HELP! What are my chances? 28 MCAT, 3.6C, 3.54S

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ac2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to apply next cycle and I'm wondering what my chances are.
23 year old female, Virginia resident

1st MCAT 9-8-9
2nd MCAT 10-8-10

Cumulative GPA- 3.60
Science GPA- 3.54

Volunteered at Local Hospital working with elderly patients for 2.5 years
Private Tutor throughout college
America Counts Program (2 years): Tutored local disadvantaged elementary students
Mentor to College Freshman Scholars Program (1 year)
Internship for Advocacy Group to decrease water bottle usage on campus (1 semester-150 hours)
Shadowed with Internist (MD)- 100 hours
Shadowed with Internist (DO)-100 hours
Interned at the National Institutes of Health every summer during college
Current Post-bac at the NIH
3 publications (2 first author)
2 presentations
Part of cultural dance group

I am planning on applying to 15 osteopathic and 30 allopathic schools. Is there even a point in applying to allopathic schools with my scores?

Members don't see this ad.

So far I was thinking of applying to:

1) VCU
2) EVMS
3) Virginia Tech Carilion
4) Drexel
5) NYMC
6) Jefferson Medical College
7) WVU
8) Marshall
9) Temple
10) GWU
11) Howard
12) Tennessee State
13) East Tennessee State
14) Meharry
15) Michigan State
16) Wayne State
17) Wright State
18) Florida International University
19) Cooper Rowan
20) Rosalind Franklin
21) Rush Medical College
22) Commonwealth Medical College
23) University of Toledo
24) Penn State
25) University of North Dakota

Members don't see this ad :)
I forgot to mention that I'm caucasian.

Well, I am not one of those people who think that your stats are everything, but sometimes that can limit your ability to get secondaries due to being "screened out." If you have an MSAR book, I would look up what stat ranges are for the schools that you are interested and see where you fall. That is if you dont want to waste money that is.

That's what I did. I looked through the MSAR and made sure that the schools had accepted students with 28's. I still don't know if I should even apply to the allopathic schools with my stats.

That's what I did. I looked through the MSAR and made sure that the schools had accepted students with 28's. I still don't know if I should even apply to the allopathic schools with my stats.
Now you need to look at whether mission-based schools (e.g.Howard and Meharry) are in alignment with your validated interests and whether the schools on your list have a strong regional preference that may not include you (N Dakota).

So far I was thinking of applying to:

1) VCU
2) EVMS
4) Drexel
5) NYMC
7) WVU
8) Marshall
9) Temple
10) GWU
11) Howard
12) Tennessee State
13) East Tennessee State
14) Meharry
15) Michigan State
16) Wayne State
17) Wright State
19) Cooper Rowan
20) Rosalind Franklin
21) Rush Medical College
23) University of Toledo
24) Penn State

My MSAR expired but I think WVU and Marshall both require strong in-state ties for a reasonable chance of acceptance. Wright state has absolutely ridiculous OOS tuition -- $80k/year, if I remember correctly. I'm not sure about North Dakota but I think they only accept IS applicants? Howard and Meharry have a predominately black student population, so they're probably going to look at your EC list for significant exposure to medicine in black communities.

Last edited:
Is there even a point in applying to the allopathic schools with my stats?

Buy a copy of the MSAR. You're at or above the 10th percentile MCAT for many "lower-tier" allopathic schools. I'm not sure about GPAs.

Now you need to look at whether mission-based schools (e.g.Howard and Meharry) are in alignment with your validated interests and whether the schools on your list have a strong regional preference that may not include you (N Dakota).

This ^. I agree, also look at the schools interestd/mission and that of your own. Also, the regional preference for either in state or out state can put you in an either a favorable or unfavorable position at a given school.

Which allopathic schools would I have the best shot at?

I have bought the MSAR. That's how I came up with the list I posted.

I have bought the MSAR. That's how I came up with the list I posted.

I can't remember what the link is, but each school has a break down where it lists in-state, out-of-state, and total students. I believe they also list student population by race.

Any chance of retaking the MCAT? 2-3 pt. increase will definitely allow you to have some good chances for mid-tiers.
Well, if you don't I'd understand. Take a lot out of you that test does. You definitely want to apply to a good amount (4-5 DO schools)
because you're stats aren't very stellar for MDs but you'd be a shoo-in for DOs. Obviously, you worked hard very your GPA and probably
your MCAT too so I think you could definitely have a shot at a couple of MDs. I've recommended 5 more schools.

Add

DO:
MSUCOM

MD:

Tulane
Florida State
Northeastern Ohio
Morehouse (sp? might be disadvantaged)

1) VCU
2) EVMS-deff apply here
4) Drexel
5) NYMC
7) WVU
8) Marshall-deff apply here
9) Temple
10) GWU
11) Howard - this might be for disadvantaged...idk
12) Tennessee State
13) East Tennessee State
14) Meharry
15) Michigan State
16) Wayne State
17) Wright State
19) Cooper Rowan
20) Rosalind Franklin
21) Rush Medical College
23) University of Toledo
24) Penn State

KEEP LOOKING! Forget your stats now if you don't wanna take the MCAT again. WORK VERY HARD on your apps and sell yourself brilliantly. Read up on interview prep. You have a coin tosses chance (maybe better) at an MD IMO.

Your stats are quite low in both MCAT and GPA categories but your ECs are excellent!

Last edited:

Yes, look at the MSAR though. Some like N. Dakota are really highly IS students though.