HELP, VCU (D.5) or Dalhousie??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golfpro3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would really appreciate anyones advice, or any pros or cons to help us make our decision!!

Well, I got a letter from VCU today telling me that I have been accepted to VCU's D.5 program, where it will take me 5 years to graduate from dental school. In the D.5, I would take only 5 classes the whole first year with the first year dental students (Dental Biochemistry, Genetics, Microbiology, Physiology, and some dental education class) and I would have to recieve a MINIMUM grade of B in every class, and than I would be accepted for the next fall. I wouldn't have to take those classes over again the next year.

Anyway, VCU is only giving me like less than a week to let them know if I will accept. I have already been accepted to Dalhousie Dental School in Nova Scotia. SO I could really use any help anyone may have for me so we will be able to make our decision.

First, I need to call VCU and ask them if I could still be accepted for the normal 4 year thing, and if the D.5 is like a waitlist also??

I think my wife thinks the weather would be better in Virginia, But right now at this point I am leaning more toward Dalhousie because it is a year shorter, a little cheaper (unless I could get instate in Virginia?), and I'm guarenteed not to get kicked out even I happen to get less than a B in my first year. However, I really do like VCU and Viginia, and I have a few friends already there.

What do you all think? What would you do or take into consideration while making your decision?? I look foward to reading your posts. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Golf,

I honestly think youre making this harder on yourself than you have to. In my opinion, you cant put a price on a year. You're going to gain one year by going to Dalhousie and youre gonna save money on cost, so its a win win situation. Plus, in that year when at VCU youd be doing your 4th year, youre gonna be making 100Gs minimum. Cmon. The weather is roughly the same. Nova Scotia a little bit colder, but who cares?? Take a coat right.

And as for the friends part. You seem like a nice guy. Youll make new friends, and Canadians are friendly as heck. Plus, with all the advice given to you on your last thread regarding Dalhousies facutly, location, cost etc etc. I think its an easy decision, atleast it would be for me. Dalhousie for sure!

Good luck!

Vishal

to the OP:

Well, I think you have to figure out what's important to you, and make a decision from there.

For example, the most important thing to me is time. Once it's gone, you can never get it back, so I would want to spend it wisely and go to the shorter program. I also like the idea of expanding my horizons and going somewhere new. Money is not my most important consideration, but the U.S.-Canadian exchange rate is pretty hard to ignore. :D These are my preferences and YMMV of course.

So figure out what's important to you, and go from there!

HTH!

Members don't see this ad :)
go to the Nova Scotia program. I went to medical school at the MCV or VCU hospital system and I personally think VCU's dental school is not that great and you will not like the deep south mentality there. CmonRichmond being the ex confederate capital?? Life in Richmond is black and white.
Go North stay away from the South.

Golfpro,
The D.5 program at VCU is a great program, but it is not a cake walk. Several students have not made the minimum grade these past few years and it may be harder with Physiology now thrown into the mix. If you are confident in your academic skills then come here. Really the classes are not that bad and the students who didn't make the grade were major procrastinators. You obviously have the academic capability to succeed, otherwise you wouldn't have these choices! I also know at VCU your wife and family will be happy and well taken care of because of the large numbers of westerners out here. That to me is very important. When I am at school my wife and kid are surrounded by others who are in the exact same situation as she is. She always has company and is never homesick because of the other mothers. BUT you have a for sure thing in Nova Scotia and that may be hard to pass up. I guess you just need to think about everything a little more. Either way you choose, it's a win-win situation!
Good luck with everything! I hope to see you in Richmond this fall!

vietho26 said:
go to the Nova Scotia program. I went to medical school at the MCV or VCU hospital system and I personally think VCU's dental school is not that great and you will not like the deep south mentality there. CmonRichmond being the ex confederate capital?? Life in Richmond is black and white.
Go North stay away from the South.

[RANT]
That's probably one of the most ignorant statements I've heard in a long
time. Racism and all other forms of biggotry are everywhere, not just in
the 'deep south' if you can even consider Richmond the deep south. There
are many great schools (dental and otherwise) and some exceedingly fine
culture in the south. Don't let the ignorance of someone who hasn't
experienced it dissuade you.
[/RANT]

Does VCU's D.5 program give you automatic acceptance into the
next year's class provided you fulfill all of their criteria?

Packbacker,
To answer your question, yes! If you get a "B" or 80% and above in all the required classes, then yes, you are automatically accepted into the next freshman class. VCU usually accpets 15-20 D.5 students per year.

I couldn't get ahold of VCU today and I called like 10 times. Does anyone know if I would still have a chance for the normal year program and if the D.5 is like a waitlist also?? I'm just wondering. Also do you think There would be a better chance of getting in-state tuition by being there 5 years and buying a house and stuff in Virginia?

packbacker said:
[RANT]
That's probably one of the most ignorant statements I've heard in a long
time. Racism and all other forms of biggotry are everywhere, not just in
the 'deep south' if you can even consider Richmond the deep south. There
are many great schools (dental and otherwise) and some exceedingly fine
culture in the south. Don't let the ignorance of someone who hasn't
experienced it dissuade you.
[/RANT]

Does VCU's D.5 program give you automatic acceptance into the
next year's class provided you fulfill all of their criteria?

packbacker,
FYI- I went to high school in Miami, Florida a very cosmopolitan and Latino environment. I experienced the gracious southern hospitality of Alabama when I attended space academy in Huntsville, Alabama. I always went to Mardi Gras every year during my four years at the University of Virginia. I have relatives who live in Atlanta, Georgia and I love the Coke museum and city of Atlanta. SO TELL ME IF I MISSED ANY SPLENDID CULTURE OF THE SOUTH.
What I am talking about my experience at MCV can be backed up by a good handful of non-white health professional students who came from a totally different environment like California, New York, Chicago, etc. unlike the one in Richmond, VA. When an attending physician gives the white students a higher evaluation and easier pimping session than the Persian girl in my group from San Diego, California you wonder why. When you hear a white attending physician and the director of ob/gyn call a black student "cottonhead" when they think no one else is in the hallway you wonder why. When hear the chief resident fail a Korean girl in the surgery rotation but high passed the other white students in the group you wonder why. When you hear Dr. Nichols having multiple discrimination complaints from other black and indian students you wonder why. When you hear a Chinese pharmacy student getting chewed out on a rotation and told to repeat a year when she still passed all her written exams you wonder why. When you hear Dr. Zuesler tell an asian medical student that he didn't match at any of the 7 orthopedic residencies that he interviewed at because of his "culture" you wonder why.

SO PLEASE TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK IS SO IGNORANT THAT YOU HAD TO QUOTE AND RANT ABOUT. I didn't believe this bogotry BS until I saw it and heard with my own ears. I along with other students were naive that yeah... once you get into medical school they will help you get through it and treat us all equally and fairly since we all sacrificed so much to be there. We are all God's children and deserved to be cared for equally just like when we care for all of our patients no matter what color we are.
You couldn't do anything about but just shut your damn mouth and bust your chops to pass the national board exams so you could peacefully graduate and get your M.D.

Thank you for your time.

Hi, it sounds to me that vcu?s D.5 program is a conditional acceptance. You will be there this fall, but not in yet. I feel that it is just like another 1 year predental program, in which you also have to do well. If you work hard, you will pass. Besides it will give you plenty of free time next year.

But personally I would avoid such uncertainty (not a risk taker here). Getting all Bs could be stressful because dental students are quite competitive. Like many people have said on this board, where we go to school is not the most important considering our goals, which is to get into dental school, learn stuff, and get out. Uncertainties along any step of this path should be minimized if possible. After all, security/certainty is one of the reasons many dentists are in this business. I feel that it may give us a better sleep when we finish a task, check it off, and move on, rather than to put a question mark next to it for a year.

Just my personal opinion.

Good luck!

Sounds like the VCU's D.5 program is just like the Nova's MBS program where it's a remedial opportunity for applicants to gain full admission. It's basically like a conditional acceptance. In Nova's MBS program, you also need to earn all Bs to get into the official dental school.

If I were you, you need evaluate where you would like to practice in the future. If you wish to practice in the United States, then do the VCU's D.5 program. If you don't care about practicing in the US, then I would personally go to Dalhousie. Also, if you wish to specialize in the United States, then going to dental schools in the US would help also.

Good luck in your decision. I say you stay with Dalhousie.

vietho26: Point taken. But realize that biggotry is everywhere, not just in
the south. Rodney King can attest to that. I'll continue this conversation on
PM if you'd like. No need for us to clutter up this thread.

Yah-E: I didn't realize that Nova had a similar program. Any idea what
percentage of students take that route?

GolfPro: Virginia has a lot to offer and Richmond is a diverse town with a
great atmosphere. Consider you'll be about 2 hours away from DC, 2 hours
from Charlottesville (UVA) in the beautiful mountains, and 2 hours away from
Virginia Beach. I've heard mixed reviews on the dental school, but it's hard
to gauge how much of that is disgruntled students and how much is reality.
How was your interview/visit to the campus?

Hi,

Are you a student there right now?

The D5 seems pretty reasonable in that you don't have more than 2/3 classes per semester, so if you can't get a B then you'd be in bigger trouble given that normal D1 has labs and way more classes.

Do you know anyone who started out in D5 and is a classmate of yours now?

I'm looking for housing right now, on-campus/nearby. Any ideas how I can go about doing this? THANKS.

cochino said:
Packbacker,
To answer your question, yes! If you get a "B" or 80% and above in all the required classes, then yes, you are automatically accepted into the next freshman class. VCU usually accpets 15-20 D.5 students per year.

Crankys said:
Hi,

Are you a student there right now?

The D5 seems pretty reasonable in that you don't have more than 2/3 classes per semester, so if you can't get a B then you'd be in bigger trouble given that normal D1 has labs and way more classes.

Do you know anyone who started out in D5 and is a classmate of yours now?

I'm looking for housing right now, on-campus/nearby. Any ideas how I can go about doing this? THANKS.
You realize this thread is over two years old, right? :) I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for the OP to respond.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: OMG! I didn't realize it till you said something. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!