Help! What kind of chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Keeponchuggin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
message deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For both MD and DO, as for as what I have read on these forums and read on school websites, undergraduate GPA is what matters most.

For MD, you have no shot as is. Your MCAT and GPA are wayyy below the average.

For DO, your MCAT is on par but GPA is still way too low. I really don't know how DO schools value grad GPA, but I know MD schools consider it more as an EC because the grades are usually inflated in masters programs. If you didin't already start your masters, I would say the best route for you is to retake the science courses you did the worst in (C+ or less).

Considering you are a URM you could get shown some love at a DO school. MD I still don't see it happening though..it's just too competitive.

-What is your sGPA?
-What was your GPA breakdown by year in undergrad?
-What is your state of residence?

Although your masters progress is looking fantastic thus far, it won't make up for your undergraduate GPA. Not to mention your MCAT is also below the average for allopathic schools. Your best bet at this point, if you have the money, is to apply to SMP's and see if any reputable ones will take you with your current stats, if not you might have to retake the MCAT or take some post-bacc courses.

If you're open to osteopathic medicine, your MCAT is fine, but you'll need to retake a number of classes to increase your GPA, which should be do-able in a year or two's time.

Members don't see this ad :)
GPA 2.85 (undergrad)
GPA Master in Clinical Nutrition at New York Chiropractic College 4.0 (18 credits so far)
MCAT 28s
Lots of hospital experience <4yrs
Graduate Clinical Nutrition Degree (currently) 4.0 half done
I'm a URM and socioeconomically challenged. Looking back indefinitely worked too much in undergrad, worked two jobs including graveyard during. Got my priorities together doing my masters in clinical nutrition from New York Chiropractic College(got it from AMCAS list of programs). So far I'm 4.0 all my classes definitely upward trend. Input please.
Concentrate your effort in getting your GPAs to 3.0+ and then apply to DO. Your chances at MD do not look good with that subpar GPA even if you are an URM.