Help! Uploaded too many LOR's to AACOMAS!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

almostnever

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was a bit overzealous with my LOR uploading to AACOMAS, thinking it was like AMCAS where I could pick and choose where to send each letter. Unfortunately, I've already had 5 of my 6 LOR's (2 science, 1 research, 1 clinical, 1 mentor, and just waiting on my DO letter) confirmed and can't delete them off of AACOMAS.

Will schools requiring only 2 or 3 very specific LOR's be pissed off by this, or is there a way to send them specific LOR's again upon secondary invites?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You should've read the instructions and figured out you couldn't change it once you submitted. This is typical pre-med neuroticism. Your schools will receive every single one of your LOR.

You're fine. Relax.

Some DO schools require a committee letter if your undergraduate college has a committee, so be careful about that.

@mathnerd88 Oh well, what's done is done. I was hoping someone in a similar previous situation would comment and offer some useful advice...

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually some do, hence my concern.

Which schools don't want more than three? My health committee is going to send a committee letter and all the supporting letters, just because that's their policy.

Midwestern-Chicago for one. I don't have a committee letter since my school doesn't offer one, so I'm not sure how that works, but some schools do explicitly ask for XYZ letters and no more if no committee letter.

Midwestern-Chicago for one. I don't have a committee letter since my school doesn't offer one, so I'm not sure how that works, but some schools do explicitly ask for XYZ letters and no more if no committee letter.

This is what Midwestern says about LOR:
  1. Two letters of recommendation
    • One letter from either a premedical advisory committee, prehealth advisor or basic science professor who has taught the applicant
    • Second letter from either a U.S. licensed D.O. or M.D. Letters from osteopathic physicians are strongly recommended. Letters written by immediate family members are not acceptable
    • Letters of recommendation must be submitted by the evaluators. Letters submitted by students are not accepted.
Where does it say that you cannot submit more than 2 letters? It just says 2 are required, but nowhere it says that you cannot submit more than 2.

If they say they want 2 LOR's and are very specific about what they want, what makes you think they'd like to be bombarded with more than that???

OP: I know there is one school or two that specifically state they don't want more than x number of letters, but most schools won't mind the extra letters.

If they say they want 2 LOR's and are very specific about what they want, what makes you think they'd like to be bombarded with more than that???
They're prerequisites...
Let's say they ask for a year of biology as a prerequisite. Are they going to be mad that you took 3 years of biology courses?

OP: I know there is one school or two that specifically state they don't want more than x number of letters, but most schools won't mind the extra letters.

Can you tell me which schools don't want more than 5 letters?

I mean it's more like they discourage it. So I take that as I better not bombard them with letters. Marian is one, for example.

on their website:
  • May I submit more than the required three letters of recommendation?
    Yes, but it is not encouraged. Any additional letter(s) of recommendation (LOR) should touch on something not mentioned in previous LORs. Additional LORs that repeat the same information are not helpful to an application.

I mean it's more like they discourage it. So I take that as I better not bombard them with letters. Marian is one, for example.

on their website:
    Yes, but it is not encouraged. Any additional letter(s) of recommendation (LOR) should touch on something not mentioned in previous LORs. Additional LORs that repeat the same information are not helpful to an application.

While Marian discourages having extra LORs, it won't cause you a rejection. All DO schools know that these LOR is standardized. Every school on AACOMAS gets the same amount of LOR's.

But it doesn't say that they absolutely do not want more than 3 letters. They just say they don't want repeated extra letters that say exactly the same thing.

While Marian discourages having extra LORs, it won't cause you a rejection. All DO schools know that these LOR is standardized. Every school on AACOMAS gets the same amount of LOR's.

But it doesn't say that they absolutely do not want more than 3 letters. They just say they don't want repeated extra letters.

Yeah, I hear you. That's what I was trying to tell OP. There are only couple of schools that say they don't want more than x number of letters - they won't reject you for sending more.

on their website:

How am I supposed to know if one of LOR's has some info that a previous one does not have? I have no idea what any of my LOR say due to the confidentiality.

How am I supposed to know if one of LOR's has some info that a previous one does not have? I have no idea what any of my LOR say due to the confidentiality.

You don't. But they won't reject you over 2 minutes of glancing over an extra LOR.

This is typical pre-med neuroticism. Your schools will receive every single one of your LOR.
6m.jpg