Help!!! What are my chances for MPH?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mimiQ

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions or feedback are welcome! PLEASE HELP!

I am an international student but I have my undergraduate study here in the U.S. My major is Public Health (school is CEPH accredited) so I have already had some solid coursework in the field. I am taking Biostat this semester and Epi next semester. I have also taken other ph courses, including health system, healthcare economics, public health research, and international health. My GPA is 3.972.

I had an community health internship in New York City this past summer. I have done other internships in previous summers but they are not related to public health. I also do not have much research experience. Is this going to hurt my chances? :(

I took the GRE back in June: V 160 Q162 AW 3.5 (writing is not my strength, especially when it is timed *sigh*) I am taking the test in October again in hopes of boosting my score.

I would love to get in to some top MPH programs in the country! But I am kinda worried because I do not have much professional experience in public health. I know a lot of people going into MPH with 2 yr + work experience, and many programs do prefer those applicants. My interests are Global Health and Epidemiology. I feel like Epi is more practical in terms of job opportunities, but I am not sure how to write the PS since I have not had any research/job experience in this.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry about your writing score but seems like you should get another year or so of real work experience before you apply

Members don't see this ad :)
You could definitely use some research and work experience, but the other areas of your application are pretty strong. I dont think your writing score will hurt much if at all.

If you have the time and opportunity, you should def find a public health job and get a year or two of experience. Save money and improve your app.

Your PS does not have to be about research or job experience, though it's often easier to write those. If you dont get work experience, you can write it on your internship or a personal health experience.

Thank you! I am in the process of looking for a public health job. It is not easy because of my international student status, but I will keep trying!

Mimi: I agree with others that work experience would benefit your career in public health, but I don't think there's much downside to applying to both MPH programs and jobs concurrently.

On your international status - apply for optional practical training (OPT), the one-year post degree work experience authorization, through your school's international student office. You should apply about three months before you graduate or as soon as possible after graduating. If you are doing an undergrad degree in public health, I'm betting you are probably at one of the top public health schools in the US, so there are likely a ton of professors who you could approach for research assistant positions related to your area of interest in global health epi.

good luck - mb.

I would highly recommend getting another year or two of work experience before you apply. Even if you get in, you are not going to be competitive during recruiting season against all your peers who will have a couple years of work experience and it's going to be tough to get a job after school with no non-internship work experience, even if you do go to a top school.

Mimi: I agree with others that work experience would benefit your career in public health, but I don't think there's much downside to applying to both MPH programs and jobs concurrently.

On your international status - apply for optional practical training (OPT), the one-year post degree work experience authorization, through your school's international student office. You should apply about three months before you graduate or as soon as possible after graduating. If you are doing an undergrad degree in public health, I'm betting you are probably at one of the top public health schools in the US, so there are likely a ton of professors who you could approach for research assistant positions related to your area of interest in global health epi.

good luck - mb.

Thanks for your advice! Unfortunately my public health school is not one of the top, and I honestly don't think any faculty does international health research. Do you think that getting that one-year post degree work experience is more important for me right now than applying for MPH program? After reading everyone's comment, I am starting to think more about getting a job first....