Help W/ School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kevin SM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For Stats please look at below link:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/pre-med-chances-top-schools.1189770/

Keep in mind I'm Ohio Resident. ORM. 21.

School List:

State Schools:
Ohio State University
Case Western Reserve University*
University of Cincinnati
University of Toledo

Non-State Schools:
Harvard
Stanford*
JHU*
Penn
WUSTL
Columbia*
Duke*
Yale
UChicago*
NYU
Cornell*
Mayo
Northwestern
UM-Ann Arbor*
Icahn/Mt. Sinai*
UNC - Chapel Hill
U Virginia
Boston University
Indiana University
Wayne State University
Oakland University

* Preferred

This is probably top heavy but that's why I'm asking you guys to help me shave off a few and include some more mid tiers.

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest
Ohio State University
University of Cincinnati
University of Toledo

Non-State Schools:
Harvard
Stanford*
JHU*
Penn
WUSTL
Columbia*
Duke*
Yale
UChicago*
NYU
Cornell*
Mayo
Northwestern
UM-Ann Arbor*
Icahn/Mt. Sinai*
U Virginia
Boston University
Indiana University
Keck
Tulane
Hofstra
Emory
Vandy
Miami
Dartmouth
Pitt
U VT
Einstein
Baylor
Sinai

This is probably top heavy but that's why I'm asking you guys to help me shave off a few and include some more mid tiers.[/QUOTE]

I suggest
Ohio State University
University of Cincinnati
University of Toledo

Non-State Schools:
Harvard
Stanford*
JHU*
Penn
WUSTL
Columbia*
Duke*
Yale
UChicago*
NYU
Cornell*
Mayo
Northwestern
UM-Ann Arbor*
Icahn/Mt. Sinai*
U Virginia
Boston University
Indiana University
Keck
Tulane
Hofstra
Emory
Vandy
Miami
Dartmouth
Pitt
U VT
Einstein
Baylor
Sinai
Any recommendations for getting this down to 30 schools? instead of 34.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any recommendations for getting this down to 30 schools? instead of 34.

Any school you apply to outside of Ohio should be a reach that you would go to over any of your Ohio state schools and their cheap tuition if accepted. And honestly, with Ohio State and Cincinnati's in-state tuition, even the Hofstra's and Boston U's of the world I personally dont really see too much point in bothering with. Make it top 20 or bust for OOS schools.

You have more than enough state schools and "safeties" in your state and of varying tiers/varieties. Look at this way, if for some wild chance there was something so off with your app and interview that not one of the schools in your state which have every incentive to accept you would want you, no OOS would either.

Pick four cities you don't want spend four years in.
hahaha, that is definitely great advice.

Any school you apply to outside of Ohio should be a reach that you would go to over any of your Ohio state schools and their cheap tuition if accepted. And honestly, with Ohio State and Cincinnati's in-state tuition, even the Hofstra's and Boston U's of the world I personally dont really see too much point in bothering with. Make it top 20 or bust for OOS schools.

You have more than enough state schools and "safeties" in your state and of varying tiers/varieties. Look at this way, if for some wild chance there was something so off with your app and interview that not one of the schools in your state which have every incentive to accept you would want you, no OOS would either.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking but at the same time I'm nervous because I don't want to spend an entire extra year to reapply because for some reason my instate schools denied me.

hahaha, that is definitely great advice.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking but at the same time I'm nervous because I don't want to spend an entire extra year to reapply because for some reason my instate schools denied me.

I think one of the things SDN sometimes forgets is it is alot of time and effort to write 25-30+ secondaries, enough that it can start to effect the quality of all of them.

You have 3 lower tier state schools, Ohio State and Cincinnati. You really shouldnt have any problems getting IIs at a number of these schools. Nobody can predict admission but worrying over highly unlikely things isnt ideal and even in this instance the Oakland's and U of Vermont's of the world arent going to come running to take an Ohio resident with these stats that Wright State, Cincinnati, Ohio State, NEOMED AND Toledo all decline to. In this hypothetical, those flaws in such an applicant with a 3.9/36 that schools like Wright State are passing on will almost guaranteed to be too much for an OOS school where itll be much harder to get in to overcome.

When you have the stats and your ECs are up to par, I really dont think schools like Keck, Emory and Boston U are going to be any higher yield than the top 20 Pitt's and Northwestern's of the world. The latter's OOS matriculant/OOS app ratio is much more favorable and they also will have a greater proportion of applicants that arent competitive. All I can say is, me personally I would go mostly Top 20 or bust OOS with a few exceptions here and there perhaps.