MD & DO Help w/ School List 3.85/506 URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

listelle

Reaction score
Hi!

I have been pretty stressed lately after receiving a 506 on my MCAT (my average FL was a 512) and I am redoing my school list. I dont really have the money to retake the exam and I have already paid for some applications this cycle so I am just going to hope for the best and write amazing essays. Anyways I'd like to apply MD but I will also be applying DO since my MCAT is a little low but here are my stats/ECs:

URM: Mexican (fluent in Spanish, 1st language) I also am working on my Medical Translator cert in Spanish
sGPA: 3.87 cGPA: 3.85 (constant trend)
Major: Psychology
State of Residence: CA, undergrad UCLA
Research Experience: 1 abstract published about public health, working in a lab as an RA ~ 70 hours (due to pandemic)
Clinical Experience (paid or volunteer): paid 400+ hours EMT, volunteer at retirement home (80+ hours), Internship at Hospital (200+ hours)
Physician Shadowing: 1 MD, 50+ hours, she was the President of the American Pediatric Association and wrote one of my LOR
Non-Clinical Volunteering: translator/volunteer at local food bank (80 hours) this was something I did whenever I was home w/ my grandma thats why its low
Leadership: Learning Assistant for Organic Chemistry, Board Member of Pre Health club
Other Extracurricular Activities: horse trainer, have my own environmental blog which is pretty popular, phlebotomy license, study abroad in Japan

Theme: I have mainly worked with homeless and addiction patients so many of my essays talk about mental health patients and homeless patients being underserved and working with them/wanting to continue working with them in the future
Specialty of Interest (if applicable): Neurology

If you guys have any recommendations for schools that would be super helpful. I have a list of schools where my MCAT is in the 10-25th percentile but I'm not sure if I should just stick to DO with my MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You are underestimating your chances for MD schools. URM Mexican who are fluent in Spanish are greatly desired by some schools. I suggest all these schools with your stats:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
New York Medical College
Einstein
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
NOVA MD
Miami
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Central Florida
Tulane
TCU-UNT
Creighton
St. Louis
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
California University
Kaiser
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC Riverside (if you are from that region)
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
You are competitive for all DO schools so apply to several that appeal to you.

Reactions: 1 users
You are underestimating your chances for MD schools. URM Mexican who are fluent in Spanish are greatly desired by some schools. I suggest all these schools with your stats:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
New York Medical College
Einstein
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
NOVA MD
Miami
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Central Florida
Tulane
TCU-UNT
Creighton
St. Louis
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
California University
Kaiser
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC Riverside (if you are from that region)
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
You are competitive for all DO schools so apply to several that appeal to you.
thank you so much!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I didn’t know that was a thing. How exactly would I do that? Reach out?