

Thaxil said:
2.9 GPA and 19 DAT is not going to get you in anywhere. I know a number of people with similar stats and never received an interview. I never like to tell people my actual GPA calculated by AADSAS because I knew I was better student then that. My actual AADSAS GPA is 2.7, but I had a 21 DAT AA and 24 TS. Also, my GPA was weighted down by my first year in college. My most resent achievement was much better. The thing that is most troubling about your stats is that both DAT and GPA are not impressive. Thus, adcoms may not even both to look deeper into you application to find an improving academic success. There is a topic on this forum called the secrete formula with only takes into consideration DAT and GPA for the initial selection. I think applicants must pass this stage before adcoms even view you application.

I seriously advise to you to re-take the DAT. Spend all summer to study if you have to; I took mine in Oct 1. I think it is better for you to apply late with an kick a$$ DAT then to apply early with below avg stats. It is not as imperative to apply in early June as every one stresses. I applied in mid September and was accepted in mid Dec. Also apply to many school (15+); do not expect NYU of BU to accept because they have the lowest admissions stats.

I mean you advice is great but, i dont think my gpa is that bad i heard applicant get in with 2.8 gpa. Taking the DAT over is too much work and stress i'm sure it wont be that bad 19 is pretty compettive

UBTom said:

HTH.
Ye I heard that too well i'll have to apply for way more schools thanks for the advice

BiOGoly said:
According to this website the NYU class entering 2002 had a mean GPA of 3.15. If you assume a std dev of .20 (probably higher?) and a normal distribution, then 21% of the entering class was sub 3.00. :clap:

However, I'm sure DAT scores make a big difference here...or credit rating? 75k/year. :eek: !!

This is exactly what I was thinking that a good percentage had to be under 3.0. The money doesn't bother me that much I have collateral to back me up.

Impmail101 said:

went to UMDNJ and NYU
just work hard ;)
Thanks for the inspiration

Members don't see this ad :)
PERFECT3435 said:
just having a gpa slightly under 3 doesn't mean you are a bad applicant. just do a search for "under 3 club" in this forum.

Thanks for the support

BiOGoly said:

:eek: 75 a year?!?! damn, remind me not to apply to NYU.

busupshot83 said:
:eek: 75 a year?!?! damn, remind me not to apply to NYU.

That's why NYU is at the bottom of many applicants' list. TOO EXPENSIVE. :confused: :confused: :confused:

NYU is expensive but 75k is to room and board and 55 just to attend I guess 55 is not that bad

I dont think a 2.9 and 19 on the DAT will get you in anywhere. If you are to have lower than a 3.0 or B average, I would say getting above a 20 would definitely make up for your lower gpa.

I don't know......Sometimes you hear of people getting in dental school, and they really don't have the stats. It just makes you wonder.

SloppyJoe said:
I don't know......Sometimes you hear of people getting in dental school, and they really don't have the stats. It just makes you wonder.

Well seriously, I tend not to make judgement on someone based on their undergradate stats. You, nor I, know them, or what they've been through. The more power to them if they make it. :thumbup:

Hey Surgeon,

Don't ever let yourself down ..GPA is not the only thing that matters..but do be realistic and apply to dental schools with lower GPA requirements....As far as I know your DAT score is really good unless you personally are not satisfied with it ....go ahead....never lose confidence :)

Hey Surgeon,

Don't ever let yourself down ..GPA is not the only thing that matters..but do be realistic and apply to dental schools with lower GPA requirements....As far as I know your DAT score is really good unless you personally are not satisfied with it ....go ahead....never lose confidence :)

This thread has been over 6 years old. How did you manage to pull it up and offer an insensible advice here?:confused:

I don't know how much this will help, but I've talked to admissions at some schools, and what they said....
- Having a low GPA and/or DAT score is obviously not going to help, but that doesn't mean your chances of getting in are impossible.
- They look at the overall/big picture. (i.e. your extracurriculars, possibly an upward trend in your academics, etc.)
- It's more of how you can contribute to the class. They like diversity.

I'd say if you have a strong application (i.e. personal statement, recommendations, extracurriculars, etc.) without the numbers, go for it.

Hey Surgeon,

I believe that Surgeon already graduated from DS and already a dentist who is thinking about when to retire instead of when to get into another dental school to repeat the curriculum :laugh:

I would love to see surgeon come back and respond with an update. :laugh:

Reading this thread really makes me wish I had a time machine.

The requirements really shot up these last 5 years haven't they.

I believe that Surgeon already graduated from DS and already a dentist who is thinking about when to retire instead of when to get into another dental school to repeat the curriculum :laugh:

I know lol..I saw the year when I made that post...I still wanted to comment to encourage people :)

NYU is expensive but 75k is to room and board and 55 just to attend I guess 55 is not that bad

nyu is 64/year w/o room and board. yes, its ridiculous. room and board will run you an extra 25 or something(not sure)

haha i was so stoked as i was reading this thread....and then i saw the '6-years ago' comment.
fml

nyu is 64/year w/o room and board. yes, its ridiculous. room and board will run you an extra 25 or something(not sure)

yea its freakin crazy. nyu and bu are right around 65k per year JUST on school expensives alone (tuition + books/fees), then you gotta figure in another 20-30k for living expenses. USC if I remember correctly was 75k a year tuition ALONE.

~350k in loans at 6-8% interest... i dont understand how those kids do it. interest alone on a 10 year payment plan is closing in on 30,000 a year...

guys,

most of you are quoting stats from years ago. I called around to a few schools this year, their stats due to competition have jumped, on average, .2 gpa and 1 dat point (from our last excel spreadsheet of stats here on sdn). i called three schools, nova, nyu, and UT. UT declined to comment (whatchu want our stats fo, why do you want them?.) stay classy UT.

its gotten much more competitive guys.

also guys,

to everyone who is saying nyu is too expensive.

if an expensive school is the only place you get accepted, its more than worth it. the amount of money youll make in dentistry compared to what else you would do is more than enough to make your payments. unless your alternative is wall street or something you know youre going to bank at.

if you have any doubt about getting in this cycle, apply to the expensive schools. and then thank god if you get in.

He never got in and ended up applying to PA school

im in the sub 3.0 club with a dat of 20, and still no interviews :(((((((((((((((, but I did submit my app like in october though