Help!! under 3.0 GPA is NYU Possible?

surgeon

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2004
73
0
NY
  1. Resident [Any Field]
    Hi, I am applying for dental school this summer and my gpa is suffering at 2.9 but I have a DAT score of 19, is a dental school like NYU or Jersey possible? Please Help!!!!
     
    About the Ads

    Thaxil

    Senior Member
    7+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Oct 5, 2003
    547
    1
    43
    myrtle Beach, SC
    1. Dentist
      2.9 GPA and 19 DAT is not going to get you in anywhere. I know a number of people with similar stats and never received an interview. I never like to tell people my actual GPA calculated by AADSAS because I knew I was better student then that. My actual AADSAS GPA is 2.7, but I had a 21 DAT AA and 24 TS. Also, my GPA was weighted down by my first year in college. My most resent achievement was much better. The thing that is most troubling about your stats is that both DAT and GPA are not impressive. Thus, adcoms may not even both to look deeper into you application to find an improving academic success. There is a topic on this forum called the secrete formula with only takes into consideration DAT and GPA for the initial selection. I think applicants must pass this stage before adcoms even view you application.

      I seriously advise to you to re-take the DAT. Spend all summer to study if you have to; I took mine in Oct 1. I think it is better for you to apply late with an kick a$$ DAT then to apply early with below avg stats. It is not as imperative to apply in early June as every one stresses. I applied in mid September and was accepted in mid Dec. Also apply to many school (15+); do not expect NYU of BU to accept because they have the lowest admissions stats.
       

      BiOGoly

      PharmD, BCGP
      15+ Year Member
      Jun 12, 2003
      263
      3
      Portland Oregon
      1. Pharmacist
        According to this website the NYU class entering 2002 had a mean GPA of 3.15. If you assume a std dev of .20 (probably higher?) and a normal distribution, then 21% of the entering class was sub 3.00. :clap:

        However, I'm sure DAT scores make a big difference here...or credit rating? 75k/year. :eek: !!
         

        UBTom

        Class '04 official geezer
        10+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        Jul 24, 2002
        1,459
        4
        Queens, NY
        www.iloveny.com
          surgeon said:
          Hi, I am applying for dental school this summer and my gpa is suffering at 2.9 but I have a DAT score of 19, is a dental school like NYU or Jersey possible? Please Help!!!!

          Since your location says NY, your chances of getting into UMDNJ (New Jersey's dental school) is poor. They give priority to NJ residents first, and the out-of-staters they accept have higher stats.

          You should have a shot at NYU though if you apply early enough.

          HTH.
           

          Impmail101

          Member
          7+ Year Member
          15+ Year Member
          Jan 21, 2004
          48
          0
            UBTom said:
            Since your location says NY, your chances of getting into UMDNJ (New Jersey's dental school) is poor. They give priority to NJ residents first, and the out-of-staters they accept have higher stats.

            You should have a shot at NYU though if you apply early enough.

            HTH.

            When I interview at UMDNJ(dec.2003) they said they changed thier policy. They don't give NJ resident priority anymore.

            Hey surgeon I hope this help
            have a 3.2 GPA and 18 on the DATs
            Applied in october to six school.
            got 4 interview. --- umdnj NYU BU and buffalo

            went to UMDNJ and NYU
            Cancelled the other 2 cuz don't wanna move out of NYC
            u can see that i don't have stellar grades!!!!!!!!!!!
            therefore don't let any one get u down u will be OK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            just work hard ;)
            i'll be attending NYU in the fall and can't wait
             

            surgeon

            Member
            7+ Year Member
            15+ Year Member
            Apr 9, 2004
            73
            0
            NY
            1. Resident [Any Field]
              Impmail101 said:
              When I interview at UMDNJ(dec.2003) they said they changed thier policy. They don't give NJ resident priority anymore.

              Hey surgeon I hope this help
              have a 3.2 GPA and 18 on the DATs
              Applied in october to six school.
              got 4 interview. --- umdnj NYU BU and buffalo

              went to UMDNJ and NYU
              Cancelled the other 2 cuz don't wanna move out of NYC
              u can see that i don't have stellar grades!!!!!!!!!!!
              therefore don't let any one get u down u will be OK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              just work hard ;)
              i'll be attending NYU in the fall and can't wait

              Thank You for the advice I really apperciat it
               

              surgeon

              Member
              7+ Year Member
              15+ Year Member
              Apr 9, 2004
              73
              0
              NY
              1. Resident [Any Field]
                Thaxil said:
                2.9 GPA and 19 DAT is not going to get you in anywhere. I know a number of people with similar stats and never received an interview. I never like to tell people my actual GPA calculated by AADSAS because I knew I was better student then that. My actual AADSAS GPA is 2.7, but I had a 21 DAT AA and 24 TS. Also, my GPA was weighted down by my first year in college. My most resent achievement was much better. The thing that is most troubling about your stats is that both DAT and GPA are not impressive. Thus, adcoms may not even both to look deeper into you application to find an improving academic success. There is a topic on this forum called the secrete formula with only takes into consideration DAT and GPA for the initial selection. I think applicants must pass this stage before adcoms even view you application.

                I seriously advise to you to re-take the DAT. Spend all summer to study if you have to; I took mine in Oct 1. I think it is better for you to apply late with an kick a$$ DAT then to apply early with below avg stats. It is not as imperative to apply in early June as every one stresses. I applied in mid September and was accepted in mid Dec. Also apply to many school (15+); do not expect NYU of BU to accept because they have the lowest admissions stats.

                I mean you advice is great but, i dont think my gpa is that bad i heard applicant get in with 2.8 gpa. Taking the DAT over is too much work and stress i'm sure it wont be that bad 19 is pretty compettive
                 

                surgeon

                Member
                7+ Year Member
                15+ Year Member
                Apr 9, 2004
                73
                0
                NY
                1. Resident [Any Field]
                  UBTom said:
                  Since your location says NY, your chances of getting into UMDNJ (New Jersey's dental school) is poor. They give priority to NJ residents first, and the out-of-staters they accept have higher stats.

                  You should have a shot at NYU though if you apply early enough.

                  HTH.
                  Ye I heard that too well i'll have to apply for way more schools thanks for the advice
                   

                  surgeon

                  Member
                  7+ Year Member
                  15+ Year Member
                  Apr 9, 2004
                  73
                  0
                  NY
                  1. Resident [Any Field]
                    BiOGoly said:
                    According to this website the NYU class entering 2002 had a mean GPA of 3.15. If you assume a std dev of .20 (probably higher?) and a normal distribution, then 21% of the entering class was sub 3.00. :clap:

                    However, I'm sure DAT scores make a big difference here...or credit rating? 75k/year. :eek: !!

                    This is exactly what I was thinking that a good percentage had to be under 3.0. The money doesn't bother me that much I have collateral to back me up.
                     

                    surgeon

                    Member
                    7+ Year Member
                    15+ Year Member
                    Apr 9, 2004
                    73
                    0
                    NY
                    1. Resident [Any Field]
                      Impmail101 said:
                      When I interview at UMDNJ(dec.2003) they said they changed thier policy. They don't give NJ resident priority anymore.

                      Hey surgeon I hope this help
                      have a 3.2 GPA and 18 on the DATs
                      Applied in october to six school.
                      got 4 interview. --- umdnj NYU BU and buffalo

                      went to UMDNJ and NYU
                      Cancelled the other 2 cuz don't wanna move out of NYC
                      u can see that i don't have stellar grades!!!!!!!!!!!
                      therefore don't let any one get u down u will be OK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      just work hard ;)
                      i'll be attending NYU in the fall and can't wait
                      Thanks for the inspiration
                       
                      About the Ads

                      busupshot83

                      S.D.N. Vet
                      7+ Year Member
                      15+ Year Member
                      Mar 23, 2003
                      2,247
                      3
                      37
                      Texas
                        SloppyJoe said:
                        I don't know......Sometimes you hear of people getting in dental school, and they really don't have the stats. It just makes you wonder.

                        Well seriously, I tend not to make judgement on someone based on their undergradate stats. You, nor I, know them, or what they've been through. The more power to them if they make it. :thumbup:
                         

                        bunnytooth

                        Full Member
                        Sep 13, 2009
                        25
                        1
                        1. Pre-Dental
                          Hey Surgeon,

                          Don't ever let yourself down ..GPA is not the only thing that matters..but do be realistic and apply to dental schools with lower GPA requirements....As far as I know your DAT score is really good unless you personally are not satisfied with it ....go ahead....never lose confidence :)
                           

                          Baquettes

                          Full Member
                          5+ Year Member
                          Oct 23, 2009
                          71
                          0
                            Hey Surgeon,

                            Don't ever let yourself down ..GPA is not the only thing that matters..but do be realistic and apply to dental schools with lower GPA requirements....As far as I know your DAT score is really good unless you personally are not satisfied with it ....go ahead....never lose confidence :)

                            This thread has been over 6 years old. How did you manage to pull it up and offer an insensible advice here?:confused:
                             

                            suz323

                            New Member
                            Apr 24, 2010
                            7
                            0
                            1. Pre-Dental
                              I don't know how much this will help, but I've talked to admissions at some schools, and what they said....
                              - Having a low GPA and/or DAT score is obviously not going to help, but that doesn't mean your chances of getting in are impossible.
                              - They look at the overall/big picture. (i.e. your extracurriculars, possibly an upward trend in your academics, etc.)
                              - It's more of how you can contribute to the class. They like diversity.

                              I'd say if you have a strong application (i.e. personal statement, recommendations, extracurriculars, etc.) without the numbers, go for it.
                               
                              About the Ads

                              pumpUup

                              Full Member
                              Mar 21, 2010
                              145
                              0
                                Hey Surgeon,

                                Don't ever let yourself down ..GPA is not the only thing that matters..but do be realistic and apply to dental schools with lower GPA requirements....As far as I know your DAT score is really good unless you personally are not satisfied with it ....go ahead....never lose confidence :)

                                I believe that Surgeon already graduated from DS and already a dentist who is thinking about when to retire instead of when to get into another dental school to repeat the curriculum :laugh:
                                 

                                americanpierg

                                Senior Member
                                10+ Year Member
                                5+ Year Member
                                Dec 8, 2005
                                1,337
                                4
                                1. Dental Student
                                  nyu is 64/year w/o room and board. yes, its ridiculous. room and board will run you an extra 25 or something(not sure)

                                  yea its freakin crazy. nyu and bu are right around 65k per year JUST on school expensives alone (tuition + books/fees), then you gotta figure in another 20-30k for living expenses. USC if I remember correctly was 75k a year tuition ALONE.

                                  ~350k in loans at 6-8% interest... i dont understand how those kids do it. interest alone on a 10 year payment plan is closing in on 30,000 a year...
                                   

                                  Lethstang

                                  Full Member
                                  7+ Year Member
                                  Oct 4, 2009
                                  488
                                  15
                                  1. Dentist
                                    guys,

                                    most of you are quoting stats from years ago. I called around to a few schools this year, their stats due to competition have jumped, on average, .2 gpa and 1 dat point (from our last excel spreadsheet of stats here on sdn). i called three schools, nova, nyu, and UT. UT declined to comment (whatchu want our stats fo, why do you want them?.) stay classy UT.

                                    its gotten much more competitive guys.
                                     

                                    Lethstang

                                    Full Member
                                    7+ Year Member
                                    Oct 4, 2009
                                    488
                                    15
                                    1. Dentist
                                      also guys,

                                      to everyone who is saying nyu is too expensive.

                                      if an expensive school is the only place you get accepted, its more than worth it. the amount of money youll make in dentistry compared to what else you would do is more than enough to make your payments. unless your alternative is wall street or something you know youre going to bank at.

                                      if you have any doubt about getting in this cycle, apply to the expensive schools. and then thank god if you get in.
                                       
                                      About the Ads
                                      This thread is more than 5 years old.

                                      Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

                                      1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                                      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                                      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                                      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                      7. This thread is locked.