youngrace

10+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2005
Status
okay, i'm seriously considering med school (like everyone here)...if i have the opportunity to drop a class i know i'm going to get a b+ in (non-science), should i do it (without a "w," etc.)? i have about two hours to decide--please help!

thanks in advance!

skidmark

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2003
Visit site
Status
youngrace said:
okay, i'm seriously considering med school (like everyone here)...if i have the opportunity to drop a class i know i'm going to get a b+ in (non-science), should i do it (w/o a "w," etc.)? i have about two hours to decide--please help!

thanks in advance!

shhhhhhhh. noone reply.

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
Status
Medical Student
Absolutely not! A B+??? In a non-science? it might seem like the end of the world now but you'll soon realize that not all premeds have 4.0s and many would covet that B+. Best of luck!

Larsitron

Mac Addict
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2005
Rochester, NY
Status
Medical Student
I'm of the belief that one or two W's won't hurt a person. So long as it's not a pattern...though depending on your situation, you may want to realize that a B+ is not the end of the world. 'Cause, you know, it's not.

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
Status
Medical Student
skidmark said:
shhhhhhhh. noone reply.
oops sorry I already did..your post wasn't there when i started mine. Anyway don't you remember when you got your firstB+? Weren't you freaked out until you realized a B+ was actually a good grade?

lfesiam

Regional Guy for Hire!
10+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
drop it if you want a perfect record and if the B+ is draging your A average down, i.e dean's list type of award or honors (3.7 or above)

otherwise, B+ is not too shabby

skiracer90

go sox!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2004
Northeast
Status
I would take a B+ over a W any day. One class will not seriously impact your GPA after 4 years of school...plus, a B+ isn't exaclty a horrible grade...

virilep

What can Brown do for u?
15+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2004
Visit site
Status
youngrace said:
okay, i'm seriously considering med school (like everyone here)...if i have the opportunity to drop a class i know i'm going to get a b+ in (non-science), should i do it (without a "w," etc.)? i have about two hours to decide--please help!

thanks in advance!
dude, don't drop it...

fun8stuff

*hiding from patients*
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2003
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
youngrace said:
okay, i'm seriously considering med school (like everyone here)...if i have the opportunity to drop a class i know i'm going to get a b+ in (non-science), should i do it (w/o a "w," etc.)? i have about two hours to decide--please help!

thanks in advance!

if you have a 4.0 that you don't want to lose, don't care about the class, don't have other W's, and the class is a "crap" class that will not make a difference.... like if you think when an adcom sees it he/she would not care about the significance of the class, then taking a W might be all right.

However, a B+ is not that bad. One B+ isn't going to meam anything in the long run.

rme04

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
the other side of the tracks
Status
Medical Student
at my undergrad a b+ was a sweet grade, but if its going to f*** things up for you, then i wouldn't sweat the W. I have a W on my transcript, and no one has ever asked me about it.

skidmark

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2003
Visit site
Status
Psycho Doctor said:
oops sorry I already did..your post wasn't there when i started mine. Anyway don't you remember when you got your firstB+? Weren't you freaked out until you realized a B+ was actually a good grade?

Not a prob. I knew someone would help out, I was just trying to point out how silly the OP's question was. I'm not knocking the OP because I do remember how stressful undergrad years were and the whole med application thing. I actually got my first B dduring Junior year, at first it did suck but on the other hand I no longer had the stress of trying to maintain a 4.0.

My advice: obviously gpa isn't everything and one b (which isn't bad) is not gonna hurt you. Especially if it is a nonscience. The only reason not to drop is to maintain 4.0. Good luck with your application. As long as you maintain above a 3.5 your grades should not hurt you.