Help! what classes to take?

osumc2014

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2007
  1. Resident [Any Field]
    I am a sophmore right now and will finish all preqs by end of this quarter including MolGen. I want to take the MCATs next Jan and I want to have finished all of the recommended classes for it by then. At our school that would mean I only have 2 quarters before that summer included. I want to take microbiology (for my major) and biochem in the fall and some kind of evolution physiology class this summer but its not offered in the summer. Should I take that class next fall as well? That would mean 3 major classes that quarter including my MCAT class, would I be able to handle that? If not is physiology/anatomy that important to take before MCATs or can I just study for that part my self? I took AP bio about 3 years ago in high school so idk if I'd remember.
    Any advice would be appreciated thanks!!!

tardyturtle

10+ Year Member
    Mar 1, 2008
    1. Pre-Medical
      Several classes are important for the MCAT, but not 100% essential.

My advice: if you're going to take the classes at some point either take them all in the fall, or put one off until the winter and take the MCAT a little later. They will definitely help you. You can do those three classes in the same semester, it's just a question of how hard you're willing to work.

As far as BIO is concerned, that's a tough subject. I'd imagine you could review for that on your own; however, make sure that the med schools you want to apply for will accept the AP credit. Some med schools either don't accept the AP credits or frown upon them.

JA Prufrock

Serenity Now!
      10+ Year Member
      Mar 31, 2008
      1. Pre-Medical
        Several classes are important for the MCAT, but not 100% essential.

My advice: if you're going to take the classes at some point either take them all in the fall, or put one off until the winter and take the MCAT a little later. They will definitely help you. You can do those three classes in the same semester, it's just a question of how hard you're willing to work.

As far as BIO is concerned, that's a tough subject. I'd imagine you could review for that on your own; however, make sure that the med schools you want to apply for will accept the AP credit. Some med schools either don't accept the AP credits or frown upon them.

well if he has taken upper division bio classes, I don't think it matters that he placed out of the introductory level courses. That's what I've gathered anyhow.

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.